TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The lightgreenness. :D
Experienced TeenHelper

System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 15th 2009, 07:48 PM

So, almost each time I turn on my laptop now [I have an HP G60-120US, if that helps,] it says it had an error and has me do a Startup Repair which leads to a System Restore. This has happened about five or six times since June. The other day, there was a message saying to put it into Safe Mode as well. Each time I do a System Restore, it turns off my virus scan and I have to run LiveUpdate [I have Norton Virus Scan] and restart my computer twice.

Any suggestions on why this keeps happening?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 15th 2009, 09:38 PM

Firstly I have to say ditch Norton, it's quite crap, get AVG or Avira antivirus instead.

Okay, now to the problem at hand ^^;.
Hm, I'm thinking that there's probably an important file somewhere that's corrupt. That or some malwares done some damage. Do you have a firewall? Also do you run regular anti-spyware and anti-virus scans?
Also, how do you turn off your computer? (describe the process, sorry if this is insulting your intelligence, but it might help me figure something out ^^; ).

Thing is, something similar happened to my own laptop earlier this year, I ended up just reinstalling the operating system and this fixed all the problems, though it does get rid of all your data, or at least all of your data on the system drive (the one windows is installed to).

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Firstly I have to say ditch Norton, it's quite crap, get AVG or Avira antivirus instead.

Okay, now to the problem at hand ^^;.
Hm, I'm thinking that there's probably an important file somewhere that's corrupt. That or some malwares done some damage. Do you have a firewall? Also do you run regular anti-spyware and anti-virus scans?
Also, how do you turn off your computer? (describe the process, sorry if this is insulting your intelligence, but it might help me figure something out ^^; ).

Thing is, something similar happened to my own laptop earlier this year, I ended up just reinstalling the operating system and this fixed all the problems, though it does get rid of all your data, or at least all of your data on the system drive (the one windows is installed to).

The thing is with Norton, I'm not sure if I can get "rid" of it. My grandfather got it for me when he got the laptop in December, and seeing as he's no longer with us..never mind. Would I have to go buy something or just download a new virus scan via the internet?

As for running scans, Norton automatically runs a Quick Scan every day, and I'm running a Full System Scan as I type this. I do have a Firewall as well as Malware Protection, too.

As for turning off the computer itself, first I close any programs that are running. [MSN, Firefox, iTunes, ect.] Sometimes I don't log out of MSN though before I shut it off. If I have Firefox running, I also clear the Private Data. Then, I go to Start, and click shut down. While the computer says "Shutting Down..." I close the lid of my laptop.

Sorry if that was a bunch of extra information, I'm just trying to see if I can get this fixed, since this is super annoying.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 12:52 PM

Well, a suggestion to help would be to watch your laptop shut off before closing the lid. It might be hibernating before it completely shuts off which could be screwing things up.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 05:20 PM

Yeah, Steph beat me to it, you might be not letting it shut off which is what's causing the problems.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 07:34 PM

Okay, thank you. :] But still, would it be better to actually buy a new virus scan or just download one via the internet? And as far as shutting the lid before the laptop completely shuts down, I've been doing that since I got it in December. So, any idea as to why it seems to just be causing problems now? I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to know so I can prevent this from happening again. :]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 10:13 PM

No need to apologise, that's why we're here =).
As for why it's only happening now, it could just be a cumulative effect or maybe just sheer bad luck/ good luck that it's held this far.

I'd definately recommend that you get download Avira or AVG, though if you're willing and able to pay for one, just get the professional versions of one of the above, there will be links on their sites =). If you do install another anti-virus, I'm sorry to have to tell you that you will have to remove Norton since there will be all sorts of conflicts if you install two anti-viral programs.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 16th 2009, 11:57 PM

I have yet another question.

I told my mom about all this, and she suggested getting MacAFee for my laptop. We have it on another computer of ours, and it runs into all sorts of problems. I have to fix it each time there is a problem. We have AVG [I think] on our other computer, and it seems kinda slow and confusing to me. So, should I just go for
Avira? I'd have to download the free verison, and that kinda sucks since I want the best protection possible.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 17th 2009, 01:56 AM

I'd go with Avria. The computers at my school had MacAfee and they were the slowest computers on the face of the planet.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 17th 2009, 12:23 PM

I'd have to agree, MacAfee is quite a bloated program..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Mikey09 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 19th 2009, 12:52 AM

Avira, Using it at the moment, Best one ive found and did i mention its free? lol

and for your orginal problem i hope you have fixed it but if you havnt just follow the intructions for system repair or restore. wipe the hard drive and start fresh. You can follow guides form google if you need extra help with that.
  Send a message via MSN to Mikey09  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 19th 2009, 08:17 PM

Okay, so today, my computer tried to be put into Safe Mode twice, and I have no idea as to why. I have AVG as my virus scan now, and I've been waiting to shut the lid of my laptop until it shuts completely down.

Any suggestions?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
suzygreenwood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 19th 2009, 09:41 PM

Although I'm sure the advice given so far is good, maybe you would be better off posting on a dedicated IT site to get suggestions? Computers letting you down is so frustrating - my sympathies!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: System Restore/Startup Repair? - July 20th 2009, 12:39 AM

When I turned my computer on again a few minutes ago..it wanted me to do a System Restore. Again. This is making me angry. Just as a matter of interest..here are the dates that this "Windows has shut down unexpectedly" happened.

6/3/09
6/30/09
7/6/09
7/13/09
7/14/09
7/18/09
7/19/09
7/19/09
Times in total: 7.

Is there anything else I can do to make this not happen anymore? I'm sorry, but this is getting crazy and more annoying to deal with.

Closed Thread