TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

View Poll Results: Which one?
iOS 5 55.56%
Android 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

iOS vs. Android - July 1st 2010, 11:03 PM

Which do you prefer? I have an iPhone, have only seen Android on my cousin's Droid, but it looks really nice. Hoping to get a phone running Android next year.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 03:58 AM

Andriod can either really suck or is really good!!! it depends on the version!

buy version 2.1 or up..

There is alot of older/lowend andriod phones that uses the old outdated adroid OS's

2.1 is supose to be very competitive. iOS is not perfect. 2.1 is better than the iOS in quite a few areas.. and vise versa.

driod came out with 2.0... now its 2.1.. which is good.

3.0 is coming soon. so when u buy a phone look out for 3.0... but it will be in the more powerful and expensive phones. phones next year maybe dual core too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 04:27 AM

Froyo is being slowly released to phones I hear. Gingerbread won't be available till around October I think, but you'll probably need a new phone since the minimum hardware requirement is going up.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 05:18 AM

I think Gingerbread is supposed to be announced in mid-October and released onto devices around December. I'm not sure what I want anymore. I know I want Android, but if the phone i was looking at can't run Gingerbread, I may be waiting for one that can and also meets my requirements.

~Cody

Normal User

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 02:38 PM

yea u guys know what ur talk about.. i didnt use the versions code names... because those are internally used names.. which can be confusing to peoplewho doesnt follow those the smartphone news.

GingerBread= 3.0 Andriod
Froyo = 2.2 Andriod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 03:12 PM

I don't even need to be asked this question. Definitely an iOS follower. Never owned an Android phone, had a little play but wasn't too impressed. iOS all the way.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TriBlox6432 Offline
Odan
Average Joe

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 2nd 2010, 08:27 PM

Android is a million times better than iOS. iOS is too locked down, you can't do ANYTHING that you want. Apple acts like you're renting hardware, not buying it. But, I like the iPhone more than any of the android phones so I run my own hacked iOS firmware that I can mod anyway I want. It's a pretty sweet get-up. But I also have android dual-booting on my iPhone too. Youtube vids of it. It's pretty sweet.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 3rd 2010, 04:39 AM

Andriod. Major downfall with iOS is, simply put, AT&T is crap. Andriod does everything an iPhone can (dare I say more?) and my carrier has exceptional service everywhere I go.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 4th 2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Andriod. Major downfall with iOS is, simply put, AT&T is crap. Andriod does everything an iPhone can (dare I say more?) and my carrier has exceptional service everywhere I go.
*cough* unlock.

iOs for me. Just has a much better experience. Although it's locked down, it makes me feel safer, because I can do anything I want and know it won't break my phone or anything. If I want to install something from Cydia, I dread it, because it might brick my iPod (although DFU is always an option.) Oh and there's the fact that all Android apps look ugly as hell.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 4th 2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
Android is a million times better than iOS. iOS is too locked down, you can't do ANYTHING that you want. Apple acts like you're renting hardware, not buying it.
Android mainly for this reason. I shouldn't have to jailbreak my phone for it to work as I want it to!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 6th 2010, 05:30 PM

iOS is nice because the worst an app you install can do is crash, and you pretty much wasted your money until they fix it because Apple refuses to give refunds on apps. If you jailbreak it's really a cast of the dice with each package, but I have yet to install one that majorly messed up my phone. Also Steve Jobs has this iRobot mentality. "We must protect the consumers from themselves," or something. Then again I think it's sort of a necessity given some of their customers. I don't have much to say on Android, mainly because I've never used it, but when it's new phone time, phones are probably be going to running 3.0, which is going to be a whole different ballgame, especially with the hardware upgrades.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 6th 2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post

*cough* unlock.

iOs for me. Just has a much better experience. Although it's locked down, it makes me feel safer, because I can do anything I want and know it won't break my phone or anything. If I want to install something from Cydia, I dread it, because it might brick my iPod (although DFU is always an option.) Oh and there's the fact that all Android apps look ugly as hell.
Android is much more open AND it has safeguards in place that protect your phone from getting damaged. Sure you do have to be a bit more careful because it's not watched as closely, but sometimes that's the price you pay for freedom. I don't feel uncomfortable deciding if an app is safe or not and I'd rather have the choice than just have it blocked by some random Apple employee. Besides, with an Android it's a hell of a lot easier to un-brick your phone if you have to. With Apple, if anything goes wrong you pretty much have to try taking it to the Apple store, which of course won't do anything because you voided your warranty.

And as far as them being uglier, I think that's a generalization. Apple screens their apps to make sure only the most prettiful, safe ones get through. Android allows anything. You can get more varied function (not just what apple allows) and other visual styles this way. Sure that means a lot of crappy, ugly apps, but there are also a lot of really useful and well-designed apps.

~Cody

Normal User

(#13 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 6th 2010, 06:19 PM

I have NEVER seen a well designed Android app. Maybe Spotify actually. And you can 99.9% of the time put your iPhone into DFU mode, and get it back working.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 08:36 AM

Do you have an Android phone? How many Android apps have you seen and actually used?

I will admit that I have fairly little experience with hacking and modding iPhones, but the way I understand it, it's a constant battle by Apple to ruin your phone if you've jailbroke it. You can buy Android phones (the Nexus One, for example) that allow custom ROMs out of the box (well, with a minor tweak, but no fancy hacking or special hardware). Seems much easier, safer and better to me. But it's all subjective, eh?

~Cody

Normal User

(#15 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 03:51 PM

There is no fancy hacking. Plug in iPod, open Spirit, click Jailbreak, wait 10 seconds, done.
I don't own an Android phone, but I've spent about 4/5 hours on one, plus I keep up with Android news/reviews, and I have very rarely seen nicely designed apps. Whereas with the iPhone, I very rarely find apps that aren't well-designed.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 04:00 PM

It's easy, unless you're unlucky enough to have one with a bootloader that requires a tethered jailbreak. Maybe I've just used crappy phones before, but most have needed at least a daily restart. That would get annoying real quick.

I don't need my apps to be super pretty, considering that nearly 6/10 of the Android Market is free apps, I just need them to do what they're supposed to do. Function > form.

Though I understand I' not bringing up the best points against iOS because I've been too busy to really keep up with news on either platform, and I also know it's all based on opinion.

I guess I could always go "the iPhone doesn't have multi-tasking and Android does" route, because that's a pretty big point for me, honestly.

~Cody

Normal User

(#17 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 04:50 PM

Except that the iPhone DOES have multitasking, and does it better than any other device. And you only need to restart a tethered one if you SHUT DOWN the iPhone. I just left mine on sleep when I was on a tethered one.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 04:55 PM

No, it doesn't have multi-tasking. It has a pseudo-multi-tasking approximation of the real thing. I'm sorry, but it doesn't count when it pauses apps sent to the background. What if I had an FTP client that I was trying to upload something with and sent it to the background on an iPhone? All activity would stop and the program would be useless. So no, it doesn't have multi-tasking.

~Cody

Normal User

(#19 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: iOS vs. Android - July 7th 2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
No, it doesn't have multi-tasking. It has a pseudo-multi-tasking approximation of the real thing. I'm sorry, but it doesn't count when it pauses apps sent to the background. What if I had an FTP client that I was trying to upload something with and sent it to the background on an iPhone? All activity would stop and the program would be useless. So no, it doesn't have multi-tasking.
If they built it right, it'd still submit the data in the background.

Closed Thread