TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe
***
 
lilangel!'s Avatar
 
Name: Hannah
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Posts: 126
Join Date: January 7th 2009

laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 11:05 AM

hey guys,
just thought id let you know something ive been told quite a lot.
i have been told that when you use your laptop you shouldnt put it directly on your lap because it can make you go sterile :O . now personally, i always use a cushion now because i dont want to take the risk in later life.
i was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? and if it is true?
if no-one has heard of it, i am glad to have told you just incase it is true, i doubt anyone wants to risk that sort of thing.
anyways, hope everyones well and doing good
Hannah X


"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
catchphrase Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
catchphrase's Avatar
 
Name: Marie
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 55
Join Date: July 25th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 12:10 PM

woah, never heard of that! i wonder if thats right... =S


   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Anonymous.'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,042
Blog Entries: 46
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 01:30 PM

Yikes! That's what my friend has been doing then I started doing that. Thanks for telling me.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while
********
 
*Faith*'s Avatar
 
Name: Faith
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 25
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 02:05 PM

What exactly do you mean by sterile? And how?!


You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe
***
 
lilangel!'s Avatar
 
Name: Hannah
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Posts: 126
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 02:29 PM

apparantly it can make it so you cannot have children, both for men and women. i think its something to do with the heat or the rays the laptop emits when its so close to your organs. i thought everyone needed to know. im pretty sure it is true and even if it isnt, there is no way im risking it!
X


"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while
********
 
*Faith*'s Avatar
 
Name: Faith
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 25
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 05:00 PM

I think it only applies if it's constantly on your lap, the same as mobile phones giving you brain tumours if you're on them so much because of the radioactive waves. Don't take my word for it though.


You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 05:55 PM

I heard of that but it doesn't really concern me since I don't have a laptop.


   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
20 Dollar Nose Bleed's Avatar
 
Name: Rhia.
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Birmingham, UK.

Posts: 424
Join Date: February 10th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 06:40 PM

I ruddy hope that's not true.

I'm glad my laptops broken, tucked under my bed if it is.


H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 07:36 PM

I've heard of that before, and yes it is because of the emissions. However, pretty much EVERYTHING slightly raises your chance of getting cancer. You shouldn't really be concerned about it because the effect is so slight.


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 08:02 PM

Then if that's the case I should stop taking birth control and just have regular sex since my laptops have made me go sterile. Sorry, but that sounds likes a load of crap. Lol.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Deep Brown Eyes's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 513
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 13th 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilangel! View Post
hey guys,
just thought id let you know something ive been told quite a lot.
i have been told that when you use your laptop you shouldnt put it directly on your lap because it can make you go sterile :O .
In all honesty, I couldn't care less. But I have a laptop pad anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilangel! View Post
now personally, i always use a cushion now because i dont want to take the risk in later life.
Now *that* is what made me actually reply to this thread. You should never use your laptop on soft surfaces like cushions and beds because they block the airflow from the fans. That will cause your laptop to overheat and can cause serious damage.


   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe
***
 
lilangel!'s Avatar
 
Name: Hannah
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Posts: 126
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 14th 2009, 12:37 AM

the fan on my laptop is at the side and i always ensure it is ok and can cool down


"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Popo Offline
Resident Nerd
Average Joe
***
 
Popo's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: PA

Posts: 133
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 15th 2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
You should never use your laptop on soft surfaces like cushions and beds because they block the airflow from the fans. That will cause your laptop to overheat and can cause serious damage.

This.^ But One point that should be made, most computers have been programmed to spontaneously shutoff when they pass a certain temperature. Although it is possible to disable this failsafe, if you're smart enough to do it, then you should be smart enough to know when to turn your computer off if you feel it getting too hot.
  Send a message via MSN to Popo Send a message via Yahoo to Popo  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Deep Brown Eyes's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Posts: 513
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 17th 2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popo View Post
This.^ But One point that should be made, most computers have been programmed to spontaneously shutoff when they pass a certain temperature. Although it is possible to disable this failsafe, if you're smart enough to do it, then you should be smart enough to know when to turn your computer off if you feel it getting too hot.
Do they have that enabled by default? My machines require me to manually set it (which I don't bother with ). My old laptop regularly hit over 80c.


   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 17th 2009, 05:39 PM

I heard that but I think it is an old wives tale.
Ovaries are too far inside for the temperature to make any difference.
Sperm production depends on temperatures a little below normal body temperature.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Kryptonite's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 17th 2009, 05:56 PM

An excess amount of heat there (for like, 6 hours) can make you go sterile, says Man from Oprah! (Don't ask)

Just remove the heat for a few minutes every half hour, you'll be fine.


Alex
[Click to PM me.]


"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3




   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 17th 2009, 06:30 PM

I heard about that too, but because of excess heat o_0 Ridiculous because your testicles are protected by the large insulator that is your penis As for emissions they are minimal - safe frequency range. Now phones are another thing, and they rightly should be banned.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Power Cosmic's Avatar
 
Name: Janos
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Posts: 3,922
Blog Entries: 225
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 18th 2009, 02:27 PM

See, I'd have to say that I don't think girls are in any danger whatsoever, as was said before, the ovaries are far too deep inside to affect it.

I did read something about this, but it only applies to men, it's been said to reduce sperm count.

I still reckon it's a pointless old wives tale, it's not gonna make anybody infertile.. But I still reckon you shouldn't leave your laptop on a soft surface anyway, since as Adz said, some machines require you to manually set the automatic shutoff.




"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

  Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Popo Offline
Resident Nerd
Average Joe
***
 
Popo's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: PA

Posts: 133
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: laptops and safety - August 19th 2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Do they have that enabled by default? My machines require me to manually set it (which I don't bother with ). My old laptop regularly hit over 80c.

I'm pretty sure most newer machines have it set as default, but I could be wrong.
  Send a message via MSN to Popo Send a message via Yahoo to Popo  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
laptops, safety

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.