TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

virus - March 13th 2010, 04:40 AM

Can getting a virus on your laptop harm your modem?
I just got this pretty horrible virus on my lap top (I have three essays due in three days.. greaat). I can't use it in the normal mode at all, it won't let me do anything and a "windows is not responding" box pops up everything five seconds.
I can you it in safe mode, however.
I can connect to the internet, but my home internet isn't working. It is supposed to have four lights up only 1-3 will show up. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, and re-set it but it still hasn't been able to work.
If anyone has any idea what is going on that would be great.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: virus - March 13th 2010, 06:56 AM

A popular saying amougst people who regularly tackle computer maladies is "It's NEVER a virus".
So I have to ask, why do you think it's a virus? Has a virus scanner come up with something, or do you regularly go on...'colourful' websites?. It's most likely either a miniture mountain of spyware or something else thats causing those problems.

As for your question, depends on the kind of modem you have, generally no. From the sounds of it, it sounds like its something wrong at your ISP's end. Try waiting a while and if that doesn't sort it, call them up and ask if its not something at their end.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: virus - March 13th 2010, 07:06 AM

It was a virus... And I somehow managed to delete it.
I just rebooted the system, and everything seems to be working now. I checked Norton's history and there were actually files modifying my computer... Norton decided to take no action, that was nice of it. I also deleted the virus that was downloaded in safe mode.
Hopefully everything is fine now.

Thanks for the help though!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: virus - March 14th 2010, 10:00 AM

Norton is notorious for being terrible against viruses, so I hear. I'd recommend a change either way, after that..

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: virus - March 14th 2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGodArise View Post
Norton is notorious for being terrible against viruses, so I hear. I'd recommend a change either way, after that..
Yeah, I know. I normally wouldn't get Norton but my other anti-virus expired at the end of the summer. I had just paid my tuition, and my friend had just bought Norton so I used her CD. Not a good decision on my behalf but I was broke.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: virus - March 14th 2010, 08:41 PM

And you're back on you said? Have a bit of a search and try find a new security system if you haven't.. NOD32 is supposedly good and offers a free trial, as do AVG and several others.. however, AVG free is supposedly pretty bad so I can only imagine it being better to buy a new one. Kaspersky is very good, too.

Again, if you already have done this I apologise for being so rude, lol

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: virus - March 15th 2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGodArise View Post
And you're back on you said? Have a bit of a search and try find a new security system if you haven't.. NOD32 is supposedly good and offers a free trial, as do AVG and several others.. however, AVG free is supposedly pretty bad so I can only imagine it being better to buy a new one. Kaspersky is very good, too.

Again, if you already have done this I apologise for being so rude, lol
No, you're not being rude at all. I think I'm going to look into getting NOD32. My parents had it on their computer when I lived at home and remember it being good. Thanks for the suggestions.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Sioned Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sioned

Re: virus - March 16th 2010, 02:28 PM

I'm glad you got rid of it, make sure to get a backup CD if you haven't already.

A few things I suggest for the future:

1)NEVER connect to the internet in Safe Mode, unless you have no other possible form of saving your computer's memory. (Backup CD, virus scan in safe mode OFFLINE, etc)
If you get a virus in safe mode, you are more likely to have a LOT of problems. Safe mode is basically a way of catching and fixing your booboo's.

2) Eww it's norton

Here are a few free anti virus engines to try out, or use in combination
(I'm currently using kaspersky, avg, avast, and spybot S&D interchangably together, depending on how lazy I am).
Of course running more one antivirus engine can lead to compatibility issues (NEVER run Mcaffee with Norton. They battle it out and tear your computer apart.).
I suggest using a mainstream firewall (kaspersky, Avast)
and using a smaller backup like spybot S&D.

I run 3 usually, but I have 5 different possible firewalls I could use as well at 8+ different scanners for certain viruses.
Keep in mind different operating systems will handle firewalls differently.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: virus - March 17th 2010, 10:29 PM

Okay, I just have to interject here and point out that its NEVER a good idea to install more than one anti-virus, since they tend to throw up false positives a lot and cause all sorts of other problems, some that can potentially mess up your computer.

Also, bar some basic anti-spyware and a decent anti-virus, you probably don't even need anything more than that. Hell, if you have a good dose of common sense, you probably don't even need that if you have a decent NAT firewall or something.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
Closed Thread