TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BeautyKills :O Offline
Bookworm 8-|
Average Joe

Question Nikon Cam? - June 4th 2009, 11:27 AM

Hey everyone
Um, I was planning to go back to my obssesion, photography. I stopped it for a year now because my cam got broken and I just want a few opinions because I'm planning to buy a Nikon cam but the thing is, I dunno which model to get. What can you recommend? Is Nikon better or maybe, Canon?

Thanks in advance!
Peace&Love (:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Maya Angelou
  Send a message via MSN to BeautyKills :O  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 4th 2009, 12:46 PM

Erm, I don't know that much about the technical specifics of cameras, but a quick search found this article:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
I hope you find it useful =)

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 4th 2009, 04:08 PM

Ahh, the great Nikon vs. Canon debate. I'm a Canon fan.
If you're a photographer, Nikon or Canon are definetly your best bet for a camera. I think that it really depends what your budget is when choosing which model.
I think that the most sensible thing that you could do would be to go to a camera/photography shop and talk to someone about the cameras so you can get a better understanding of the Lenses that you can purchase and the functions of the camera. I'd also recommend picking up a few photography magazines (Which? Camera is good).
Personally, I have the Canon 450D and I would really recommend it

(#4 (permalink)) Old
supernoodles Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 5th 2009, 02:33 AM

Having experienced both Cannon and Nikon, I have to say I prefer Nikon. My D40 is ideal for basic shooting, the flash is weak so you need an add on flash relatively cheap and some other lenses for more complex stuff. I use my Cannon 450D for modelling shots, it's very slightly better for that, although the D40 is excellent for a relatively small price.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 5th 2009, 03:01 PM

If you do seriously want to get into photograpy, there are 2 options out there for you really, well there are hundreds, but 2 cameras that should capture someone who really wants to get back onto it. The American Canon Rebel XS, or the UK Canon EOS 1000D (Same camera), or if not, then a Nikon D40, or a D60 if you could manage the little bit... however they are... underneath the same camera just a few tweaks...

I will just say I use the Canon, and I picked it for 4 reasons, in my opinion it has a larger, brighter view finder, but I have no evidence to back this up, I just prefer it!

It has manual settings, and very good manual controls, but also an auto setting for ease of use, but for really getting into photography and learning about it, you need good manual controls, not that the D40 doesn't offer these!

I already had a Canon lens, and it goes without saying if you have a lenses already, then go with them! You'll save a lot of money!

I wanted a 50mm prime with auto focus. This lens costs 80 and is my best investment ever, other than the camera. You cant zoom at all, but you move around for that Or crop the picture later on, but it has a very large aperture f/1.8 (and yes a large aperture has a smaller number) It means a hole in the lens which opens and closes lets in more or less light. The larger the aperture gets, the smaller the number gets, but the bigger the hole in the lens gets, letting in a lot more light, as a side effect though it blurs a lot more.

I dont know if Im allowed to link to my flickr (mods please remove links as appropriate )

A large aperture, will let you do this Railing on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Where as a smaller aperture would have left more of the back ground in focus.

IF this is something that really interests you, I love it! Use this lens all the time, then the canon is the one to get, or you will be manually focusing on the Nikon, the 50mm prime there is manual focus only on the Nikon, and you think its not a pain, but for when you just want to take a quick picture it will be!

I say all this I went through a lot of market research and had lots of goes of my dads D40, and just really wanted the bigger viewfinder...

HOWEVER having said that, out of the box, without a doubt, I was amazed by his Nikon the other day it does take amazing pictures, really really good, so if none of the points above you bother you then go for the Nikon Id probably advise...

Asking Nikon OR Canon is always a bit dangerous though heated debates are going on all the time as to which is better ... Pick a brand buy lenses, and stick with it...

After all this you may want something smaller...

Really small, I'd say look at the Canon Digital ELPH cameras, or if your in the UK, the Canon IXUS range, any of them are brilliant, but if you want a review of any camera, go here;

Digital Camera Resource Page: All Our Digital Camera Reviews

Erm slightly bigger, just generally at the Canon powershot range, or the Nikon coolpix range, and check that site, for a nice, generally Unbiased review

Hope I wasn't too biased, I love my camera to pieces, use it almost everyday, but both Nikon and Canon DO make EXCELLENT cameras!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~sal~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sally

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 6th 2009, 10:26 PM

i use a canon 400D with a 18 - 55 mm lense & am pleased with the results, i think it just depends, the 400D is very similar to the 1000D. canon vs nikon, canon tend to be slightly cheaper and have a better lense range (thats what i'v found/been told anyway). if u want to see any pics i've taken pm me and i'l get some sorted out

My scars remind me .... my past IS real ♫
You're not the first girl, to cut her fears in her arms, then let them trickle down ♫
I DONT WANT TO BE ME ♫

(#7 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Nikon Cam? - June 9th 2009, 01:47 PM

I don't really do photography, but I do video, and I have to say, I like Canon a lot. It always has great picture quality. I'm biased here, but I say you should go with a Canon.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread