TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

should i buy a xbox 360 - March 3rd 2010, 11:19 PM

Im thinking about getting a xbox 360.... But was wondering does it still have the issues with red ring of death or whatever.. ? I know it has alot of games on it I think id like to play but not sure if I want a system that'll only last a year or so.....Any help would be apreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 3rd 2010, 11:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that whole red ring thing is cleared up, it's not even a hard problem to fix and I think if you send it in they fix it now don't they?
Besides, the PS3 can have the same problem, it just happens less often. All it is is faulty electrical work.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 3rd 2010, 11:45 PM

I think the xbox is okay now, but I think only if you bash it around a bit that it'll get the ring of death. But if you're careful with it I'm sure it'll be okay. And as Rick said, if there's a problem with it you can send it back to microsoft and they'll either repair it or send you a new one if it can't be repaired.

Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 01:55 AM

The two biggest problems for Xbox 360 these days is the 360 overheating and the red ring of death. You can send your 360 into Microsoft for free and they'll repair your 360 to fix the red ring of death for free...it just takes a while, but they will fix it. As for the overheating, that can be solved too..and they'll probably tell you how to do it yourself (I think you have to switch some kind of cord or something). There's a chance that you could get a bad 360, but if you'd be willing to fork an extra...50 bucks or whatever the cost is, you could buy a 2 year replacement at Best Buy so incase you do get problems the first couple of years, you could just exchange it for free no questions asked (as long as you have the original receipt and shit).

If you take care of your Xbox 360, then you should be good to go. It's worth buying. Don't be afraid. I think that all gaming consoles have their flaws.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 02:14 AM

Just get a ps3

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Just get a ps3
Care to explain why he should? I think which system you want really depends on what type of games you want to play, look at the titles for each and decide what you want.
Also there's also the whole issue of if you want to pay to play online with an xbox 360, which is pretty much the only reason I bought a ps3.
Really though, you can't just say get a ps3 to a person

Member since 2005
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 03:08 AM

hmm okay thanks for the tips/advice and i play mostly rpg's.. like final fantasy and so on also reason im really trying to avoid ps3 is price and lack of choice of games. you guys have been really helpfull thanks

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 03:16 AM

There really are more RPGs on Xbox 360
Left4Dead 2 alone is worth buying an Xbox 360 in my opinion. I just didn't want to pay to play some of my games online.
Hopefully you're happy with your choice.

Member since 2005
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 03:59 AM

Ps3 is problem free for me. (Uh!)
I think xbox is fixed now but some of my friends still run into that problem from time to time.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 01:36 PM

A lot of people are still having a problem with their games getting ruined by the ring of death. As I work at blockbuster a lot of customers have this issue. It's mostly just for leaving the game paused in the x360 for so long. If you don't leave it paused for a while then you should be okay.. I still think you should go with a PS3. They are so much better, and you won't run into this issue. ALSO a PS3, is a blu-ray player. So double the bonus for the same amount .

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 03:26 PM

My brothers Xbox got the red ring of death and it got fixed for free within 3 weeks
My best friends PS3 died and had the "Yellow light of death" and They tried to charge him £300 to fix it when he could buy a new on for that price. In the end they fixed it for free and it took them like 2 months.
He only got it fixed for free because he phoned them up after it was on Watchdog.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...yellow_li.html

So I think x box is definitely better for getting things fixed and customer service.

I think you should just look at the games you want and go from there

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 04:43 PM

Just compare consoles. PS3 has the benefit of free online but lately had errors, 360 has less errors but paid online. Why not, I say.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 05:02 PM

Just get a kickass computer, the games are cheaper and you can fix things easily enough yourself.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 4th 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
My brothers Xbox got the red ring of death and it got fixed for free within 3 weeks
My best friends PS3 died and had the "Yellow light of death" and They tried to charge him £300 to fix it when he could buy a new on for that price. In the end they fixed it for free and it took them like 2 months.
He only got it fixed for free because he phoned them up after it was on Watchdog.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...yellow_li.html

So I think x box is definitely better for getting things fixed and customer service.

I think you should just look at the games you want and go from there
My friend had that problem with his PS3 and got his fixed with no problems within about 2 weeks. Maybe it's just there, or where you buy it at, but if they ask if you warranty you should always be saying yes on something that expensive. My friend had a warranty through Best Buy and it was a breeze to fix.

Member since 2005
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 5th 2010, 11:45 AM

Also with a 360, just don't move it when a disc is in it and in use or itll scratch... That said I got a 360 a couple of months ago, a nice big HD with it, burn all burn games to that so the disc is only used for validating I still have the copy of the game... And its epic, no regrets at all... I chose it over the PS3 simply because of price could afford a better screen for it because of that too Microsoft wouldn't still be making them if the red rings f death was still a major problem... I hope

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 5th 2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
Just get a kickass computer, the games are cheaper and you can fix things easily enough yourself.
This. Although both ps3 and 360 are worth buying.

Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Mizu-Kun Offline
People-Eater
Average Joe

Name: Saito

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 7th 2010, 02:10 AM

Get a Super Nintendo!

:P

Seriously, the classics kick tail, hardcore...

But i'm kind of an Xbox fan, though I hate Microsoft... (I completely removed Microsoft from my PC)

As mentioned, PS3 has free online, and so-on and so-forth, but you pay alot for the George Foreman grill... The Xbox, on the other hand, is reletively cheap, and if it does RROD on you, send it back to Microsoft. It's their engineering fault, so they will replace it for free if you demand a replacement. and shipping times are not bad at all. My fist one RRODed, the box came less than 3 days later to send back to the states, then was back to me within a week, fixed up good as new. well, it was a brand new Xbox, but what the hey. it works.

It all depends on prefrence..

Or you could just buy a Wii. They're cheap too.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 7th 2010, 01:37 PM

I think that all are good and also enjoy pc gaming..

And ^How on earth do you completely remove microsoft from your pc?

What OS are you using? xD

Apologies for off topic.

Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Mizu-Kun Offline
People-Eater
Average Joe

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 7th 2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGodArise
And ^How on earth do you completely remove microsoft from your pc?

What OS are you using? xD
Ubuntu Linux.

Sucks for gaming, really. Anyways, Apologies for going off-topic.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
newurule Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 9th 2010, 05:20 AM

Wow this will be a long post.

The common misconception when comparing the ps3 and the 360 is the price. Fact is they are about the same in price, because if you buy the add ons for the 360 that the ps3 already has (xbox live subscription for example) they are a very similar price.

The ps3 as an entertainment system is better as well in my opinion. It comes with a blu ray player for one and it does have a solid menu system, although the 360's is probably better. It also has some other cool things like home, which should get really good in a couple of years.

And then as for games, the ps3 probably does have better exclusive games than the 360, although that is a matter of opinion. It has the gran turismo series, the god of war series, heavy rain, the uncharted series, little big planet, metal gear solid series, and many other exclusive games. In fact, in terms of great exclusive games, I reckon it probably has more of a variety than the 360. The only 3 series on the 360 that I would want to go to the ps3 are the Halo series, the Mass Effect series and the Gears of War series. The rest either have an equal/better equivalent on the ps3.

All that said, the 360 does have a lot of things going for it. It has the advantage that because people pay to play online, Microsoft are able to put more into the development of the online gaming and because of that, the 360 has a much better online experience. For example the 360's online achievement system is better than the trophy system of the ps3 at the moment.
It also has taken a couple of important ps3 exclusives and made them multiplatform such as Final Fantasy.

I'd say that if you are planning to play online, get a ps3, because the service is free and it will only get better in the future. If you aren't planning to play online, then it really depends on what games you want. As I said I think the ps3 has a better variety of good exclusives, but obviously it's going to be more expensive if you aren't getting an xbox live subscription.

That's my opinion as a ps3 owner. I am not biased against the 360, I think it's a great system, but I think the ps3 is slightly better, but then that is simply a matter of opinion.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 9th 2010, 08:14 AM

I have a 360 and ive never had a single problem wth it. The achievment system is better then trophies in my opinion, also there are better games on the xbla, duke nukem 3d, Doom, call of duty classic, serious sam hd fe and se, perfect dark and doom 2
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 9th 2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You can get a 360 for so much cheaper though, I mean I know some people prefer to build PCs them self now, but you look at I think its the xbox arcade package? Dirt cheap! In terms of simple gaming, it may not come with everything but provided you don't mind wiring it into a router, and paying a tiiiny little bit for online gaming, you dont need much more!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 9th 2010, 07:45 PM

Let me sum this up for you in 2 years i got 6 xbox's because they cant handle the heat, 2 hours and the red rings, disc problems, Xbox's Fan and CPU are way to closer together (to make the console smaller) which causes SO many problems.

Small difference between the break rate....The break rate on the 360 in 40% while the PS3 has 2%....thats from real facts, So you decdide which breaks more.

I have played my PS3 for 10 hours with it still being cool, I played my xbox for 5 hours and i had to turn it off because it burned my hand...This was with EVERY xbox i had.

I cant compare the Xbox To the PS3....Paying nothing for online play, having wireless built in and having blu-ray in it aswell.....Compared to a non-HD Xbox (Can get a HD box for around £30 but not many HD DVD's), No Wirless (wireless is avalibe for £50) and of course £5 a month for online gameplay.

Can the two be compared? nope they cannot... Personally i cant compare both as the PS3 left releasing there console to make it right...Xbox know theres a chip wrong in the 360 yet there not producing them with them in...WHY? because its cheaper for them to get them back and replace the chip.....what a waste.

YES you can return it for free 1 year for ANY problem with it, and 3 years for RROD (and thats it) The PS3 has 1 year and thats it i think, BUT the PS3 dont fail that often.

pay the extra and get the decent console

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 9th 2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
You can get a 360 for so much cheaper though, I mean I know some people prefer to build PCs them self now, but you look at I think its the xbox arcade package? Dirt cheap! In terms of simple gaming, it may not come with everything but provided you don't mind wiring it into a router, and paying a tiiiny little bit for online gaming, you dont need much more!
Yes, but when a game console gets outdated you have to buy a new console, you can just update computer, plus computer do more.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 10th 2010, 02:51 AM

Friendly reminder; the OP just wants to know about the 360 having issues with the RROD and how often it breaks, so no "platform wars", 'kay?

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
honeycake Offline
If you need a friend, i'm here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: jodie

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 10th 2010, 03:18 AM

I'm getting an Xbox next week hopefully but i'm going to pay a little extra to get 3 years cover on it because i'm worried about the whole RROD too bloody Microsoft i tell you.

Darlin' don't leave me out here in the cold
I'm begging you baby don't leave me out here on my own I'll die, If you don't hold me tight Tonight, I couldn't make it outside If I tried, So please let me in lover,
Be kind ♥
  Send a message via AIM to honeycake Send a message via Skype™ to honeycake 
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Mizu-Kun Offline
People-Eater
Average Joe

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 10th 2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, but when a game console gets outdated you have to buy a new console, you can just update computer, plus computer do more.
I could try to upgrade mine, but it's 5 years old. I have had my classic Xbox for over 5 years, and it's almost constantly hooked up, still.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 10th 2010, 03:10 PM

Of course i forgot to mention 1 thing with my post, if you get ANY xbox console make sure its the elite they have less of a break rate!

I overlooked that! so if your set on getting an xbox make sure its an elite!

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 14th 2010, 05:31 AM

Just to note the RROD hasn't "Blown over." The fact is that it is still there, I read something today that said 30% chance of just the RROD. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get the 360, just means you have to be very careful with it and try to keep track of how long you play it. Maybe even find a way to try and keep it nice and cool.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 15th 2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Just to note the RROD hasn't "Blown over." The fact is that it is still there, I read something today that said 30% chance of just the RROD. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get the 360, just means you have to be very careful with it and try to keep track of how long you play it. Maybe even find a way to try and keep it nice and cool.
30%.....thats stupid....i buy a console to play it aslong as i want, you shouldnt have to watch how long you play a game just so your not loosing out on money, disgusting.

In 2009 39mill xbox 360's were sold....that means with the NEW break rate (30%) that around 11mill consoles came back broken

in 2009 33.5mill PS3's were sold and at a 3% break rate only 600k broke

If those figures dont show you how half ass'ed microsoft is, i dont know what will

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 16th 2010, 01:40 AM

Buy the 360. i own the wii... its not that good. other than games made by the company.

As for the 360... go get it!

the ps3 graphics are really similar to the 360. online gaming is world class. X360 arcade is on sale for 130 dollars now. You can probaly buy a harddrive if you need it and save alot of dough.

In the long run, you will still win. Because microsoft is still commited with the console. because it is very powerful.

In fact microsoft is releasing a new controller. code name project Natal. this new controller is based on a camera. which will track all your move. it functions kind of like a Wii controller. except your entire body(or what ever the game developer wants) to control game with.

The Natal games will come out really soon. the Natal add on will probaly cost 60-100 dollars. But 4 ppl can play at once! so its still a value leader. because controllers ussally cost around 50 dollars per unit.

Because of this new commitment this will probaly tack on another 3 years of life on the Xbox's life cycle. Anyways the console is sooo cheap now anyways(if you buy the special sale for the arcade version).

Really you dont have much to loose.

Buy the games recommmend by this thread poster.. or buy the ones recommended by gamespot, IGN, gametrailers... and ect..

Or u can buy from the used games bin. which is nothing wrong with. you just dont get the cool game boxes.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 16th 2010, 02:13 AM

My PS3 broke but when I can afford it, ill get another PS3. The PS3 Slim, which infact has even lower % of breaking than the other normal bigger PS3 which still had a very low % of PS3 breaks.
Oh, also, people saying how cheap the Xbox 360 arcade is.. well, that really does have high % of breaking..

If you choose Xbox 360, get the elite. Still higher % of breaking than PS3 slim though!

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: should i buy a xbox 360 - March 17th 2010, 10:37 PM

Okay, I'm closing this thread now, since I believe the OP's question has been answered. For a console war debate, feel free to make another thread.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
Closed Thread