TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 03:52 AM

What do you all think of Formspring? I have one, and it's never caused me any problems because I always reply either painfully honestly or impossibly cryptically, and I'm just not that popular in the first place.

But I've known people who have gotten bullied to a tremendous extent via Formspring. The anonymity turns people who are otherwise fairly moderate jerks into complete... insert expletive here. And that disgusts me.

What do you all think of Formspring as a whole? I don't believe it's all that useful, and I think it definitely has the potential to be harmful and abused. However, I will say that I have become friends with one of the most interesting and incredible people I know through Formspring (victim of bullying/rumors, and I sent her a message), so you never know.

edit - Ironically, right after I posted this, I got like seventeen Formspring questions (from different people, no less -- maybe I am popular...?) as well as my favorite question anywhere of all time: "Have you ever met an amino acid you didn't like?"

Hilarious. Made my evening.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!

Last edited by Irinya; February 14th 2011 at 03:59 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 04:12 AM

I have one. It's called CheyenneIsBAMF.
LOL. I never got anything nasty on it...well, excepting one message from my best friend saying 'Are you a gross ginger f*ck?'
But I think the amount of bullying that goes on it is just stupid.
IMO, the whole 'anonymous' thing is what starts the problem. At least when people bully on Facebook, then they have their name on it and they're somewhat held accountable. But on Formspring, people just let loose on others because they aren't forced to take responsibility for their actions. It's really dumb. There are lots of other, way more 'safe' methods to make friends online that aren't Formspring.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 04:25 AM

I never got too many questions so I stopped using it
I have a few friends that have gotten harassed with it. Its just too easy since it can be anonymous.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 07:48 AM

Why would you get it if you don't want harsh responses, when there are countless stories about formspring bullying? My friend has a formspring and she gets so many hateful comments and she just laughs it off. Like, graphic "heard you went anal to mouth last night" or "for a whore, you are pretty fucking sensitive".

My analogy for formspring bullying is like wearing expensive jewelry and walking through a dangerous part of the city at 4am (it's 3:48am now!). You will probably get robbed. Sure, it's wrong that you got robbed, and they are criminals, but you definitely set yourself up for it.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 08:54 AM

I used it as a bit of fun, but soon got bored of it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Formspring. - February 14th 2011, 04:15 PM

I used to have one. I shut it down though. some people who i know who've got it get annoying or not very nice comments, while i've heard or seen others who get absolutly horrible ones. i must admit though, some people love it. people post some really horrible things and they reply with things that allow them to keep their dignity, and it does make me laugh. but due to a few examples i shut mine down to stay away from trouble like this. in my opinion, the fact most harsh comments are posted anonymously shows alot about the poster - its a cowards paradise.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#7 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Formspring. - February 17th 2011, 03:09 AM

I have one, but the only questions I get are ones i ask myself--because i get bored. Then I found this site.. I haven't been back since.

But no one from my school are on it, so I don't know anyone personally get bullied on it.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
Closed Thread