TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 25th 2017, 01:57 AM

Hello!

Is it possible to TEXT someone from your PC? For free?!

If yes - please let me know how.

Thank you!

Craig

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 25th 2017, 03:06 AM

Hey, Craig! I did some research because I'm personally not a huge texter, but I'm a very good Googler.

I've come across five of the most common ways to text from a PC, so I'll describe those below.
- You carrier's website. Depending on your cell phone carrier, you might be able to text from their website. Some examples of those carriers are Verizon and AT&T, but Canada probably has a different variety of carriers from the US. It might still be worth calling your carrier's customer service to ask if this is possible, though!

- iMessage. If you have an Apple PC/phone/tablet/etc and the person you want to text has one, you can text them through iMessage on any device. This obviously isn't very convenient considering you'd both need that specific brand.

- SMS websites. There are tons and tons of free SMS texting websites. The downfalls to them are your privacy is not guaranteed, you may be asked to give out your email, or you might be bombarded with ads. With some you also cannot receive replies, so that is also something to consider.

- Google Voice. This service is limited to the US and Canada, but you can send and receive messages. You can either choose a new phone number or use your current one. It also offers voice calls and voicemail, among other things.

- Email. This one is a bit more complicated, but it does work. On your PC you'd use your email client to send a text, so the message would be sent from your email address instead of your phone number. To send the message you'd open a new email and for the recipient you would type in their phone number and their services gateway address and send it off like an email. So, for a Verizon number it'd look somewhat like this - 1234567890@vtext.com -. Every service provider has a different gateway address. One downfall to this is that when using SMS your message is limited typically to 160 characters per message. If it goes over that limit the message may change to MMS which will sometimes require a different gateway address - depending on the carrier. If you're interested in trying this, let me know and I can explain more if needed.
These services are free, but there's just not that many options that are secure, free, and convenient. In my opinion, Google Voice seems to be the most secure and not horribly inconvenient option.

Hopefully, this was at least a tiny bit helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions! And if anyone else knows of any other options, definitely share them!

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 25th 2017, 05:44 AM

There's an app called pushbullet that connects your phone to your PC and you can text and receive notifications as well as send files to and from your phone. If you have an android, there's airdriod which is similar to pushbullet but if you have your phone rooted then you can do so much more. There's also a website called MightyText which only does texting. It's an app that lets you text on a website.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 25th 2017, 09:46 PM

Sometimes when I don't have a phone or if my phone isn't working at the moment, I use TextNow! They give you a phone number based on the area that you live (so that you have the local area code) and I believe you can also make calls as long as your PC/Laptop has a microphone. I've personally never had issues with it and I think it's great! The only issue is that if you go so long without using that phone number, they will assign you a new number.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 26th 2017, 02:08 AM

As it was mentioned, you can use Google Voice to text through a pc. I have done it many times. If you already have a google email account, it should be fairly easy. You just request a phone number and it is all free.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is it possible to TEXT from your PC? - May 26th 2017, 09:23 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the HELP!!

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread