TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Is there any chance? - August 26th 2017, 06:49 PM

Is there any chance in fixing and/or retrieving the data from a tablet that has a screen like this? (Photo as an attachment)

In June 2016, I damaged my tablet by accident. I was having an anxiety attack on my bed and kicked it off my bed not knowing till a second after what I had done. It flew sideways and bumped into a wooden bedside table which I had moved since then because I'm scared it will happen again ugh.

Since then my dad looked at it and he said it has 10% chance for data recovery and only if the motherboard and hard drive are not attached to each other. He said it probably is though because the tablet was cheap.
We have an identical tablet to the damaged one and he wanted to do some kind of transplant thing. But he said I had to clean my room first and while I've cleaned it since the deal, j have a real problem in maintaining it, plus it only has a 10% chance and that's really depressing to me.

Also we are on less good terms than we were at the time of the deal. So I would rather not rely on him

I'm wondering though if it is worth going to the store's tech fixing station and see what they say or is there no point? My dad said they will probably ruin it more and I would have wasted $500 dollars, because no one is as great as him/he is the best tech person ever but who knows? Maybe there really is a risk of getting someome just starting out in tech who further damages it. But I really am trying to not rely on my dad even if it is convenient in some ways
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170826_095625.jpg (105.0 KB, 12 views)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is there any chance? - September 9th 2017, 05:29 PM

Hey, I'm so sorry this hasn't been replied to yet!

I'm not positive how much of a chance there is to retrieve your files, but it should be possible. Although, different things could have gone wrong when it hit the table.

My first thought is that just the screen may have been affected, so it's not showing anything and it won't register your fingers touching it. To figure out if that's the case, you can connect it to a PC. Depending on the operating system of the tablet and PC, you should be able to see the tablet show up under the "Devices and Drivers" section. If that shows up, it is likely that you can still retrieve files on the tablet. If you do see it appear, let me know and I can explain the steps you can take to find the files.

If it doesn't show up then it is likely the hard drive was damaged. There's not much to do to fix it in that case, but there is the option of getting it repaired. I'm not sure how important the files and data were to you, so that is up to you to decide if you'd want to pay for that. Although, depending on the device, the cost of repairing it can be close to the price of that device itself.

Again, I'm very sorry this hadn't been replied to. Please let me know if you need clarification or have any questions. You are welcome to PM me as well if you need to.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Memories. Offline
The Little Fox
Not a n00b

Re: Is there any chance? - September 12th 2017, 04:07 PM

If you can connect it to a PC, it MIGHT be possible to recover all the data from it, but I can't be sure without being able to look at it firsthand.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is there any chance? - September 15th 2017, 03:57 PM

Thank you both of you.

I tried connecting it to a pc months ago, nothing happened. But you're saying depending on the operating system? Is there a way to tell whether it wasn't shoeing up because the hard drive is damaged or because the pc doesn't match? but I suppose I can try plugging it into a different computer. I would have to get one of those cables. I was borrowing my dad's at the time.

The files were important to me but I know I can be overly sentimental. It was over a year's worth of collected images, pdfs, photos, videso and...this is what is most troubling-I had drafts of emails not yet sent to myself, thinking if was synchronizing with my email account but turns out it was only in a draft on the email app.
Also some offline readings which include conversations that I can't get back.

The tablet itself was bought on black Friday for $20. My dad bought 2 and only much later he let me have my own tablet but still wasn't 100% mine. But I really saved so much data and like I know most of it is somewhere out there on the Internet like the pdfs and notepads with saved links I wanted to return to... but other things like my unsent emails, some were like journal entry type, some were ideas, lists, thoughts. I was trying to put the pieces together to develop a sense of self and i feel like I lost the things that made me excited about life. The pdfs were directly related to my passions etc and a week prior I was frantically trying to backup as much data as I could into Google drive but I couldn't get to all of it.

like I almost want to keep rhe tablet untouched, rather than try to get the data and turns out I cant. I think I'd be more okay with having it lost but not destroyed. Idk, I get attached to inanimate things, please don't judge

Any money j spend on repair will be more than $20

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is there any chance? - September 16th 2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum View Post
Thank you both of you.

I tried connecting it to a pc months ago, nothing happened. But you're saying depending on the operating system? Is there a way to tell whether it wasn't shoeing up because the hard drive is damaged or because the pc doesn't match? but I suppose I can try plugging it into a different computer. I would have to get one of those cables. I was borrowing my dad's at the time.

The files were important to me but I know I can be overly sentimental. It was over a year's worth of collected images, pdfs, photos, videso and...this is what is most troubling-I had drafts of emails not yet sent to myself, thinking if was synchronizing with my email account but turns out it was only in a draft on the email app.
Also some offline readings which include conversations that I can't get back.

The tablet itself was bought on black Friday for $20. My dad bought 2 and only much later he let me have my own tablet but still wasn't 100% mine. But I really saved so much data and like I know most of it is somewhere out there on the Internet like the pdfs and notepads with saved links I wanted to return to... but other things like my unsent emails, some were like journal entry type, some were ideas, lists, thoughts. I was trying to put the pieces together to develop a sense of self and i feel like I lost the things that made me excited about life. The pdfs were directly related to my passions etc and a week prior I was frantically trying to backup as much data as I could into Google drive but I couldn't get to all of it.

like I almost want to keep rhe tablet untouched, rather than try to get the data and turns out I cant. I think I'd be more okay with having it lost but not destroyed. Idk, I get attached to inanimate things, please don't judge

Any money j spend on repair will be more than $20
My suggestion, if you can't repair it is to invest in another tablet instead of spending money to, possibly, get it repaired. Black Friday and cyber Monday are going to be coming up fairly quickly and, as such, you might be able to buy something. Also, if not, I believe that you can invest in a Kindle fire on Amazon. They go on sale around black friday/cyber Monday. And, currently you can get one of the models for $49.99. I have an HD 10 which is more expensive. The HD 8 is currently 79.99. I know kindle are technically e-readers but the fires are relatively close to a tablet. I'm sure they are missing some things though. If you don't want a fire you could probably invest in something else but my boyfriend has said the fires are decent if you want a cheap 'tablet'.

I know you have files you want to retrieve but if the fix will be loads of money it's probably just better to get a new one. Definitely not an easy choice to make though.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread