TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Tracking cookies - January 29th 2011, 11:36 AM

Every time I run a virus scan a few "tracking cookies" come up, other than that my PC is pretty clean. It's just I always thought cookies were harmless :/ why do they come up on Avast all the time?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Tracking cookies - January 29th 2011, 11:56 AM

They're tracking devices your browser saves from third party sites when you visit them. All it does, really, is memorize that you've been there.

For example, the "teenhelp.org" cookie tracker will have "Avada Kedavra" within it somewhere, all that means is that your browser has remembered you've been to teenhelp.org under the username Avada Kedavra.

You could clear your cookies, but then that would mean your browser forgets you've been here under the username you sign in with.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Tracking cookies - January 29th 2011, 12:16 PM

I thought they were something to do with that why does Avast think they're bad then?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Tracking cookies - January 29th 2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
I thought they were something to do with that why does Avast think they're bad then?
Because if it doesn't, many users might abandon it; that's one of the reasons. Many people judge the effectiveness of an antimalware program based solely on the number of threats it detects. They refuse to consider other aspects of an antimalware program, such as false positives and the likelihood of detecting new threats that aren't in the database.

Another reason is that some people are very concern about privacy--some actually paranoid about it. Usually cookies are used to remember your logins and settings on websites, but occasionally, you will find some cookies specifically designed to track your movement on the internet. So the antimalware programs have this detect-cookie feature in case someone wants it; it's optional though, and you can turn it off if you want.

Can cookies harm your computer? As of now (the moment I type this post), no, not by themselves. They are just simple text files. Like I said above, usually cookies are used to remember your logins and settings on websites, but occasionally, you will find some cookies specifically designed to track your movement on the internet. Whether they are harmful or not is up to how the person perceives "privacy."

NOTE: Again, this is as-of-now. I don't know how much they would evolved in the future; technology advances fast! Who knows what they would be capable of in another . . . 30 or 50 years from now.

Hope this answered your question,

Last edited by Digilodger; January 29th 2011 at 03:40 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Tracking cookies - February 4th 2011, 02:00 AM

It saves all the information on all the pages you've visited. It is a low risk so it's nothing to worry about. Just try cleaning your history everytime you exit internet explorer. This can be done by clicking tools, then go to options, there you can clear your history. Also, it's good to do a c disk cleanup too. That's found in your tools when you click on the start menu.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Tracking cookies - February 4th 2011, 04:43 AM

I think everyone else has explained this pretty well.

In short, a "dangerous" tracking cookie is almost impossible. avast! and many other scanners will flag them because more hits makes the user more confident in the scanner (the basic principle behind rogue antivirus scanners) and because they don't know how paranoid you are about your online privacy.

Unless you work for the government or something, or really are that uptight about your security, tracking cookies are nothing to worry about. (They do go well with milk, though.)

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
Closed Thread