TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

My laptop's going funny :/ - January 20th 2011, 09:50 PM

Every now and then it goes really slow then the internet won't work :| Once I restart my laptop everything goes fine but it takes ages to start up.

I've done about three full system scans with Avast and it finds the odd dodgy file but nothing seems incredibly threatening. I've removed all the files it finds but my laptop still acts up now and then :| I've removed a few large programs I don't use also.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 12:54 AM

I'm gonna assume you use Windows because that's, like, 90% of the population.

From your description, it doesn't sound like you have a virus or anything -- just some typical startup lag. This is natural as your computer gets older, but there are a few things we can do to fix it.

On your keyboard, press the Windows key and R, the same way you'd press the Ctrl key and C to copy. (The Windows key is the key you press to open the Start menu.) In the box that pops up, type dfrg.msc and press Enter. The Defragmentation utility will pop up; defragment whatever partition you're running your system on (this will usually be C:\).

Then, download the OTC by OldTimer. This is a simple tool that cleans your temporary files and makes your computer run faster. Save it to your Desktop, open it, and just press the big button in the middle. (It's hard to do much else. )

Finally, you say the lag is mostly at startup? If you want me to go over what's actually getting launched at startup and remove the unnecessary ones that are probably contributing to your massive lag, just let me know and I will.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!

Last edited by Irinya; January 21st 2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: fix link
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 06:02 AM

Could you please provide more details on this? You're pretty much leaving us in the dark here (and taking shots in the dark isn't a very enjoyable activity). At the very least, please tell us your computer's manufacturer, operating system, how old it is, and basic specs (this is at the very least). Of course, the more details, the better.

There are many potential causes for slow computer. Some basic ones are:
  1. Not enough memory (applies to both RAM and/or hard drive)
  2. Too many programs and services running at once or there's a resource hog somewhere
  3. Extremely fragmented files
  4. Corrupted data or registry
  5. Malware
  6. Hardware failures
  7. Hardware conflicts

Now then, let the elimination process begins . . . as soon as you provide us with more details on your system and your problem

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 01:28 PM

I just de-fragmented it and downloaded that program I'll launch it now

@Rod, does this help?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 04:44 PM

Nice custom cursor (looks like diamond, )! But are you sure that you did not pirated that copy of Windows? The Windows Activation section caught my attention.

That could have happened because one of the followings reasons:
  1. you never activated your OS (which is extremely unlikely)
  2. sppsvc.exe is disabled or removed, which is a common sight on pirated OS, or
  3. you ran something that removed all product keys on your computer (such as the command slmgr.vbs –upk).

That's just FYI (For Your Information). What you do with your computer and how you obtained it is not my business here.

Anyhow, fairly decent system, I don't think the lack of memory and power are the problem here. But just to make sure:
  • check Task Manager to see if your processor and RAM usage are at higher than 90%, and,
  • check your hard drive and see if it is full or almost full.
Do they seem fine?

If they are fine, then it's probably either corrupted data or registry, malware, or a hardware problem. Let's hope that it's not a hardware problem because (no offense) but I don't think you should opening up your laptop and mess around with its internal part by yourself.

So, moving on:

Run Check Disk and Disk Defrag--Check Disk is to verify that there's nothing physically wrong with the hard drive; Defrag is to make sure that your data is in good order. There're a few ways to run this; let's do it via a GUI, rather than command:
  • Go to MY COMPUTER
  • Right click on your local drive (usually C: Drive)
  • Select PROPERTY
  • Click on the TOOLS tab
  • Under error checking, choose CHECK NOW
  • (The defragment option is there, too, but according to your previous post, you've already ran it, so never mind.)

Here's a screenshot if you don't know where to go.

And now, to summarize what we did in this post:
  1. I suspect that your copy of Vista is pirated.
  2. We checked if your system has enough resources to operate without being pushed to over 90% (CPU, RAM, and hard drive).
  3. We checked whether there is anything wrong with the hard drive.
  4. You defragmented and ensured that your data is in good orders.

If nothing is wrong there (if something is wrong, please do report), then next time, let's move on to background and startup programs, corrupted data and registry (which is the one that I really think is causing the problem), and malware next.

So, what's the result?

Good luck!

Last edited by Digilodger; January 21st 2011 at 04:50 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 05:20 PM

Hey Rod,

I've had quite a bit of experience in fixing up computers, and I just want to add something in here.

It's almost impossible for a "corrupted" registry to actually affect the performance of your computer. Mostly, when people talk about "corrupted" registry key and entries, they're actually talking about stuff that's left behind when you uninstall programs. Now, these don't actually do anything. It's been shown that they don't affect the speed of your operating system.

So if you're going to advise running a registry cleaner next, I would have to strongly advise against it. Removing the "corrupted" keys won't do anything, but on the off-chance that a useful/necessary key is removed, the results could be very bad indeed. If it isn't broken, don't fix it -- and trust me, you would have noticed much bigger problems if your registry was broken in ways that actually mattered.

Also, I already had him defrag. However, chkdsk did slip my mind, and that would indeed be nice to try here.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 21st 2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaminohexanoate View Post
Hey Rod,

So if you're going to advise running a registry cleaner next, I would have to strongly advise against it. Removing the "corrupted" keys won't do anything, but on the off-chance that a useful/necessary key is removed, the results could be very bad indeed. If it isn't broken, don't fix it -- and trust me, you would have noticed much bigger problems if your registry was broken in ways that actually mattered.

Don't worry, I won't recommend clean registry, unless absolute necessary. I understand that with the new systems these days, rarely does cleaning registry necessary. I would most likely recommended a system restore before that. Thanks for the warning though

The reason I suspect corrupted registry is because she mentioned that she removed some . . . "stuffs" and "large files." I have no idea what she removed so . . . yeah, you know.

However, if we try everything and nothing work, then we would resort to messing around with the registry, and if that fails, reinstalling windows. At worst, a low-level format. Besides, we can minimize the potential danger of messing with registry by always backup our registry and create a system restore point before doing that, agree?

But those are last resorts, we still have system restore and create a new user account as not-yet-tried alternative.

To be honest though, I am tempting to just tell her to just try these and get this whole thing over with:
  1. Make sure that the system is malware-free (we won't be 100% sure, but even just 80% would be better.)
  2. Check for rootkits.
  3. If the results are clean, backup all important files (preferrably on a separate device, like a USB flash drive or just store them online).
  4. Then do a system restore.
  5. If problem still exist, reinstall Windows.
  6. Don't import old files yet, wait and see if problem still exist.
  7. If not, go ahead and import old files. If it still exist, then it's time to take it to a professional. I don't think it's wise to try to instruct her to mess with the BIOS and hardware.

^ I haven't say anything about doing system restore OR reinstall OS yet because she seems to have customized her system so much (notice the customized cursor and Windows Activation in her screenshot), just wiping them all away and make her do them all again would be rather annoying.

We have minimal information provided here so it's kind of a let's-shoot-with-blindfold-on game. And I still need to ask her for list of startup programs,

Last edited by Digilodger; January 21st 2011 at 07:35 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 23rd 2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone I fixed my computer going super slow at start up after watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSwtNiBx5A

I got rid of any crap I didn't need Ummmm... honestly that seems to have fixed it :/ maybe I was just running too many programs at once.

And yep, it's a registered copy of Windows I don't know why the Product ID come up like that it's coming up for me now.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 24th 2011, 02:58 AM

No problem. Glad you managed to fix your box.

If you need any help with any more tech issues, we'll be here.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My laptop's going funny :/ - January 24th 2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys Nice to know I can always ask here ^____^ I think this thread can be closed now as my laptop seems to be working fine again

Closed Thread