TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

iPhone 4 - June 25th 2010, 12:26 PM

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or have upgraded their old iPhones to iOS 4? I'm having a 'slight problem' with my iPhone 4. It's not really a problem I just don't know if I can do a certain thing and if it's actually possible.

Okay, the question! On previous iPhone models, you were able to see the time in the centre of the status bar. Now I've got the iPhone 4 I've noticed that all that is in that space is 'Orange'. The network I'm on. But I want it to say the time. I'm sure it could be possible, but I can't see the option anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated. Ta.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: iPhone 4 - June 25th 2010, 12:31 PM

is there not a place in the settings you can do that, i'm sure if you read the manual you'll find it.

I wouldn't get an iPhone 4 at the moment as there is a major flaw in it.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - June 25th 2010, 01:43 PM

I am very pleased with my iPhone 4

I've had a look through the settings and haven't found anything which would enable me to do what I want to do. I've looked through my old 3G and I haven't seen anything to change it either. I hope it can be changed. I never know the time when I'm doing anything :/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: iPhone 4 - June 27th 2010, 04:53 AM

I think it's a step in the right direction, but Apple is still pretty far behind orther OSes in a lot of ways. And the reception issue, as well as their response to it, is just silly.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

~Cody

Normal User

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - June 27th 2010, 05:07 AM

Did you set the date and time already? If not, do that. If that doesn't work, try setting it manually (Settings > General > Date & Time > Slide Set Time Automatically to Off, then set the time zone, date, and time manually). According to the iPhone 4 user manual it seems like the time should be there when you bought the phone. I'll ask around.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - June 27th 2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks

I took it into the Apple shop and they did some sort of reset behind closed doors which seemed to do the trick.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Mittens The Cat Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mittens The Cat

Re: iPhone 4 - June 27th 2010, 07:39 PM

Jailbreak it, and get Make it mine on cydia make the box blank and perss banner worked for me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Mittens The Cat 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - June 27th 2010, 10:52 PM

I jailbroke my last one and had that app off cydia. But I'm on about the section in the middle of the status bar, not the side where the network is.

And I'm not jailbreaking this one. I feel like I can do all I want to do with this phone, and I don't see the need in jailbreaking it. And I don't want to void the apple warrenty. They won't even look at the phone in the apple shop if its broken. No thanks!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - June 29th 2010, 07:35 PM

With your phone, any undried glue? Swapped volume buttons? General weak signal (hold it different )?
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iPhone 4 - June 29th 2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
And I'm not jailbreaking this one. I feel like I can do all I want to do with this phone, and I don't see the need in jailbreaking it. And I don't want to void the apple warrenty. They won't even look at the phone in the apple shop if its broken. No thanks!
Which is a big reason to avoid Apple. Total reliance on them to fix even the simplest of problems is silly and unreasonable, but understandable considering who is in charge of Apple.

~Cody

Normal User

(#11 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - June 29th 2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
Which is a big reason to avoid Apple. Total reliance on them to fix even the simplest of problems is silly and unreasonable, but understandable considering who is in charge of Apple.
To add, you also sign away your freedoms and ability to control your phone. Apple can remove anything they like any time. Anything you 'buy' you're actually renting

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - June 29th 2010, 08:23 PM

If Apple can do one thing right, it's making a product visually appealing. Not so much when it comes to usefulness. Sure, my iPhone looks great, but I had to jailbreak it to get it almost up to par with other phones. Anyway, since the problem was resolved, expect a lock incoming.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ccab Offline
Not a n00b

Re: iPhone 4 - July 1st 2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I think it's a step in the right direction, but Apple is still pretty far behind orther OSes in a lot of ways. And the reception issue, as well as their response to it, is just silly.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/
The iPhone 4 is WAY ahead of everyone else in phones, os's, computers, you name it. They are so far more advanced than any other company. I can go more into detail if you'd like me too.

But as for the OP's question..I got my iphone 4 the other day and I have my time in the center..im not sure what your problem is.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Ccab Offline
Not a n00b

Re: iPhone 4 - July 1st 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduriel View Post
If Apple can do one thing right, it's making a product visually appealing. Not so much when it comes to usefulness. Sure, my iPhone looks great, but I had to jailbreak it to get it almost up to par with other phones. Anyway, since the problem was resolved, expect a lock incoming.
What can other phones do that they iPhone 4 cannot?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: iPhone 4 - July 1st 2010, 11:27 AM

I'm waiting for the flaws in the Iphone 4 to be fixed before I get mine. (it's not even released in Canada yet I think)

Not really a fan of apple, but the iphone grasped me. I had enough of this blackberry garbage

(#16 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - July 1st 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccab View Post
The iPhone 4 is WAY ahead of everyone else in phones, os's, computers, you name it. They are so far more advanced than any other company. I can go more into detail if you'd like me too.

But as for the OP's question..I got my iphone 4 the other day and I have my time in the center..im not sure what your problem is.
Freedom.

Quote:
What can other phones do that they iPhone 4 cannot?
Other phones can actually make a call regardless of where you're holding it

And since calls are a phone's main function the iPhone fails. To add,

Furthermore, different people have different priorities, apple products are well overpriced and you have to pay for the privilege. Myself, I value freedom above all, I want the freedom to own any content I download and to tweak the phone how I like.

What's more using Android means I can chop and change the rom as I see fit and I know Android will release a free update instead of a new phone in 6 months

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush 40 View Post

Freedom.

Other phones can actually make a call regardless of where you're holding it

And since calls are a phone's main function the iPhone fails. To add,

Furthermore, different people have different priorities, apple products are well overpriced and you have to pay for the privilege. Myself, I value freedom above all, I want the freedom to own any content I download and to tweak the phone how I like.

What's more using Android means I can chop and change the rom as I see fit and I know Android will release a free update instead of a new phone in 6 months

Pretty good summary of it.

~Cody

Normal User

(#18 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 12:52 PM

All the iPhones have come out 12 months apart, not 6. And I don't know exactly but a lot of other brands of mobile phones bring out new ones all the time. So you can't dig Apple there. And Apple does release free updates, as and when they're needed.

All these complaints that are being made about all the new iPhone 4's are a bit silly, I think. I've had no problems with mine at all. And I love my new phone <3

I don't feel the need to 'customise' my phone to the max. I've had a jailbroken iPhone, but only to have it unlocked until my contract run out to get my own one. I did customize it then with themes and tweaks, but I've got no problems going back to basics with my new phone. Even though I can't change the Apple theme, I'm still really pleased with how it looks.

I love my iPhone 4 <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I dont think the iphone is too advanced...

It cant even run flash! lol

iOS recently can do "multitasking" but it doesnt do true multi tasking.

In addition the batteries are not easily removable.. it doesnt have a kick stand(i know thats a stupid thing to bring up but it does work).

Iphone 4 is not a 4G phone.. its still 3g.

Sprint offers 4g with unlimited mobile data plans with unlimited tv streaming ect...

so Iphone considered the "best"

The iphone have alot of neat features! and a strong loyal fan base.
Pick a phone that is right for you!

the iphone 4 for some people is highly unreliable. there is battery, attenna, Microsoft (exchange sync probems, for business users) and screen have some problems...

(#20 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 03:19 PM

I've just read a statement that Apple will be making to all iPhone 4 users, that the signal loss is not due to how you hold your handset. It's because the signal that it says you have is untrue. “the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.".

If it says you have high signal, and you lose signal in a call. Its because you never really had that signal in the first place. Something that was calculated wrong in the system.

Here is where I got this information:
http://www.slashgear.com/apple-iphon...-bars-0292672/

It seems legit. And theres an official letter from Apple in there too.

I stand by my love for Apple and the iPhone 4

(#21 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 03:24 PM

Well, I'm glad that you're happy with it, that's what matters =]

But me... I can't stand no being able to do whatever I want with my phone. Program a game and test it directly without hassle? Hack on a different firmware? Tweak every aspect of the device? Be able to fix it if something goes wrong? Those are all things that are really important to me that Apple just doesn't offer. If you don't want that freedom, Apple is great, albeit overpriced and under-featured in some areas. I just prefer to pay for freedom as opposed to an Apple logo.

~Cody

Normal User

(#22 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
I've just read a statement that Apple will be making to all iPhone 4 users, that the signal loss is not due to how you hold your handset. It's because the signal that it says you have is untrue. “the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.".

If it says you have high signal, and you lose signal in a call. Its because you never really had that signal in the first place. Something that was calculated wrong in the system.

Here is where I got this information:
http://www.slashgear.com/apple-iphon...-bars-0292672/

It seems legit. And theres an official letter from Apple in there too.

I stand by my love for Apple and the iPhone 4
As far as I've heard, that's just evasion and BS. There is a real loss of signal when you hold the phone the 'wrong' way. They are just trying to make it look like they are fixing it so people will be quiet.

~Cody

Normal User

(#23 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 03:29 PM

I'm just updating with what I've just read, is all. I don't know how legit anything is yet. But as said before, I haven't had any problems with it.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 03:34 PM

I was just adding what I've read, the more information the better ^_^

Quote:
Furthermore, Apple's statement doesn't address the very real issue of handsets losing up to 24dB of signal strength from simple bridging two of the phone's antennas—which is either a serious hardware flaw or another error in how the phone detunes its antennas.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...not-signal.ars

Can't tell you for sure what's going on, but Ars is a pretty trusted site, so I'm going to have to be skeptical with them on this one.

~Cody

Normal User

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iPhone 4 - July 2nd 2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I was just adding what I've read, the more information the better ^_^

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...not-signal.ars

Can't tell you for sure what's going on, but Ars is a pretty trusted site, so I'm going to have to be skeptical with them on this one.
So instead of increasing bars, Apple will instead just give a more accurate reading of your signal strength. One more year. At least I only have a 3GS instead of a 4.
Closed Thread