TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 9th 2010, 02:41 PM

Well, I know what I'll be wanting to get next.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/

All available in April.. What do y'all think? I think I'm going to have to get a mac, because I've come to admit that the only issue is the no gaming and remember, this means that EVERY game on Steam will eventually be suitable, as well as all of my favourites from Valve such as Counter Strike Source and Team Fortress 2. This is a huge step.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 9th 2010, 04:04 PM

You're gonna need a high spec mac to cope with some of those games though ... Also I may well be very very wrong, but I read it as steams coming to mac, not all the games on steam, I mean some may well have licensing exclusivity issues, and shizz?

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 9th 2010, 10:35 PM

Well yeah, but did they not say they were gonna try their best to allow all games to work on mac through steam? And mac's are said to be high spec anyhow to a certain extent, as well as the fact that since games haven't been on them before.. there could be some degree of ease? I'm not sure. I'd not get a macbook though, just in case.

Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 9th 2010, 11:24 PM

I just can't wait until it works on linux to be honest, then it will kick ass even more.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
midget_3111 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 9th 2010, 11:43 PM

Only Valve games and Steam are being Ported to OSX, obviously this means it will be easier for developers to deliver games to the OSX platform, but initially it will just be valve games released and a few others which also have OSX alternatives. To Find a pc with the same spec as a mac you will be saving around £300-£400 ish, Games have been around on macs for ages, you just need to know where to look for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
I just can't wait until it works on linux to be honest, then it will kick ass even more.
Yer, and with Steam being redesigned to be based on web-kit as a pose to internet explorer, AND with them porting everything to OSX which means they will have to use an OpenGL end, this seems all the more likely, well i can hope anyway

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 10th 2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
You're gonna need a high spec mac to cope with some of those games though ... Also I may well be very very wrong, but I read it as steams coming to mac, not all the games on steam, I mean some may well have licensing exclusivity issues, and shizz?
I actually looked up mac specs as I didn't know, and realised for the first time just how powerful they are. From the mac minis which from the cheapest prices have 2.6 dual core processors and 2gb RAM, to the more expensives which have more than that and 4gb as well as a graphics card which I hear handles quite well and can be optimised. Besides that, I'd imagine that the games will handle well as the source is engine is pretty old.. other games, however, well we'll see. I was also quite amazed to find that the most expensive imacd have two, yes, TWO quad core processors and 6gb RAM as well as the fact that no matter the graphics, mac is always good at handling.. well, graphics.

Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 11th 2010, 10:21 PM

But then just to compare

Mac Mini;

And then a Dell, which also comes without monitor etc...

(they do higher spec for not a lot more, but I though make it fair keep both at basic )

In all honesty, I'm a Mac fanboy lover through and through, but in all honesty, I did get mine hoping for a little bit of gaming and don't use it one bit, maybe its just me, but yeahh, I installed Sims 3, it runs fine, but I've uninstalled it until I upgrade the HD, because 7 gigs or something out of 120 free just doesnt seem worth it

If it were me making the decision, I'd either get exclusively a decent PC, or a cheap-as-you-can-get Mac, and a console

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Valve to deliver Steam and Source to the mac. - March 14th 2010, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm thinking that they might make the games less powerful or something. I looked at the review for the graphics card that comes on all of the new macs besides imacs and found that it can run call of duty, but only on medium. So basically, it might have less performance.. however, and due to the age of some of the source games, it could be okay.. I see where you're going though, and I'd not want to get rid of my pc.

Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.

Closed Thread