TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Unhappy Help with iPod Touch! - March 12th 2011, 05:57 PM

I don't know what to do, earlier this morning, I accidentally dropped my iPod in water and now it's screen isn't working right, I've turned it off and have it sitting next to the vent of my computer for heat, anyone know of anything else I can do or if it's even fixable? The outside of it appears to be pretty dry but I'm not sure about inside it or anything and it's volume and sound have come back to normal while sitting there.
Thanks to anyone who replies.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 12th 2011, 07:07 PM

I know lots of people say to put electrical things into a bowl of rice and that is supposed to soak up any liquids however it doesnt always work, I guess its worth a try though. Other than that all I can think of is taking it to someone professional to fix it... If you can, try and find somewhere not officially apple cos it will probably be cheaper. Apple will probably charge you quite a lot as its water damage and technically your own fault... to give you an idea, just to replace the screen on mine I was told they would charge me 82 so Im guessing whatever you would need doing would be more than that. To be honest though, Im not sure that it is fixable; water damage quite often does irreversible damage.

PM // VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 12th 2011, 07:24 PM

Rice really works. It will dry up the water. It will take a day or two but your ipod should work, but the screen may be a little messed up just to warn you.
I jumped in a pool with my cell phone last year and didn't notice for around 5 minutes. I didn't do the rice trick, I just left it out on the table and it started working in 3 days but some colors on the screen were a little warped.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 13th 2011, 02:21 PM

Let it properly dry for what seems like ages, to prevent short-circuiting the thing. Put it on the heater, behind your computer, anything warm should do, except hot water of course!

Good luck, I hope you can fix it... I once dropped water on my iPhone, I turned it off, put it on the radiator/central heater thingy and let it dry there for about 12 hours before turning it on again. It worked perfectly and still works perfectly, my significant other uses it now...

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 13th 2011, 02:24 PM

Put it in Rice. That's what happened to my mum's old phone..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cypher Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 13th 2011, 03:25 PM

The rice isn't a bad idea. The most important thing you can do is wait until it is completely dry. (at least a full day before turning it back on) Turning it on while it still has water in it could damage it.

The only other thing I would suggest, is that you try to reset it. Hold down the home and power buttons at the same time until you see the apple logo. If this doesn't work, try doing it while the iPod is plugged into a power adapter. (Not a computer, because it will try to sync.)

Good Luck,

Cypher

(#7 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 13th 2011, 07:55 PM

I had dropped my phone in water and here is what you should do:
fill a sealable container with rice, put your iPod in (do not have it turned on or anything plugged in), seal the container (should be an airtight container), leave it for about a week. DO NOT turn it on or attempt to in the mean time, this can cause it to short circuit.

Water damage is always something that is hard to deal with because it is not easily fixed/sometimes there is no way to fix it. If your iPod does not turn on/work after a week, it is probably damaged.

I read how you are NOT supposed to put an electronic that got wet with heat-such as a hair dryer. This is because it can melt/warp parts of the electronic. So...no more heat for now!

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Help with iPod Touch! - March 13th 2011, 09:25 PM

Once I spilled milk on my phone, and it wouldn't turn on. I soaked it in rice for several hours, and sure enough, it did the trick. (:

I hadn't heard about soaking it in rice until my roommate suggested it.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Closed Thread