TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 21st 2011, 11:31 AM

msn made me get the latest msn update, and since ive had it (only just got laptop fixed) my laptop has been doing crash memory dumps, not responding and internet randomly closes and opens, i recently had someone come round and remove adaware of it for me, and other stuff and fix my webcame, but now my laptops playing up agian and its only being doing it since msn made me get the latest msn update ??

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 01:37 PM

Hey Lydia.

Sounds like there could still be some dodgy adware or malware on your computer. Also, when you say 'crash memory dumps', what exactly does it say when that happens?

A good program for getting rid of miscellaneous crapware (as I call it >.>) is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

Just click the download link at the top and install the program. It's shareware, which means (in this instance) that whilst you can perform scans and remove crapware with it, the full range of features it has can't be used unless you buy the full version (which, if you're having problems like this often, is something to consider).

Another thing to think about is to see what anti-virus programs you have, and make sure you only have one, since if you have more than one, it can cause problems with your computer since they're both low-level applications. Basically, they're both trying to do the same thing, that thing being something which shouldn't have two things try to do it, if that makes any sense?

My failed attempts at layman's terms aside, tell me how this all goes.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 04:59 PM

i did have two different sets of virus protection but i removed the other one. when it does the crash memory dumps the screen goes blue and i get a message come up saying ' windows has dected a fault it is now rebooting to save the harddisk any damage' it then shuts down and loads up agian. and then when it loads and i log back on it says ' windows is checking for a solution to this problem'. i had adaware/adware manually removed the other day as my mum got someone round to do this and they removed a few other things too and they did a disk cleanup.

Videos team

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisschatterbox View Post
i did have two different sets of virus protection but i removed the other one. when it does the crash memory dumps the screen goes blue and i get a message come up saying ' windows has dected a fault it is now rebooting to save the harddisk any damage' it then shuts down and loads up agian. and then when it loads and i log back on it says ' windows is checking for a solution to this problem'. i had adaware/adware manually removed the other day as my mum got someone round to do this and they removed a few other things too and they did a disk cleanup.

You should have included in this information in your first post. This seems like what has been dubbed as "BSoD" (or Blue Screen of Death).

Now then, please tell me that you did NOT discard that screen away and forgot to write down what it said.
  • If you see something like STOP: 0x00000000 (a bunch more 0x... here), please post the first portion of that line here.
  • Do you see a line with all capital letters connected with underscores? SOMETHING_LIKE_THIS ? If yes, please post what it says here.
  • If it provides the exactly file name and technical information, please post them here, too.

Those information will make it a lot easier to pinpoint the problem.

Alternatively, have you tried using system restore yet? Restore your system to a point BEFORE the problem occur might help.

Also, Adaware is DIFFERENT from adware. Adaware is an antimalware program; adware is a type of malware. This part didn't make any sense in both of your previous posts. Please clarify what you mean.

Last edited by Digilodger; January 22nd 2011 at 05:52 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 05:55 PM

i didnt get a chance to read what it said it did it so quick all i saw was ' windows has detected a fault it is now rebooting to prevent your harddisks from damage' and saw it said crash memory dump and didnt get to see anything else as it then rebooted. it hasnt done it since yesterday morning though, so maybe it was a one off thing ? but i cant be sure, it just seems strange that since i updated msn it did the crash memory dump, which seemed odd, seeming as msn made me update ?

Videos team

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
i didnt get a chance to read what it said it did it so quick all i saw was ' windows has detected a fault it is now rebooting to prevent your harddisks from damage' and saw it said crash memory dump and didnt get to see anything else as it then rebooted. it hasnt done it since yesterday morning though, so maybe it was a one off thing ? but i cant be sure, it just seems strange that since i updated msn it did the crash memory dump, which seemed odd, seeming as msn made me update ?

Okay, forget trying to pinpoint the problem. Without those information, it would be really time-consuming to find out. Thanks for clarifying . If it does appear again though, please, please, please write them down. Please!

I don't think that it was caused by the MSN update. I don't have physical access to your computer like your mom's friend, so I can't really check it myself, but I highly doubt that the update could have done something to lead to a BSoD.

But for now, let's begin the general steps anyway. I still don't know what kind of computer you have. Could you please post the general information of your computer? I need to AT LEAST know the operating system (XP, Vista, 7, etc.).

Thanks!

And yes, it could have been a one-time thing. No idea. You're probably better off asking whoever was fixing your computer before. He/she has physical access to your computer, which means there was A LOT of stuffs that he/she could have done on there. He/she would know this better than any of us on here.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 06:06 PM

its a compaq and its a windows vista but it also has HP software on it (which it came with it when we bought it about a year and a half ago)

Videos team

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: laptop doing crash memory dumps - January 22nd 2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
its a compaq and its a windows vista but it also has HP software on it (which it came with it when we bought it about a year and a half ago)
Well, I was hoping for a little more info, but, let's see . . . . You've a few choices:
  1. you can just leave it be and see if it would happen again, or
  2. you can try to restore your system earlier point of time and check to make sure that everything works like they should.

If you choose option 1, then if the BSoD happens again, please:
  • If you see something like STOP: 0x00000000 (a bunch more 0x... here), please post the first portion of that line here.
  • Do you see a line with all capital letters connected with underscores? SOMETHING_LIKE_THIS ? If yes, please post what it says here.
  • If it provides the exactly file name and technical information, please post them here, too.

Those basic info would make it a lot easier to troubleshoot. Without those, we are pretty much taking shots in the dark here.

If you choose option 2, then follow these steps:
  • First, restore your system to an earlier point of time, before this has happened. If you don't know how, click here for instruction.
  • AFTER you are done restoring, check your computer for malware (which includes viruses, spywares, adwares, keyloggers, etc.). If you lack the softwares, please ask here. We can always provide some recommendations.
  • Then perform a Disk Check to see if there's anything wrong with the hard disk. (Go to MY COMPUTER --> Right click on your local drive (usually C: Drive) --> Select PROPERTY --> Click on the TOOLS tab --> Under error checking, choose CHECK NOW ||| [click here for a screenshot].)
  • There're a few other steps that verifying whether there're problems in system data or serious problem in the registry but since those are rather complicated, we will just have to bet that system restore fixed them. Also, because you said it only happened after you did some update, we're also betting on the chance that it's not a hardware problem.

Good luck!

Closed Thread