TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Factory Reset - November 30th 2017, 09:51 PM

So, I am considering a factory reset for my MacBook Air. I need input on pros/cons of doing so.

Here's some specifications on my MacBook Air:
- I got this Christmas 2011, I think it's an October 2011 model release.
- The OS was originally 10.7.x and I was forced to update the OS to 10.12.x earlier on this year due to Facetime not functioning properly.
- Something important to note is that since early 2016, I have been getting a "service battery" notification. I don't know how important this is, but I imagine that the state of my battery will worsen with the factory reset?
- This MacBook Air wasn't used as heavily before March 2015, but it has begun to show age in the past year because I've used it so much beginning the month of March in the year 2015.

Questions:

Will OS 10.7.x even function properly anymore?
Will Firefox be compatible?
What about Facetime? I'm sure Facetime won't be, right?
And will I have to reinstall Word? It's Word 2011, and I don't even know how I got it. I think it was the same website that I got Photoshop from legally?

What exactly is involved in a factory reset? Will it end up hurting the computer even more than just forcing a six year old machine to run on something far more advanced than it was made for?

I actually have a fear of the Macintosh Chime of Death. Unless they made it far less creepier and scarier in the past eighteen years.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Factory Reset - November 30th 2017, 10:00 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset

They're usually done as a last resort, when there's some serious problems or when somebody messed settings up (overclocking or so) OR when the computer was bricked after a virus rampaged through it.

TL;DR If you don't have to, don't do it.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Factory Reset - November 30th 2017, 10:26 PM

Short answer: It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do a factory reset, it would cause more hassle.

And the longer reason why:

Most applications probably won't work with the older system anymore, and if they will it will be really laggy. Or possibly crashing, and they might not have support for it anymore for that system. I've seen that happen where they drop support for programs after a certain OS. So that would be something to look into before deciding to do this.

Another thing to be careful of, a factory reset will erase your entire hard drive. All your data will be gone, so you would need to back it up on a external hard drive.

Another note, the Service Battery. So it probably means you need a new battery. My MacBook has been giving me that since the summer, I looked into it so I happened to know what it means. Your battery life will get worse no matter what you do, I've been doing nothing and mine has been getting worse. And my computer has also been running hotter. So be careful.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rkit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Factory Reset - December 2nd 2017, 05:27 AM

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do a factory reset, it would cause more hassle.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Factory Reset - December 2nd 2017, 07:25 AM

Hey there,

Factory resets are usually only done as a last resort or when someone no longer wants to use that particular device because it erases so much stuff. I know I was having an issue with my computer and my boyfriend tried a factory reset. It was a last ditch effort and he is so tech savvy that there were no real issues. However, he said he doesn't tend to do factory resets.

Is there someone you can talk to about getting the computer looked at? If you have the option it might be best to get a new computer? I know that isn't always an option though so you might want to take it in to be looked at. Sometimes the people in the apple stores can be quite helpful.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread