TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sniper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Windows 7 Upgrade for Vista User - June 8th 2010, 12:10 AM

I was planning on getting the Windows 7 upgrade for my laptop this weekend; but I think there are some technicalities. This question may seem "duh" but I just need conformation because I don't really have any OS knowledge.

I would just buy the upgrade from the store and put the CD in; and it will upgrade all by itself? Do I need to buy and place in a new hard drive or take some other measure before inserting the CD? Should I make a back-up disk?
Can I even upgrade to Windows 7 at all?

I also heard that I can only upgrade to Windows 7 Home Edition because my Vista is the Home Edition. Is there any truth to this?

The Chatroom Virgin

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade for Vista User - June 8th 2010, 04:02 AM

I upgraded from Windows XP --> Vista ---> Windows 7.

You may want to put everything on a back up disk because i lost EVERYTHING. lol.
I also only had like 10% left (free space) on my hard drive after installing..

I don't know if this will help you any but i am sure someone with my knowledge will post here too. xD

But yes, you can upgrade.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The "Killer" Doctor
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Robert
Location: Princeton‑Plainsboro Teaching Hospital (PPTH), New Jersey

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade for Vista User - June 8th 2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I was planning on getting the Windows 7 upgrade for my laptop this weekend; but I think there are some technicalities. This question may seem "duh" but I just need conformation because I don't really have any OS knowledge.

I would just buy the upgrade from the store and put the CD in; and it will upgrade all by itself? Do I need to buy and place in a new hard drive or take some other measure before inserting the CD? Should I make a back-up disk?
Can I even upgrade to Windows 7 at all?

I also heard that I can only upgrade to Windows 7 Home Edition because my Vista is the Home Edition. Is there any truth to this?
Check this out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...79(WS.10).aspx - this will provide you with information regarding the upgrade. You are able to upgrade from any version of Vista, as long as it's the same architecture. If you have 32bit Vista, you can't upgrade to 64bit 7. If you have data you do not want to lose, I cannot emphasize this enough, backup everything. If possible, not only make an image using something along the lines of Acronis, or Norton Ghost, but also manually copy and paste (do not cut and paste) files onto an external USB or eSATA hard drive.

Once you are confident that you have at least two or more sound backups, you can go ahead and install the upgrade by doing one of two things - you can put the DVD into your DVD drive, from Windows, and follow the prompts on screen, or, you can put the DVD in your drive (There's no avoiding the DVD, and the DVD drive ) and reboot your machine, and it should come up with a screen that says something along the lines of "Press any key to boot from DVD" or something along those lines - if not, you'll need to watch during boot up, if there's a function that allows you to select a boot device, if not, you'll need to enter your BIOS/CMOS setup and change the boot device priority there to have the DVD drive first.

From there, you'll be given the option to upgrade, or, depending if this is a system manufacturer disk (such as IBM, or Dell) you could also do a fresh install, even though it is an upgrade disk, and this would not work without a previous O.S. installed.

Also, be sure that your computer can handle Windows 7 prior to spending any money, retailers and Microsoft have made it extremely difficult to return an opened OS, if not impossible, and if it is possible, on an extremely limited basis - I know of one person in the entire country who was able to return a disk, and that had to do with MSDN and Technet, which you cannot get without spending a lot of cash, plus it's pointless if you don't have a purpose to do so.

If you are not 100% confident in your computer's hardware, or, if you haven't done this before, I would highly recommend also getting Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en) prior to purchasing any edition of Windows 7, whether an upgrade or a full retail copy.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Robert Chase 
Closed Thread