TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Good tablet? - June 12th 2017, 11:14 PM

I'm considering in investing into a new tablet, as my iPad is starting to show signs of a lot of use over a period of years. I am considering either getting a new iPad to getting a new kindle, the new 8" kindle looks like it'd be very fun to use but I'm used to apple. I mostly use it for games and music and stuff, and I also have amazon prime, another reason I'm considering getting a kindle.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips?

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Good tablet? - June 12th 2017, 11:22 PM

I have the Kindle Fire HD 10" and I really like it. I do mostly read on it but the times I have browsed the internet I have enjoyed it. I have also played games on my kindle from time to time and thought it worked well.

I don't really have an opinion on getting an Ipad instead. I don't really like Apple products because they are overpriced.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Good tablet? - June 13th 2017, 01:58 AM

I don't have an opinion on Kindles because I don't have one.

However, I recently got an iPad Pro and it's really amazing. I use it for school notes, internet surfing, and various other apps and I really like the pencil. I've also heard good things about the new iPad 9.7 as well. I can use the kindle app on my iPad if I have a book that I want to read on it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Good tablet? - June 13th 2017, 06:36 AM

Hey there!
So I've owned an iPad, and played with heaps of other tablets. Really, I say the iPad is the best. Its a great all rounder, and while more expensive, has a way better response rate on the screen, and the lighting is brilliant.
However, if you solely want a tablet to read, go for a kindle. Way better lighting etc for reading. So thats an option.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab, really lacks in my opinion. The response rate etc isn't great. Plus if you're on an iPad there is, to some extent, a learning curve.

All in all I say iPad. But you can pick.
Best of luck choosing!

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Good tablet? - June 13th 2017, 12:18 PM

Before deciding, you should look at the apps you really want to keep using and make sure you can get them on a kindle tablet. It's possible you won't be able to get all the same games/apps, and even if you can make sure there's no apps you really don't want to start over. Progress on any games likely won't carry over from apple to kindle.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Good tablet? - June 13th 2017, 12:25 PM

I'll reply to this based on the two tablets I've used, a couple Kindles and an iPad. I'm also sorry that this is a bit long.

I've had two different Kindles - one when they were still fairly new (no cameras, buggy OS, etc.) and I currently have the HD 10. I've had a fairly good experience with my current Kindle for the most part, but you definitely don't have the same variety of apps with the Kindle app store like you do with Apple or an Android tablet with Google Play. I've gotten around this by side loading the Google Play store and downloading apps from there, but just the Amazon app store by itself is very limited. I can totally explain that process should you decide to do that. One nifty thing Amazon does have is a section named Underground in the app store which has apps that typically cost money for free. I've found some that are usually $15 and I would have never paid that just for an app.

If you do go with a Kindle, I'd recommend investing in at least a 64GB micro SD card to give it a bit of extra storage. I got used to a Kindle fairly easily. I'm not sure if a Kindle in the long run would last as long as an Apple product, but yeah. The iPad I had was gifted to me and lasted about 6 years including the time the person before me had it. The only thing I really dislike about all Apple products is the storage that you buy is all you get. So if you get a 32GB - 128GB iPad (iPad Pro's go up to 512GB), that's all you get. You can't add any. Which can come to be a problem if you have it for a long time and install every update. The space those updates use adds up and some updates you can't avoid installing. That's not including photos, apps, music, etc. Most people don't experience their iPad slowing down or freezing until years after having it. The price of an iPad can also increase very quickly depending on the features you choose.

It also depends on what you want to use it for. With an iPad you can get the best of both worlds by downloading any Kindle related apps, like the reading and store app. In my opinion, the graphics on a HD Kindle are just as good as an iPad. A Kindle is definitely cheaper, but I do think to an extent you get what you pay for. Besides the different operating systems (Apple's, Android's, Windows, etc.) all tablets essentially do the same basic things, just with a different look.

So if you can afford to invest in an iPad and that's what you prefer, go for it. Apple products are definitely overpriced, but they're still high quality and last a long time with proper upkeep. A Kindle is still a good investment compared to other cheap tablets, but beyond that it's up to what you what you prefer and how much you are able to put towards a new tablet.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Good tablet? - June 14th 2017, 01:42 PM

I've decided to go with the kindle! I'll get an iPad maybe later once I've saved up more money. Thanks guys :P

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Good tablet? - June 15th 2017, 08:48 PM

Since you've made your decision I am going to go ahead and close this. I hope you enjoy your Kindle!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
Closed Thread