TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

New laptop - March 7th 2011, 12:38 AM

Okay, so I'm getting a new laptop, since I broke my old one, but I don't know what kind yet. I have four choices; toshiba, samsung, HP, and acer. I'm leaning toward the acer, but idk, so what do you guys think? Oh and the acer I can get is a 4GB instead of 3.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: New laptop - March 8th 2011, 02:49 PM

First of all, what are you going to use the laptop for? Is it browsing the web, creating music or rendering graphics and 3D objects, or 'photoshopping' images?

And secondly, what is your budget?

If you answer those two, we can find one that will suit you.

Brands wise, I've heard Acer has bad support, Toshiba is pretty good, HP has always been good quality wise and support wise and Samsung... I don't know.

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: New laptop - March 8th 2011, 08:25 PM

I need something for school, and I have a $500 budget.

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: New laptop - March 8th 2011, 08:35 PM

I would recommend a laptop with specifications that are close/similar to this one from HP:

HP G62 series:
http://goo.gl/ZQt58

This one is currently $499, as far as I could see.

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: New laptop - March 8th 2011, 08:44 PM

Never buy an HP. Maybe I'm being biased, but I despise HP on every means. I've never owned one, but every single person I know who does has had some problem with it. Best Buy associates even admit that they see more people come in with problems from HP than any other system.

We have a Toshiba laptop, but it's really old. I can't speak much for newer Toshiba laptops.

Out of your choices, I would go with the Acer. I've never heard anything bad about Acer.

Honestly, any computer under $500 isn't going to last long, but I would look into Gateway. I love Gateway, though many don't. The tech support may not be great, but I've never had a problem that required tech support, and my desktop at home is 4 years old.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...oops&cp=1&lp=6

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Last edited by Dark-and-Twisty; March 8th 2011 at 08:49 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: New laptop - March 9th 2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the advice and things to think about. I've heard bad things about HP, and good things about acer and toshiba, so I might go with one of those. I might just look at what each computer has to offer and go by that to make my final decission. Thanks again.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: New laptop - March 9th 2011, 10:07 PM

If you wish to buy online, then you might as well look into good deals.

Amazon.com and Neweggs.com are pretty good places to look into if you need to buy one fast.

Deal-hunting sites like SlickDeals, Dealzon, and DealNews offer pretty good laptop deals sometimes (occasionally you can find over 30% off deals, which are pretty good).

Also, if you are a college or university student, ask for student discounts.

For today, this is a good laptop deal:
A Dell Inspiron 14R, with Intel Core i3, Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 14.0" Display and 500GB Hard Drive for $450 USD (FREE shipping, price rounded from $499.99).

Link (scroll down to see): http://dealzon.com/deals/dell-inspiron-14-laptop

Original price: $784 USD (rounded from $783.99 USD)
Dell is selling it at: $500 USD (rounded from $499.99, that's $284 USD off)

For $50 USD more off (making it $344 USD off), use coupon code: 0CQ6F64K$ZCPV$
This is a 43% off total (after applied the coupon code).

Unknown expire date (it's still available as of today, March 09, 2011), so ACT FAST!

If you want cheap yet good computers, be patient and hunt for great deals! You would get A LOT more out of your money than just blindly buy anything that you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
Never buy an HP. Maybe I'm being biased, but I despise HP on every means. I've never owned one, but every single person I know who does has had some problem with it. Best Buy associates even admit that they see more people come in with problems from HP than any other system.

Out of your choices, I would go with the Acer. I've never heard anything bad about Acer.

Honestly, any computer under $500 isn't going to last long, but I would look into Gateway. I love Gateway, though many don't. The tech support may not be great, but I've never had a problem that required tech support, and my desktop at home is 4 years old.
I didn't plan to post in this thread but reading this I have trouble holding back.

Yes, you are biased, as you have admitted. On my 4-year-old Acer desktop, I had to fix one of the USB ports; on my brother's 5-year-old eMachine desktop, I had to replace the power supply. My parents' 2-year-old Dell desktop hasn't encounters any problem yet, but I am expecting one in a few more years; my 1-year-old Dell laptop also has no problem yet.

You have to realize that those companies put together the computer using parts from their suppliers. If you would take a look at HP's Supplier list, you would find that many of which also supplies parts for other companies like Acer, Dell, Asus, etc.

Also, Google search for "Acer sucks," "Dell sucks," "Gateway sucks," "Toshiba sucks," "*InsertNameHere* sucks" (without the quotes and the coma) and see for yourself. People out there are bashing every single company; you just happen to hear about HP. Uh, hello!!! Why aren't you guys bashing the suppliers instead?

Plus, price doesn't determine how long your laptop will last. It's how you use it. Not a single one of my entire family's computers are over $400 USDs; even my laptop, the most expensive of the 4, costs only about $380 USD. All of them has lasted fairly long without running into any unfixable problems.

If you NEVER clean your computer regularly (by "clean," I mean cleaning the outside, then open it up and clean the inside, too), then don't expect it to last long. If you let your computer components overheat, then don't expect it last long either. If you don't treat it gently, then don't expect it to last long either. If you don't manage what software you install and uninstall, which software you run and which you don't, etc., then don't expect it to last long either.

Anyway, point is . . . stop blaming users' ignorance on the company.

Last edited by Digilodger; March 9th 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Closed Thread