TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mi Sun

Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 16th 2011, 10:20 PM

Okay so I've always used google as my search engine.. but recently i'll click the links and it'll take me to an irrelevent page that wasn't displayed as the website I clicked on.
I'm also getting pop ups on Youtube..
Anyone else experiencing this?

"Aww How Sweet!"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 16th 2011, 10:28 PM

YEAH! I was wondering the same thing. This has been happening to me as well. It's annoying and I don't get it.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 16th 2011, 11:21 PM

Sounds like some sort of malware on your computer to me. Do a full virus scan on your computer. I would explain more but I'm on iPod right now.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 17th 2011, 02:25 AM

Please scan for malware NOW! Most likely that's the work of a browser hijacker.

If you don't already have antimalware program or if your antimalware program unable to remove it, then you can:
  • Install SUPERAntiSpyware (the free version or portable version should be enough), update it, and scan your computer with it, or
  • Malwarebytes should work, too. Take your pick; both have free versions available.

In worst case scenario (if your favorite antimalware program, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes unable to remove it), then you can download Hijackthis and run it. It will generate a log; please copy and paste that log on here. We can manually take further actions then.

Last edited by Digilodger; February 17th 2011 at 02:37 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mi Sun

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 18th 2011, 12:43 AM

Well in fairness my friend has been getting the same thing as me.. but I'll do a scan and such anyway, I have good software that'll hopefully sort it on my computer..

erm.. what sort of stuff does it do may i ask besides make popups? can it access passwords and stuff.. should i delete my history,cookies,etc.. just in case?

"Aww How Sweet!"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 18th 2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
Well in fairness my friend has been getting the same thing as me.. but I'll do a scan and such anyway, I have good software that'll hopefully sort it on my computer..
One possible scenario is that your friend shared a link with you and you clicked on it. Yep, that's all you need to get infected. Want to know the details? (This post is already long so I won't go into it--as well as how to prevent it happen to you--but if you wish, I can always post another one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
erm.. what sort of stuff does it do may i ask besides make popups? can it access passwords and stuff.. should i delete my history,cookies,etc.. just in case?
Your one "good software" may not be good enough for a browser hijacker, especially this one. It has gained the name of "Google Redirect Virus" among the internet community, but it's more of a rootkit (of TDSS variant) than a virus. Here's why:
  • It works like a hijacker doubled with trojan. While most viruses would infect your files and then remain active in the background duplicating themselves, this one only change your redirect configurations and security settings then stay hidden, like a ninja.

So your antivirus probably goes: Huh, I thought something weird was happening, but nothing is here; Oh well!

Where is the danger, then? Well, the danger lies in the sites that you are redirected to.

As previously mentioned, all you need to get infected is to visit a website. Done! Plus, now that your security settings are weakened, this process can be done even easier.

These sites that you are redirected to probably contain more aggressive malwares that will infect your computer as soon as you visit them. Even if your antivirus software pick them up, as long as the redirection continues, new threats will continue to come non-stop.

Summary: This rootkit is like browser hijacker bundled with trojan. It changes your redirect configurations and lower your security settings (and possibly disabling firewalls and internet security suites, too) to make easier for the malwares on the redirected sites to infect your computer. In the worst situation, your computer has probably become infected with several types of malwares by now.

Hope I made it clear; sorry for the lengthy explanation . Anyhow, I would definitely recommend you to run Malwarebytes or SUPERAntispyware if your current antivirus software unable to correct this.

In the worst case scenario (when none works), post a Hijackthis log (we're pretty much working with minimal information here, in case you haven't noticed, ; I mean, no offense, but all you've told us is, "Hey, Google is redirecting me randomly. What's happening?")

Last edited by Digilodger; February 18th 2011 at 04:04 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 18th 2011, 05:00 AM

Sometimes popular websites just get overloaded and freak out on it's users. This may be the case with google. I would wait a few days and then try again.
If it helps, I haven't had any problems with it, but I've only used google a few times in the past couple weeks.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 19th 2011, 09:16 PM

I think that's happened to me too!

I was doing google image search yesterday on my desktop (not using it now), and I saw a picture of Tweety Bird that I liked for a project! Well, I clicked on it and the usual image preview comes up...but then I got redirected to this other site that *didn't* have the image!

I tried getting the image several times and it kept doing that! I wonder if that's what it was. My desktop is a Mac though, so how do you run a virus scan on there? If it'd happened on my laptop, Norton would've totally flipped out and say "so and so virus/trojan detected and removed/blocked".

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Wtf is wrong with google?! - February 19th 2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
I think that's happened to me too!

I was doing google image search yesterday on my desktop (not using it now), and I saw a picture of Tweety Bird that I liked for a project! Well, I clicked on it and the usual image preview comes up...but then I got redirected to this other site that *didn't* have the image!

I tried getting the image several times and it kept doing that! I wonder if that's what it was. My desktop is a Mac though, so how do you run a virus scan on there? If it'd happened on my laptop, Norton would've totally flipped out and say "so and so virus/trojan detected and removed/blocked".
That's a a different matter. Your computer is fine.

We are talking about the case like this:
  • You type a search term into Google, such as TeenHelp, and hit Enter.
  • You click on the result, expecting to reach TeenHelp.org
  • But rather than TeenHelp.org, you reach a page full of junks, like full of popups and other types of ads trying to sell you their product, and possibly a few malwares waiting.

This is what happened to you:
  • You did see the preview for a split second, did you not? You are redirected to the full page because that website has special code in it that forcibly redirect you to the main site or page.

This is a trick that some webmasters use to increase their page view; more page views means more money. It's not your computer's problem; it's not Google's problem either. It's the website's webmaster's greediness.

• Also, sometimes when you click on the thumbnail, no image would appear, right? This could be because the webmaster of that website decided to block access the image, the image might have moved, or the webmaster might have changed its name. This happens all the time.

Google indexes images by using a bunch of spiders crawling around the web. It's not uncommon that by the time you view the image, it is no longer there.

Besides, you are on a Mac. You don't have to worry about malwares on a Mac unless you pirate stuffs. Most crackers would rather target something that over 90% of people use, like Windows.

Last edited by Digilodger; February 20th 2011 at 12:30 AM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread