TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Installing video card? - May 26th 2009, 04:10 PM

I havnt purchased my system, i will buy it later in the summer.

Right now im studying for my accounting exam. But i cant help but notice.

How do i install the video card?

I use(and installed) to have a ATI9200 like 5 years ago that baby cost me like 150 bucks lol.

ANyways. I never touched a PCI-E before and I never installed a beast that needs to be powered by the power supply.

ANyways when i look at the new vcards like the ones that came out of the 8800 i know the installation is slightly different...

So when i look thro the pages. I notice they need like 12vdc from a 36 amp rail.

In english they need this from a power supply right???

My question is when i look at psu's i notice they dont offer 36 amp anymore.

only 25(or 2 25's and a 22) and 22 amps in the psu's priced around 80-100 dollars(630 watts).

Anyways i read some wheres online som1 plans to install a 2 18amp power cables which comes up to 36 amps to power his video card. That made sense. now

But if i 25 is less then 36 but if i use 2 of them 2 * 25 = 50... DUH!

But would that fry my vcard if i install it? or is the vcard smart enough to regulate the amps to 36? or it can suck up 50 easily???

Im planning to buy a GTX 260 with 216 cores.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Installing video card? - May 26th 2009, 04:57 PM

Thing is, most modern video cards actually come with a wee adapter for the socket itself, and I believe the card itself is smart enough to regulate the current.
Also with it comes to PCI-E, it's quite self-explanatory, you seem to know what you're talking about so just take a look at the socket and it's quite easy to figure out, just make sure the wee peg has clipped in firmly =).

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Installing video card? - May 27th 2009, 12:35 PM

You're overcomplicating it all, seriously.
All you need to do is make sure your power supply has enough wattage to power the card (The minimum recommended for an entire system including the GTX260 is 500w) and AT LEAST TWO 6/8-pin PCI-E cables, and you're ready to go.

The PCI-E slot is just like an AGP, just a little longer. You line the card up with the slot and push it in. Then screw the tail-end into the back of the case. Just plug in the power cables and that's it.

TIP: Look for a power-supply that is SLI certified - then you know for certain that it'll work with the GeForce cards, and it's future proofed if you want to add in another card later.

That's the 6-pin PCI-E power port.

That's a standard 6(+2)-Pin PCI-E connector. Some of the more power hungry cards need an 8-Pin, so the extra two can be attached, but you won't need that bit.

Closed Thread