TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Whats the deal with WoW? - February 28th 2011, 09:59 PM

Seriously....

I'm getting fed up of people slagging me off and being complete cunts when I mention I play WoW or they find out.

Yes it's a game, yes people get addicted to this. But people can get addicted to anything, this game has a bad stigma attached to it.

I don't sit in front of it for hours/days on end. I play a couple of hours a day. If that... and even then, I go through phases. Play for two months, then I DONT for a while. I didnt even play over exam time. You know, after I've done the important stuff like Course work.

I'm just getting a bit fed up of people treating me like shit since I happen to play this game.

What do you think? Does the game REALLY deserve that amount of bad press, and am I really a lowlife for playing as its starting to seem that way.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
latifunda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - February 28th 2011, 10:03 PM

People associate WoW players with the geek stereotype due the fact that you have to pay a hefty monthly fee just to play.
Plus the fact that it's for too easy to get addicted, just like with any other computer game.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - February 28th 2011, 10:05 PM

Why tarr everyone with the same brush though.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - February 28th 2011, 10:06 PM

I totally can see why you are frustrated. I saw a youtube video about this lady who was protesting against the video game because of there being demons and such in it. She was supppppper religious. I found it comical. Anyways, I think that might be a reason. I also think that because it IS overhyped, and made into such a big thing, people are going to complain. I know that doesn't really make sense. I have friends play it, and I jokingly give them shit because they play it for hours on end. I think that because so many people are playing it, that that brings a negative affect. Ok, I'm talking in circles. Lol.

I don't think it deserves that bad reputations that people are giving it. It's just a game. And if they are that worked up over a game, then they are just as much to blame as the people playing it. To get worked up over people playing a game is silly. It's obviously the persons choice. I think there are plenty of other things on this earth to get worked up over.

You aren't a lowlife for playing the game. You enjoy it, and that's what counts. You said that you don't play it for hours, and hours everyday. You obviously do other things with your time. I don't think you are a lowlife for playing it for those reasons. :]

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - February 28th 2011, 11:33 PM

I got crap about it from my parents because there are other people from all over the world that you can talk to--aka the potential pedophiles and what not.

From my sisters/friends...I generally got a 'why the he-- do you play' look and attitude, although a few of my guy friends play it too.

I don't think it deserves all the bad press. I think it gets the bad press because of the extreme gamers that sit in front of their computers playing endlessly...especially the horror stories of those that have died, got dehydrated, or forgot to eat. I feel like the extreme measures that people take to be the best in WoW has caused the bad press. Since I played, I can see it being addicting--it is not one of those games that you can hop on for 15 minutes and get off, instead you tend to spend at least an hour to get anywhere. Raids also give bad press because you have your schedule and raids last how many hours?

Anyways, I don't see why people give it bad press-and no I don't think you should think yourself as low life for playing it. It is like any game out there, you can play it for as long as you want. Example-lots of people are addicted to Reach, COD, or Starcraft, yet none of those get the bad press that WoW sees. I actually enjoyed WoW!

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MagicX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 2nd 2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurineth View Post
Seriously....

I'm getting fed up of people slagging me off and being complete cunts when I mention I play WoW or they find out.

Yes it's a game, yes people get addicted to this. But people can get addicted to anything, this game has a bad stigma attached to it.

I don't sit in front of it for hours/days on end. I play a couple of hours a day. If that... and even then, I go through phases. Play for two months, then I DONT for a while. I didnt even play over exam time. You know, after I've done the important stuff like Course work.

I'm just getting a bit fed up of people treating me like shit since I happen to play this game.

What do you think? Does the game REALLY deserve that amount of bad press, and am I really a lowlife for playing as its starting to seem that way.
It's not that MMOs are bad; I mean MMO games can be very enjoyable experiences. However, for quite a few people out there I think that they see MMO games as a generic/boring experience since you tend to grind a whole lot of the time (other than WoW, which has over 12 million subscribers, there really is no other MMO game out there which can compare in the amount of expansion content or subscriber base).

----------------------------------------------------------------
~Fracturedtime~
------------------------------
Deviantart
Tumblr

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 2nd 2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicX View Post
It's not that MMOs are bad; I mean MMO games can be very enjoyable experiences. However, for quite a few people out there I think that they see MMO games as a generic/boring experience since you tend to grind a whole lot of the time (other than WoW, which has over 12 million subscribers, there really is no other MMO game out there which can compare in the amount of expansion content or subscriber base).
Yes you grind a lot but surely that can't be so bad.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
SandArnolds Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 2nd 2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicX View Post
I agree with you about this. I'm a subscriber of MMO also and its pretty cool.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 2nd 2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Why tarr everyone with the same brush though.
that happens in any situation not matter what it is, same thing has happened to me when i used to play Cod
you just really have to brush it off and not really care waht people think

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 2nd 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Seriously....

For me, it has a bad rep. Then again, it's not really justifiable to say that. It's only a good game for those who knows how to manage their time and know when to say "Okay, enough of the game. Back to my real life responsibilities." and not for those who lose all sense of time, literally, whilst playing the game.

I always keep glancing at the clock or my phone every chance I get whilst playing TS2 because it's so easy to get caught up in the game. That's not even an MPO game, besides the fact you can exchange stuff on forums.

Since you do keep track of time and stay very conscious of your responsibilities, I have to say you are not a lowlife.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 5th 2011, 09:03 PM

Meh, that's just the whole 'geek' thing. Let them say whatever, if you're doing something that find fun, then do it and let the world screw itself.

At least, as a long-time geek, that's how I think of things .

I could go on a bit, I remember reading into the whole 'perception of gamers' thing, but it really just boils down to "people are dicks" >.>.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 8th 2011, 03:24 AM

I think we tend to think that people who play WoW take games way too seriously. Like the legendary Leeroy Jenkins video pretty much confirmed people's stereotypes of those games: they talk on microphones, and talk about "oh, I'm going to use my elixir of Garathong because it gives me +30 magic resistance" or something along those lines. And it's also the fact that people pay for such a service. It's like you're paying to get addicted to it, or at least that's what the overgeneralization is. Your wallet is empty, AND you have no life. Many of the popular games have enemies. I think the general population is starting to gear from WoW to Call of Duty: Black Ops. Essentially, both games can become addicting but it's totally okay if it's a "realistic" 1st person shooter and not okay if you just press the left mouse button to do shit.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Whats the deal with WoW? - March 8th 2011, 04:26 AM

I think everyone thinks WoW players are like this kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread