TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

My MacBook Air - January 5th 2017, 10:08 PM

I got my MacBook Air for Christmas in 2011. I didn't use it that much in the first few years of having it because it was at my parents' and I was only there on weekends. Beginning March 2015, I kept it with me at my place, and have used it a lot in the past 22 months.

In the past week, the computer keeps freezing for a couple seconds. Firefox has been an issue since last spring, with its every-other-day crashes. It wants me to update but I don't want to update Firefox. I've been moving files from this computer onto Google Drive.

I guess I am just wondering if there's anything I can do to keep the computer alive? We had a Macintosh computer when I was little, it worked from 1989-1998. So, this computer really is only four years younger when you think about it.

When it's finally time to give it up, what do I do with the computer? How can I be sure it's cleared of all its documents?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: My MacBook Air - January 5th 2017, 10:56 PM

How full is your storage? Also, have you done any scans for malware or viruses? Every couple years I backup my computer and do a factory reset and it usually fixes all the problems it had. You can always try that as a last resort if you don't want to spend money on a new laptop! This would clear it of all documents if you did decide to get rid of it, too. You can either sell it, or there's usually centers you can bring it to. You'd probably just need to do a Google search to find one in your area.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My MacBook Air - January 6th 2017, 12:09 AM

If you do have to get rid of it you should probably factory reset it. I believe if you do that, it gets rid of all the old files on your computer. I know my boyfriend did something similar to my computer and we had to save on my files on his USB drive so they wouldn't be lost.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: My MacBook Air - January 6th 2017, 03:27 AM

Firefox is probably crashing because you aren't updating it. Other than firefox crashing, what issues are you having specifically?

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: My MacBook Air - January 6th 2017, 01:14 PM

The firefox is probably crashing because of the lack of updating. That often leads to this stuff. Is there any reason you wouldn't like to update? Your data should be safe.

If you need to sell your laptop, first, back everything up onto a thumb drive, google drive or whatever else you would like. Then a factory reset would clear everything out.
Hope this helps

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Closed Thread