TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I want a new computer - March 2nd 2011, 09:31 PM

I'm currently saving money to buy a new computer (I'm thinking of a desktop this time as it's not like I move my laptop around a lot) The reason I want a new one is I'm going to give my dad my current laptop, the battery is slowly dying and it's not powerful enough to play a lot of games :|

I have Sims 3 but it's painful to play it with this computer it's soooo slow :| if my sims have a big house it's next to impossible :/

It's fine for internet browsing, watching films (even HD), listening to music but after that it gets a bit too slow.

My price range is about -500 I suppose I could save a little bit more money but in a perfect world I'd like to spend less than 500.

What computer would be ideal to play The Sims 3 in high quality? I'd also like it to play HD films

Edit: Oh, and one that wouldn't freeze everytime I'd try to make a video in Windows Movie Maker

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; March 2nd 2011 at 09:39 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: I want a new computer - March 2nd 2011, 11:56 PM

It depends on how well you want Sims 3 to run on your computer. Sims 3 runs great on my computer, but I built my computer for 1,009 euros, or 1,400 US dollars. If you can get someone to build the computer for you for cheap and buy all the parts, you'll save money that way (especially in the long run when you can just replace parts). But if you don't want to do all that, here's just a couple computers that caught my eye.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...HPE500z_series

But that's 100 dollars more than you expected but it seems decent enough to play Sims.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...s&Order=RATING

Newegg is pretty respectable on pricing so you can check out these desktops (however they might not come with a computer screen so just make sure of that). Check newegg, HP has decent computers, haven't had good experiences with Dell.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
latifunda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I want a new computer - March 3rd 2011, 01:20 PM

Why don't you save yourself some money and buy instead instead to buy RAM and a video card?
Unless you have a lot of money lying around, that is.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I want a new computer - March 3rd 2011, 01:33 PM

Actually, I kind of do long story but I have 300 already I have a HP laptop right now I'll admit it has served me well. I don't think I'll ever buy an Acer again though :/ my last laptop was a piece of crap and was an acer.

Plus, I want Windows 7

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: I want a new computer - March 3rd 2011, 08:46 PM

I agree with Brandon, you'll get more power for your buck if it's a custom built.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: I want a new computer - March 5th 2011, 09:08 PM

Hm..thing is, it doesn't entirely matter what brand it is, you have to look at what the specifications of the individual computer are for a better indication of what it can do.
You want something that can play games and run HD videos well, in which case I'd recommend you get something with a decent graphics card. In this case, getting a desktop computer will cost you a lot less.
If you can get something in the 800-1000 range you can get something that will last you for most of a decade, though even with 500-600 you can pretty much get what you need.
Remember, the important numbers when it comes to specs. You need a graphics card with a lot of video memory or VRAM (1GB is good) and at least 4GB system memory, though more is always better.
Also, when it comes to processors, there's not (usually) a simple number you can look at that'll give you an indication of how good it is, it gets a bit complicated there, but try to get one that keeps up with the rest of the components, basically something that falls into that price range.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: I want a new computer - March 8th 2011, 03:16 PM

Just throwing my two cents in here as I'm an avid Sims 3 player myself...

For The Sims 3, processing power, memory and graphics power are important. If you're going to build a pc or have it built, make sure the processor inside runs at at least 2.2GHz, preferably more than that. Quad cores are overkill, the game doesn't utilize the cores anyways, it only uses 1. There are plenty of quick Dual Cores and their prices are only going to drop more and more.

As for graphics, there basically are two choices. ATI and nVidia. Personally, I've always had ATI cards and they never let me down, so I can't advise you on nVidia's cards. As far as graphics memory (GDDR), 512MB is enough for The Sims 3, 1GB is more than enough, but becoming the standard quickly. As far as the ATI Radeon HD range goes, any card above and including the 5670 will do the trick.

Memory wise (RAM) 2GB is the bottom line, 3GB is technically enough, but 4GB is more and more common nowadays. More never hurts.

Whenever you've found something or whenever you've put one together online, feel free to run it by us here for advice/opinions.

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

Closed Thread