TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 12:46 AM

So I have never had a NETbook... have had plenty of notebook computers but never a netbook... what is everyone's experiences?
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 01:35 AM

my mom has one. I find it rather annoying. It is small, not only the screen (which means, even online games run too big so you can't see the whole game) but the keyboard as well. I find it difficult to type on, because it's not even close to a full size keyboard or even a regular laptop keyboard.

As well... you need to keep in mind that unless you have an external disk drive... no gaming, or inputing hardware that needs cds for you... which.. if it's your only computer would probably end up getting pretty annoying after awhile.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 01:38 AM

Netbooks are useful for note-taking and such, but you pretty much need to pair them with a desktop for more general use (and your sanity).

~Cody

Normal User

Last edited by TheNumber42; June 29th 2010 at 03:16 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 01:43 AM

I can't stand them myself...it's a sure route to eye strain and high blood pressure, for all the reasons stated already >.>

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 06:17 PM

I find the screens perfectly passable, and even the ones with the nub-mouse are perfectly usable. However the miniature keyboard I can not stand. I have seen people use them without difficulty, but perhaps I have spent too much time playing instruments to use anything that involves scrunching your figures together.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post

As well... you need to keep in mind that unless you have an external disk drive... no gaming, or inputing hardware that needs cds for you... which.. if it's your only computer would probably end up getting pretty annoying after awhile.
External disk drives are super cheap these days. I got mine for 8 ^_^

I <3 my netbook. If you want to game, you get a pc.

It can run everything you need it to on the internet, good for microsoft office and stuff. It does most things, and like everything, you get used to the smaller keyboard.

It does everything but gaming really. and I can run my old games on it like doom and quake and stuff

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Netbooks - June 29th 2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
I find the screens perfectly passable, and even the ones with the nub-mouse are perfectly usable. However the miniature keyboard I can not stand. I have seen people use them without difficulty, but perhaps I have spent too much time playing instruments to use anything that involves scrunching your figures together.
I personally find the nub mouses preferable

I can hardly use any keyboard properly because I have big clumsy hands, so I'm sure I would fail with netbook keyboards during regular use. I know I hate my laptop for it's below average size keyboard, I can imagine I'd be displeased with a netbook.

~Cody

Normal User

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Netbooks - July 1st 2010, 03:54 AM

good for general/basic task.. music/word/spreadsheets/homework/web ect...

its a blast using it on ur bed. cuz they have up to 10 hours of battery life(on some models)

just dont expect to play video games. and the keyboard is tiny. go to a store and type a paragraph.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Connie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Connie

Re: Netbooks - July 1st 2010, 04:08 AM

I love mt netbook !!!! It runs all the I need when I'm out. MS Office, get on the internet, e-mail, basic games. The small size is perfect for my backpak or shoulder bag.
I would not recommend anything smaller than 10.1" and not your only computer. Definately need a Desktop or Laptop for use at home.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Netbooks - July 1st 2010, 11:48 AM

I have a Samsung N110 Netbook and I like it a lot. I don't do much on the computer. Just browse the internet and make a few word documents. I use a mac for my gaming, so that's not a problem.

I love my netbook, it's so small and portable. It can be a bit slow if you're trying to do too many things at once. But I've never had any problems. And with the netbook I have, I can always upgrade the RAM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TriBlox6432 Offline
Odan
Average Joe

Re: Netbooks - July 2nd 2010, 08:24 PM

I own a netbook. It's nice and ultraportable for school and the like, but ALL netbooks are closer to smart phones than computers these days. Now, even lower end computers have core i5's, 6gb of RAM, and 2tb HDDs. A netbook has a 1.6ghz Atom processor, 1gb of RAM, and 160gb HDD. That's the standard at least. Not to mention, if you run Windows on it at all it's slow as hell. You need to get Linux on there. I run full Ubuntu with no problems but if you want a powerhouse you need to go with minimalistic like Puppy or Damn Small Linux. Maybe even crunchbang. But, I said it's a large smart phone that can't make phone calls. Yes, I love my netbook, but I don't think it was worth the $300. Double that and you can get a real computer that's 4x better. But if you really need an ultraportable to run Linux or hackintosh it, and only want to use it for basic stuff like note taking, then go for it. It's cheaper than an iPad!!

Closed Thread