TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - January 18th 2011, 04:29 PM

As the title says, I'm looking for a wireless keybaord and mouse (preferably a set that's bought together). My budget's about 40... although I can stretch to 50.

Anyone got any good experience in this? Can you give me some suggestions? Almost every keyboard I find on the internet for some reason doesn't have it's wireless range displayed :/. I've had to call up the supplier every time to find out. Some apparently have problems with Windows 7, etc....

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - January 19th 2011, 01:50 AM

For keyboards and mouse, I have only used products from Microsoft itself and Logictech, so I might not be a good source to get the information from. But for both, I have never had any problem getting them to work--up until now, they all have been plug-and-play. No trouble at all.

I would recommend you to play attention to a few things though:
  • Battery Life: Self-explanatory here.
  • Gaming vs. Everyday Usage: Self-explanatory here, too.
  • Keyboard layout: UK vs. US vs. Others, self-explanatory here, right?
  • Universal Receiver: A universal receiver allows you to plug only ONE receive into your computer's USB port for all your wireless needs (e.g. one receiver for both keyboard and mouse).
  • Range: How far would you like? If you cannot find it on the selling page, just go directly to the manufacturer's page and check it out. You can also simply enter the name into Google search and let it search for the manufacturer's page for you. Alternatively, you can always read the comments on the page and find out.

Also, if this were about 5 years ago, I would have recommended to watch for the compatibility of the hardwares, but now, as long as you don't mistake a MAC's accessory for a Windows one, you are pretty much good to go. Just watch for the OS compatibility.

A warning though: The receivers is the most troublesome part of these wireless toys. It's not exactly often, but the receivers sometimes decide not to work after only a few weeks. It's not very often that this happens, but it does happen more often than it should. One of my friend's 4-month-old receiver just went kaput last Thursday.

So for your "ease-of-return," I would recommend you buying them from your local stores. At least, if anything happens within the first 2 or 3 weeks, you might be able to return it and get a new one without having to go through the trouble of mailing them around. (I live in the USA so I don't know the return policy of UK stores, sorry.)

With that said, however, have you checked out Amazon.co.uk yet? Check under Keyboard and Mice department (the department selection is on the left of your screen). They got some pretty good prices there.

Also, occasionally, you can get really good discounts on these sites:
  • HotUKDeals: UK-focus deal-hunting site
  • SlickDeals: Real user submission and votes, it has a forum threat attached to each deal so that users can discuss whether the deal is good or not, or even how to lower the price even more.
  • Woot!: A bit unique in and of itself, Woot! doesn't offer tons of deals like SlickDeals and HotUKDeals; rather, it only offers one deal per day--the deal would be well below the regular retail price. So, if you are lucky, tomorrow might be what you need. Good luck with that though,

Who knows! Sometimes it might be worth it to bet your luck on a cheap deal. I have 3 wireless mice (1 from Microsoft and 2 from Logictech) and none have any problem so far (it has been a little over a year since I bought the newest one). Luck wins!

Last edited by Digilodger; January 19th 2011 at 11:45 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - January 19th 2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks that's helpfull

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread