TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 17th 2011, 10:00 PM

What is your opinion on IE9 (Internet Explorer 9) so far?

In case you have been living in a cave for the last few days, Microsoft has officially released the stable version of Internet Explorer 9 on March 14, 2011. And within 24 hours, it has reached over 2 millions downloads.

If you are interested but haven't yet install IE9, you can get it from here; if that doesn't work,use this link instead.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Sure, IE has given us--especially website designers--quite a bit of frustration. The stigma of IE6 still carry on even today, the year 2011. But Microsoft has promised us a lot with IE9, and they didn't lie this time. Leaving all the stigmas behind and looking at IE9 without any pre-judge, it really is leaps and bounds over the previous versions--including IE7 and IE8.

If you are an IE user, then I would definitely recommend you to upgrade to IE9.

Oh, by the way, for all Firefox users, Firefox 4 stable is schedule to be released on March 22, 2011. Don't forget! In the mean time, you can get yourself used to the new UI by trying out the release candidate; by now, it should be about as stable as the final version would be.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyhow, an OP need to contribute to his/her own thread. Here is my opinion on IE9, after 4 days of testing:

New interface saves a lot of verticle space --- Following Chrome, IE9 merged the address bar and the search bar together. IE9 went one step further and merge the tab row together with the new address bar, making it about as verticle-pixel friendly as Chrome. Click here for screenshot.

Since I navigate around primarily with keyboard shortcuts, clogging a bunch of tabs into small space won't bother me. Besides, the address bar is resizable (simply by dragging). I wish Chrome has this option as well; my monitors are widescreen so I always find it lacking in the verticle space. Imagine if Chrome merges its address bar and buttons row with its tab row, that would be awesome!

New Start page, new download-management window, new add-on performance advisor, new support for application shortcuts --- The new start page lists your most visited website (like Opera's Speed Dial, Firefox's Fast Dial, Chrome's new tab, Safari's Top Sites); it's like a clone of Chrome's new tab page, but without the bookmarks. The new download-mangement popup window is like one in Firefox and Safari, though Opera and Chrome open them in new tabs. Add-on performance advisor is basically a stripped down version of Chrome's built-in task manager. The only "truely new" thing here is the application shortcuts.

About 98% of what is "new" in IE9 has already been implemented by other web browsers. This disappointed me a little, to be honest. However, the application shortcuts is rather interesting. Yes, I know that Chrome already has similar feature with their webapps, but IE9 took it a step further. You can now pin webservices like Facebook, Twitter, and Pandora to the taskbar, complete with jumplist support (which is the new thing here).

Built-in Adblocker --- Well, kind of. IE9's Tracking Protection List can function similarly to Adblock Plus of Firefox and Chrome, and you can use it as an adblock by installing Quero Adblock TPL.

It seems interesting and got me excited at first, but disappointment comes within minites later. Even though Quero TPL is based off Easylist, IE9's adblocking ability is still at the bottom of the barrel; it was not mean to use as an adblocker. In fact, sometimes it would block all avatars in some forums or comment, yet leave the huge banner at the top intact . I hope to see major improvement in teh future though, like with Google Chrome's early days.

Web development: Standards, performance, CSS3, and HTML5 supports --- Now we're getting into the fun stuffs. IE is almost caught up to today's web development standards--almost. For a full list of what it supported, go here.

In November of last year, I managed to get my hand on a detail report of user statistics of a popular service. Due to legal matters, I can't reveal the number here; but I was stunned at how many people still use the ancient IE6. It was absurd! I couldn't believe what I saw and had to try to confirm it with a few other trusted sources--even then, part of me still disbelieved it.

If you are still using Internet Explorer 6, please, please, please update to the latest version as soon as possible.

The problem remains that even the latest version of IE is still behind the time and, to make the matter worse, many of its users refuse to upgrade. Web designers will forever have trouble with IE unless Microsoft finds a way to keep up--and force its users to keep up--with the constantly advancing technology.

Back in the IE7 and IE8 days, we have to account for IE6's "incapabilities." Now with IE9 in the picture, I believe it is safe to assume that many more web developers and designers will drop support for IE6, regardless of its userbase (I mean, seriously, it's over a decade old already). However, it would only mean that they would have account for IE7 and IE8's incapabilities. And 10 years from now, when IE12 is just around the corner, IE9 would be the new IE6 (if you catch my drift).

IE9 definitely improved on web standards, scoring 95/100 on the Acid3 test. Many more CSS3 properties and HTML5 supports were added. Still, for some unknown reasons, some common elements--the becoming-more-common elements are still not supported.

For example, in CSS3, IE9 now officially support opacity, which is something that previously we had to use filters to bypass.
For example:
Code:
-ms-filter:"progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=50)";
So to put that in practice:
Code:
IMG {
border: none; 
-moz-opacity: 0.5; 
-webkit-opacity: 0.5; 
-ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=50)"; 
filter: alpha(opacity=50); 
opacity: 0.5; 
}
With IE9, that is no long necessary. Woohoo!!! However, text-shadow, an element that is used in many Wordpress themes nowadays, is still not officially supported. Where's the logic in that? We still have to use filters if we want to have text shadow in IE. Besides, because IE7 and IE8 still exist, we still have to use filters nontheless,

Anyhow, it's getting long so I'll stop here. Once again, For a full list of what it supported, go here.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot:

Still no spell checker --- This makes IE the only major web browser as of today to not have a built-in spell checker.

Need I say more? I mean, seriously? How hard would it be to implement a spell checker into IE? They are definitely doing it on purpose, but I have no idea what their purpose of not including a built-in spell checker is. Maybe getting people to buy their Office products? I am typing this entire post on IE right now and I wonder who many spelling errors I have made so far, .

P.S. This post was made entirely in IE9. I wonder if everything is good.

Edit 1: @TeenHelp: What on earth is wrong with the WYSIWYG editor? It keeps automatically adding extra tags.

Edit 2: @TeenHelp: Hmm, is the WYSIWYG compatible with IE? Even the color tags are mess up, too. I think I will have to switch back to another browser to fix the BBCodes in this post.

Edit 3:: Had to use Notepad++ to Find-&-Replace (a lot quicker than going through and manually do it). @Everyone: Eh, if you use a lot of BBCodes in your post on TeenHelp, try to use something else besides IE for now. Seems like there's some bugs.

Last edited by Digilodger; March 18th 2011 at 05:47 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 18th 2011, 03:07 AM

People still use IE?

lolwut

I think it took me like 6 months to upgrade to IE 8. And I'll admit, I like IE8 much better than IE 7. And of course my new laptop came with IE 8. Though, I use IE sparingly.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 18th 2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
People still use IE?

lolwut

I think it took me like 6 months to upgrade to IE 8. And I'll admit, I like IE8 much better than IE 7. And of course my new laptop came with IE 8. Though, I use IE sparingly.
According to StatCounter, W3Counter, and Wikipedia's tracked browser-usage statistics, the spectrum goes like this: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, others. And apparently about half of internet users still use IE.

What about IE9 though? You would upgrade in another 6 months?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 18th 2011, 03:49 PM

Actually I really like it. After reading this thread last night I went out and downloaded it. I was a firefox user but I had issues with it so I'm going to change back to IE. Seeing as I'm running windows 7 it goes hand in hand with it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 18th 2011, 06:52 PM

Is it better than Google Chrome?
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 18th 2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
Is it better than Google Chrome?
Nah, if you are a Chrome user and like it, then stick it with it. No need to switch.

Well, from a user's point of view:

Speed isn't a problem in fast connection since we won't be able to notice anyway. But compared to Chrome, IE9 lacks extensibility--it has very few extensions and add-ons compared to Chrome; plus, Chrome has the new web-apps store. You can't customize IE9 with different themes like in Chrome either.

IE9's support for CSS3 and HTML5 elements are still slightly behind, no spell checker, primitive element blocker compared to all other major web browser, etc. Many more to list.

At the recent Pwn2Own competition (it's a hacker competition, took place about a week ago), both Internet Explorer 8 and Safari 5 fell on day 1 (I believe it took like 5 seconds for Safari to fall). Chrome and Firefox emerged unharmed. However, to be fair, we have to note that Chrome did released a patch that fixed about at least 24 security flaws right before the competition while the IE did nothing. Also, it did took the hacker some effort to escape Internet Explorer's Protected Mode sandbox.

Last but not least, writing a post with the stupid WYSIWYG editor on this board from IE9 is pure frustration.

Basically, the ONLY thing that you would get from IE9 and not from Chrome is the application shortcut feature where you can now pin webservices like Facebook, Twitter, and Pandora to the taskbar, complete with jumplist support. Chrome does have an application shortcut feature, but it fails to integrate as deep into Windows as IE9 (for obvious reasons).

Still, for those who are using an older version of IE, definitely upgrade. IE9 is leaps and bounds better than the past versions. And it's time let IE6 goes extinct.

Last edited by Digilodger; March 18th 2011 at 07:14 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 21st 2011, 09:58 AM

As someone who's been a Firefox fan since well before version 1.0, I'm

a) too set in my ways to change now and
b) if I were to change, it'd be to opera or chrome, not to IE >.>.

And ooh, I didn't realise that Firefox 4 was tomorrow. Win xD.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 21st 2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Odinson View Post
As someone who's been a Firefox fan since well before version 1.0, I'm

a) too set in my ways to change now and
b) if I were to change, it'd be to opera or chrome, not to IE >.>.

And ooh, I didn't realise that Firefox 4 was tomorrow. Win xD.
I still prefer Firefox and Chrome over IE, too. This is more because of their extensibility than anything else.

However, if IE9 adds more extensibility and become capable of withstanding Pwn2Own competition (a hacker's competition) unscratched like Firefox and Chrome did recently, then I might actually consider using IE9 as my primary web browser.

By the way, as of March 21, 2011, Firefox 4 is available on Mozilla's FTP servers. You can go grab it now . Or, if you are in no hurry, you would have to wait for one more day, .

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 22nd 2011, 02:02 AM

To be honest I like firefox, but I also like to change it up once ina while. I've been useing IE9 for the past week or so and its great. Honeslty I haven't got any bad things to say about it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 22nd 2011, 06:09 PM

Internet Exploerer has always taken up too much computer memory for my liking. Always taken ages to load etc.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 22nd 2011, 07:29 PM

I've been a fan of FireFox for a while although at campus they're starting up with IE9 and probably FireFox4. Some computers, mainly macs use Safari (I assume it's a Mac-only thing) and at my high-school, the IT guy was all about Safari. I'm not sure if it was because of the servers or Safari itself but so often it would crap out while FireFox didn't so I stuck with FireFox. At home I have both because my parents like IE more than FireFox.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 22nd 2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I've been a fan of FireFox for a while although at campus they're starting up with IE9 and probably FireFox4. Some computers, mainly macs use Safari (I assume it's a Mac-only thing) and at my high-school, the IT guy was all about Safari. I'm not sure if it was because of the servers or Safari itself but so often it would crap out while FireFox didn't so I stuck with FireFox. At home I have both because my parents like IE more than FireFox.
At the recent Pwn2Own 2011 competition (it's a hacker's competition, search for it if anyone doesn't know), Safari 5 fell after five seconds on the first day. And the developers of Safari 5 attempted to fix a bunch of security flaws right before the competition, too. I wouldn't use it, .

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sweeneytodd Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 23rd 2011, 05:07 AM

I heard about it. Since I use Firefox and Chrome I wont bother updating it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How do You Like Internet Explorer 9 so Far? - March 25th 2011, 04:26 AM

I think IE9 is definitely an improvement over IE8, I don't like that by default the tab bar is on the same level as the address bar, feels so awkward. But all I had to do was adjust the settings. I think bugs still need to be worked out regarding interaction with the Office suite, I've noticed that in Outlook 2010 that emails take a bit longer to load after the upgrade. Also I had to reinstall Flash and Adobe Reader because they weren't working right afterwards, and there is still difficulty with viewing PDFs. At least the most major bug with IE8, the back-foward buttons randomly not working, is no longer a problem, shame it took so long to "fix it".
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
Closed Thread