TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Relaxation=Success
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeremy

Question Is Ubuntu the way to go for an OS? - January 6th 2009, 10:41 PM

Hey everybody, just a quick question. I've always used Windows for my computers OS, but lately I have been deciding whether or not to switch over to Linux Ubuntu. Has anybody had any experience with Ubuntu and can lend me some advice on whether or not I should use it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

January 7th 2009, 12:33 AM

A big part of this answer depends on the situation and personal preference. Linux and Windows both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Linux takes less system resources, is free, has more flavors (Ubuntu, Red Hat, Debian and a million others). But, it generally has a bit of a learning curve for old Windows users and you aren't able to natively run Windows applications (i.e. most commercial software and a good chunk of the free stuff)

If you already have windows and you're familiar with it, I don't see alot of advantages in switching, unless your computer lags (might mean it doesn't have the power to really run windows) or you have some other specific reason.

If on the other hand you don't have a likcense for Windows, I would definately recommend Ubuntu (specifically Kubuntu 8). It is free and can do almost everything Windows can (and some things Windows can't) with the right programs and knowledge.

I personally use both. I have Kubuntu 8.something on my laptop and Windows XP on my desktop. The reason i have XP on my desktop is because it came with it and it allows me to run all of the Windows specific applications I have. I like Kubuntu better on my laptop though because I have an older laptop, so Kubuntu takes less resources and runs faster. It also doesn't heat up the laptop near as much, so I can keep it on my lap. (I want kids someday :P).

In the end, like I said, a big part of it is personal preference and situation. If you do decide to switch and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Cody

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Is Ubuntu the way to go for an OS? - January 9th 2009, 05:32 PM

Personal Preference really. I went to Linux, kubuntu 8.10 to be precise because windows was just annoying and I've not looked back. I'd disagree with Cody about staying unless there is a good reason. It's pretty easy to install and get up and running. It's easier to get drivers and software because of a package manager

Gaming in Linux is a no-no, it just won't happen unless you want to play old games such as tetris or pacman etc...

Most other windows software has a free equivalent.

Internet Explorer - Firefox
Microsoft Office - OpenOffice.org
iTunes, WMP - Amarok, VLC

Check out http://www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives for others.

I prefer the KDE Desktop so I installed Kubuntu (this is more like windows in look) and it can do a lot more if you know what to do.

It really comes down to what applications you want your pc to do. PM me if you want to know more. If you do switch I suggest you look at the ubuntu forums, specifically this thread will will get your multimedia up and running http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Name: Kyle

Re: Is Ubuntu the way to go for an OS? - January 9th 2009, 05:52 PM

I currently run windows. I just switched back from Ubuntu and Kbuntu.
(i had to switch for networking reasons)

I like them both.
Ubuntu just works.

It is harder to complete some task in ubuntu but it maybe worth it.

Games, and Most editing is off the list of things todo.
Its nice for..Word processing and internet there are some cool features about it.

Ubuntu takes some getting used to and you'll need to know something about it

Hope this helped
-Troy

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
The Flying Ninjas Of TeenHelp...
Its a group thing.

Send a message via AIM to Troy Send a message via MSN to Troy  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is Ubuntu the way to go for an OS? - January 13th 2009, 04:51 PM

Run it off of a live CD... Give it a go... On the Ubuntu site they offer a free CD, put it in your CD drive and when it boots up select run as live cd, but that will give you a real idea as to it... Your must make sure in your boot options however that the CD drive is set to 1st if you want to run as a live CD and remember a live cd rins slower

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

Closed Thread