TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

"Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 18th 2010, 09:29 AM

I switched back to using Pidgin about a month ago after msn would stop responding every ten minutes or so and it's been really good. But I tried to log on this morning and got this:

Quote:
Invalid certificate authority signature

The certificate chain presented by omega.contacts.msn.com does not have a valid digital signature from the Certificate Authority from which it claims to have a signature.
I looked online to try and solve it but I'm not that good with technology and there was too much computer-talk that I couldn't understand.
Does anyone know how to fix it?
If it makes a difference, I'm using Windows Vista and it was working fine last night, nothing changed since then that I'm aware of.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 18th 2010, 04:32 PM

There may be an issue with the service right now. I know the other day I was having difficulty loading my contact list. They might be doing maintenance. I'd check back later to see if it works again.

The only reason it looks a little scary is because Pidgin fully discloses what is going on. If the same issue cropped up in MSN it would probably say something cryptic about your contact list.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 19th 2010, 03:44 PM

So I just got an email from someone who claims to have a solution. But I'm wary of emails from strangers, so can anyone see anything that might be wrong with this, just before I actually follow the instructions?

Quote:
Hi,

I found your post from a google search

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f24-t...hority-figure/

I found a fix, this problem is so weird and rare I thought I would share it with you. Apparently a number of other people have been having this issue and it came up at the Pidgin help forum,

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/12906

I tried the following solution from this page:

----
Changed 20 hours ago by dclaarit

How to replace your certficate (the GUI method):

Go to pidgin's Tools->Certificates to remove the old certificate. Don't close this window yet. (You can, but it is easier to not)

With your browser, go to https://omega.contacts.msn.com. It will give you "Directory Listing Denied"

With Firefox, if you click on the lock in the lower right corner, you get a dialog box, where you can click on View Certificate. On its Details tab, you can export the certificate to a file.

Now, back on the pidgin Tools->Certificates dialog, you can add this certificate, and all is well.

When I click on the lock in the address bar in IE, I can see the certificate, but it won't let me export it, so I can't help you there.
--------

For me, this worked brilliantly. One thing he doesn't make clear, when you add the new certificate to Pidgin, just name it "omega.contacts.msn.com" (the same name as the old one). There is alot of jargon, but the basic idea isn't too complicated, basically you are just replacing your old certificate which doesn't work, with a new one which does.

My guess is, this is Microsoft's fault. It would not surprise me at all if they made a change to their system which caused a competitor's product to stop working, they have a history of this kind of behavior.

Regards

David

We are the rainbow

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 19th 2010, 03:48 PM

I've had this. :'D I've deleted the certificate and reinstalled Pidgin twice. I'll try it and let you know whether it works.

Basically, go to https://omega.contacts.msn.com/, download the certificate, it doesn't matter if you rename it (although I'd recommend renaming it, because it still works) there's no need to delete the other certificate, just add this one, and it's all systems go.

Last edited by Bibliophile; November 19th 2010 at 03:56 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 19th 2010, 07:20 PM

I've done that, it didn't work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Pidgin and did it again and it's still not working.

We are the rainbow

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 19th 2010, 07:30 PM

Yeah, mine's gone down again. I've given up on it. Anyone have ideas?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: "Invalid Certificate Authority Figure" - November 20th 2010, 12:54 AM

I had this error too. I looked at the ticket and it seems that Pidgin was not properly updating to the new version of the certificates. However, if you delete the certificate and install the new version it should work.

I followed the steps here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/fix-p...ctsmsncom.html

It worked for me. However, it runs on a complex system with multiple dependencies, if you are running on a different set up there may be additional issues unrelated to Pidgin, such as versions of OpenSSL, etc.

Closed Thread