TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Photos :) - March 1st 2011, 05:46 AM

Hey,

I'm hoping to be a professional photographer and I would like a good way to display my photos online to where the layout and set up looks really professional and everything. Any advice?
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Photos :) - March 1st 2011, 06:01 AM

Well, short of building your own site or having someone do it from you (can get expensive) Flickr actually works pretty well if you use it well. I think there's another good one, but it slips my mind currently.

~Cody

Normal User

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Photos :) - March 1st 2011, 09:05 AM

I don't know about professional photography. So in that area, I will not be able to recommend anything. But if you are asking as a hobbyist, then these would be my recommendation:

NOTE: I'm going to double-post to make it easier to read (and to lessen the wall-of-text effect). Hope you don't mind, ; and to the mod, please don't merge them together.

Another Note: All information here were obtained as-of-the-day-I-this-post. I don't know how they will change in the future.

---------------------------

My top recommendation would be one among these four:

Flickr

Free Account: 300 MB of photos of each month, 15 MB limit for each photo, ad-supported, cost $0 USD
Premium Account: No limit on number of photos, 20 MB limit for each photo, no ads, cost $24.95 USD per year.

Copyrights: When upload your photos to Flickr, you enter this non-exclusive license:
See Yahoo's Terms of Service for full version (Flickr is part of Yahoo):
Quote:
With respect to photos [...] you submit [...] the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Yahoo! Services and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content from the Yahoo! Services.
Translation: Yahoo! will give you full control of how you want your photos to be used. (E.g. They won't alter or distribute your photos without your permission.) And this non-exclusive license agreement only exist until you choose to remove your photo from Yahoo.
Comment: Huge community! This is one of the three most popular photo-sharing website on the internet. Even professional bloggers and journalists come here to seek photos for their posts. It has very good search feature where you can sort photos by license and how interesting they are.

DeviantArt

Free Account: Unlimited storage (as long as you don't cripple their server), ad-supported
Premium Account: Access to more contents and features, no ad, cost $29.95 USD per year

Copyrights: When upload your photos to DeviantArt, you enter this non-exclusive license:
See DeviantArt's Terms of Service for full version:
Quote:
For the sole purpose of enabling us to make your Content available through the Service, you grant to deviantART a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, re-format, store, prepare derivative works based on, and publicly display and perform Your Content.
Translation: If you upload your photo to DeviantArt, then it can do whatever it wants with that photo. However, since this license agreement is NON-exclusive, you are free to enter another non-exclusive license elsewhere (e.g. a non-exclusive Creative Common License). Besides, it's unlikely that DeviantArt would care about your photo anyway.
Comment: DeviantArt is a social network for artists--you can make friends here, comment and critics on each other's works, etc. It's a very enjoyable place, especially for young artists. Copyrights, trademarks, and patents rights are taken very seriously here and if you are found submitting others' works, then you either will be ban from the site first or the community will "bang" you first. DeviantArt allows you to watermark your works on here to help prevent thefts. You can also sell your works on here, too, which is a plus!

Smugnug

Free Account: No free account available.
Premium Account: No limit on number of photos, 24 MB limit for each photo, no ads, cost starting from $40 USD per year.

Copyrights: When upload your photos to Smugnug, you enter this non-exclusive license:
See Smugnug's Terms of Service for full version:
Quote:
You retain the copyright in any User Content you post on the Site. SmugMug neither has nor wants any ownership of your Content. However, by uploading and/or posting any User Content to the Site, you grant SmugMug a perpetual, nonexclusive and royalty-free right to use the User Content and the name that is submitted in connection with such User Content, as is reasonably necessary to display the User Content, provide the Services and to facilitate, at Content Owner's direction, the license of Photos or the sale of Products on the Site.
Translation: Smugnug holds the freedom to provide you the photo-hosting service and (if necessary) become the "middle-man" between you and your photo's buyer.
Comment: Maybe a little expensive, but this is one of those cases where you get what you've paid for. Smugnug offers services that you can find no where else, ranging from beautiful gallery themes to making money off your works. For a full list of features, please see the comparison page.

Self-Host (a.k.a. Personal Website)

Advantage: You have full control on almost everything, from the looks, sharing features, to making money methods (e.g. with advertisements, you would make some money when people view the ads a certain number of times, click on the ads, signup for a service, or purchase goods, etc.).
Disadvantage: Requires technical knowledge, you have to have AT LEAST a basic knowledge of a webmaster. Alternatively, if you have a friend who is good with these, you can have him or her help you.

Free gallery softwares (to install on your website): Gallery 3, jAlbum, or Wordpress with plugins; other CMSs would work, too.

Copyrights: Depends on which website-hosting service you choose, but most of the time, you own what you upload.

Comment: I would recommend using this along with Flickr or DeviantArt. If execute successfully, you are benefit in 3 ways: (1) Flickr and/or DeviantArt and those who use your photos act as free advertisements for your website, (2) you will NOT have to pay for your web-hosting service because the income from the ads eventually even out the cost of running a website, (3) and you can have your own domain name (e.g. www.example.com). It's like a free SmugNug.

Later, you can further expand your website by installing a Wordpress blog on it (using software from Wordpress.org). Who knows, maybe eventually you would be able to invest a bit more money and move on to dedicated servers and create a small social network for you and your friends to share photos.

[Continue on next post]

Last edited by Digilodger; March 1st 2011 at 09:52 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Photos :) - March 1st 2011, 09:05 AM

Other options include:

Picasa Web Album

Free Account: 1 GB limit of storage, no ad.
More Storage: Cost starting from $5 USD per year for an extra 20 GB (more info here)

Copyrights: When upload your photos to Picasa, you enter this non-exclusive license:
See Google's Terms of Service for full version (Picasa is part of Google):
Quote:
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services
Translation: If you upload your photo to Picasa, then Google can do whatever it wants with that photo. However, since this license agreement is NON-exclusive, you are free to enter another non-exclusive license elsewhere (e.g. a non-exclusive Creative Common License). Besides, it's unlikely that Google would care about your photo anyway.
Comment: Not too bad for hobby photographers. Picasa is gaining its popularity largely thanks to its counter part, the Picasa Photo Viewer program. A problem with this is that you don't have the community exposure as in Flickr. Plus, $5 USD a year for an extra 20 GB of storage is a pretty good deal.

Facebook

Facebook Photo Sharing: Limits unclear; seems like they are changing their limits every one or two years.

Copyrights: When upload your photos to Facebook, you enter this non-exclusive license:
See Facebook's Terms of Service for full version:
Quote:
For content [...] like photos and videos [...], you [..] grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook [...].
Translation: If you upload your photo to Facebook, then it can do whatever it wants with that photo. However, since this license agreement is NON-exclusive, you are free to enter another non-exclusive license elsewhere (e.g. a non-exclusive Creative Common License). Besides, it's unlikely that Facebook would care about your photo anyway.
Comment: Photo-sharing is only part of Facebook's sub-services. This is more of a place to post photos taken from Friday night's party, rather than a place to post a photo of a dusty twilight. Facebook's focus is social network, not photo hosting.

Other Services:
(I'm NOT recommending these; I just listing them in case you find the above inadequate and interest in something else)

Photobucket.com: If you upload your photos to Photobucket, you grant Photobucket AND its users permission do whatever they want with your photo, unless you set your photos to private-only. This cancels out all CC license (Creative Common license) and any other non-exclusive license agreement that you may have put on your photo. In other words, if you upload your photo to Photobucket and you make it publicly viewable, you have pretty much given up copyright on that photo. (Well, technically no, but they could always say, "Hey, I found that photo on Photobucket," and win the argument.)

Webshots.com: If you upload your photos to Webshot, you grant Webshots, its parent company AG.com, their affiliates and partners permissions to do whatever they want with your photos; but they promised that they will only use your photos according to what you specified. I can't stand Webshot's interface though; it's not organized or clean, and the ads are very intrusive.

Snapixel.com: If you upload your photos to SnapPixel, you grant SnapPixel permission to do whatever it wants with your photos. It's a clone of Flickr with a smaller community and different terms of service. However, it offers more storage: Free account comes with 5 GB of storage and no maximum file size; premium account comes with "unlimited" everything (as long as you don't cripple their server).

ShutterFly.com: If you upload your photos to Shutterfly, you grant Shutterfly permission to do whatever it wants with your photos. Shutterfly is a more of a photo-showcase (show off) service rather than photo-sharing. It focuses on printing and gifting.

Other services:
  • MyPhotoAlbum only allows up to 500 photos for free accounts;
  • ImageShack loads slower than a turtle moving across your room, plus its GUI is outdated;
  • Kodak Gallery and Snapfish forces you to buy something each year else, they'll cancel your account;
  • TinyPic has been acquired by Photobucket and is now sharing the same terms of service.

-------------------------------

Good luck! Sorry if I made some dumb mistakes somewhere like leaving out a word or two, by the way. Too lazy to go back and check anything now

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Photos :) - March 2nd 2011, 03:15 AM

Thank you
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Photos :) - March 2nd 2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
Thank you
Mind if I ask which one you choose? Flickr, DeviantArt, Picasa, Facebook, or personal website?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Photos :) - March 3rd 2011, 04:10 AM

I am going to start off with Flickr and DeviantArt.
Closed Thread