TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Creating and Elimiating Dual Boot and Partitions - June 21st 2009, 12:01 PM

Im planning on building my PC really soon, like I mentioned before I expect to build in on July, I have the money waiting to finish my summer university course and watching the price drop on newegg.ca

But the problem is Windows 7 is around the corner and it seems really really cool.

Im planning on installing Windows 7 RC as my first OS, but it will expire on March??? 2010 but I have exams or heavy assignments around that time. I would be litterlly screwed because after the Expiry date it will not work only for 2 hours a day

So I will have to make a dual boot with vista. because its easier to partition than XP. Vista will be my secondary OS. And i will be using it for HW. if needed

I just needed to know how to create my partiiton for Vista.

And then after wards Use Vista, and elimiate the Windows 7 partition. And then once my exams are over create a partition for the Full version of Windows 7 and then delete vista's partion LOl.

Is this possible. Let me know

My pc that I am building cost 770 dollars build by me so its pretty much ranked in the upper middle end/high end.

HD4870 512 GDDR5
AMD Phenom II X3 2.6
4GB ram
ect..

So vista should be a breze I think alot of people complained about vista because there pc can barely run it exspecially on vista's intial release.

Im planning on Using a "free" version of Vista with 32bit /4gb. Im gunna modify it to run the full 4gb by enabling PAE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Creating and Elimiating Dual Boot and Partitions - June 21st 2009, 02:31 PM

First off, get the 64-bit OEM version. The OEM is usually cheaper than the retail copy and seeing as your buying all the new hardware it'll come with all the drivers required. Using the 64-bit version will give you better performance than 32bit + PAE. It also gives you room to expand if you ever decide you want to add another gig or two of RAM.

Just so you know, Win 7 is officially released on 22/Oct/09. There are free upgrade options, where people who buy PC's with Vista pre-installed on it can get a free upgrade to 7, but that's a vendor opt-in system, so you're not applicable if you build your own computer. However, if you get the OEM edition, you *might* be able to get it if you talk to Microsoft, though I'm not certain.

As for partitioning, I personally prefer using Acronis Disk Director to manage partitions, but I think the easiest way for you would be to set up the partitions before you install any OS.
If you're getting a brand new HD, it shouldn't have any partitions on there, meaning when you install Vista, there will be a stage where it asks you which hard drive you want to install it on. If you use that screen to create two partitions of your choice, you can easily install Windows 7 on second partition without having to worry about partitions later.
Once you install Vista, just boot to the Win 7 disc and install it on the second partition and it will handle the dual-boot by itself.

As for removing it completely, first you'll have to remove the entry from your boot manager in Vista (Start > msconfig > Boot tab), then format the partition. You'll then have to use a partition manager or Windows Disk Management to first delete the partition (to turn it into raw space), then expand your Vista partition into it.

If you just want to replace the Win 7 RC partition with the final version, you can just boot to the new disc, format the Win 7 partition and then install it on the newly formatted partition and again, it will handle the boot manager itself.

Hope that helps,

-Adz

Closed Thread