TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ramon

Exclamation Internet keeps disconnecting - March 18th 2011, 02:26 PM

Hello, I've been having a problem with my internet. It keeps disconnecting randomly, its been happening ever since we've had internet(years). We've had 3 different cable modems since then, and 3 different computers. So I don't know what the problem is. I've replaced all the cables many times. The modem just loses connection and won't reconnect unless I reset it. It happens randomly not when I go to a certain site or server. I called our ISP
(Cox) and they said everything is fine.

And yesterday we upgraded our internet AND got a new modem, I hoped that would solve the problem but of course it didn't.

Any solutions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 18th 2011, 05:59 PM

Let's try to summarize all info that we have:
  1. It's not a modem problem because you just got a new modem and the problem remains.
  2. It's not a computer problem because it happens to all three of your computers.
  3. It happens randomly regardless of whether you visit a website or not.

Hmm . . . are you going wired or wireless? Are you using a router? Do you get disconnect when someone is on the phone?

If you are connecting via wireless connection, then try changing the channel. Sometimes if your router or modem's channel is the SAME as your phone, they would interfere with each other--and the phone will always win

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 18th 2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidZN View Post
Let's try to summarize all info that we have:
  1. It's not a modem problem because you just got a new modem and the problem remains.
  2. It's not a computer problem because it happens to all three of your computers.
  3. It happens randomly regardless of whether you visit a website or not.

Hmm . . . are you going wired or wireless? Are you using a router? Do you get disconnect when someone is on the phone?

If you are connecting via wireless connection, then try changing the channel. Sometimes if your router or modem's channel is the SAME as your phone, they would interfere with each other--and the phone will always win
I do use a wireless router but my computer is connected with a Ethernet cord. I doubt the phone is interfering because it doesn't lose connection when someones on the phone

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 18th 2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestboundPuppet View Post
I do use a wireless router but my computer is connected with a Ethernet cord. I doubt the phone is interfering because it doesn't lose connection when someones on the phone
So your connection does go through a router, right?

When it disconnects, what lights on the modem and the router are still on? Could you please list them here?

Also, how many computer do you have in your home? Three?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 19th 2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

So your connection does go through a router, right?

When it disconnects, what lights on the modem and the router are still on? Could you please list them here?

Also, how many computer do you have in your home? Three?
Well only the modem is effected, all the lights on the router stay on.
The modem however, sometimes it resets entirely, and sometimes the cable light starts blinking, and usually won't get the connection back unless i reset the modem and router. As of now we have a computer and a laptop(other comp broke).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 20th 2011, 09:34 PM

I had this same issue. If you have a wireless network its possible others are connecting to your internet and crashing your system. This can be fixed by simply password protecting your wireless network. I had the same issue and found out my neighbour was connecting from across the street. After contacting my internet provider I was given this information and they set me up with a password.

Also if youíre running multiple computers through one router and it isnít very powerful its likely you are crashing it with games, downloads and overloading its maximum usage, in this case you need to upgrade your internet plan per month and buy a better router/modem. I hope your able to get this sorted out I know how annying it can get.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 21st 2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Well only the modem is effected, all the lights on the router stay on.
The modem however, sometimes it resets entirely, and sometimes the cable light starts blinking, and usually won't get the connection back unless i reset the modem and router. As of now we have a computer and a laptop(other comp broke).
Hmm . . . there's no way all the lights on the router could be on if the modem stop working. When the modem encounters a problem and stop working, at least the internet light on the router would be off.

Have to ask more questions then: Does your modem connects to a phone line? If yes, do you have a home phone? If yes, too, then do you hear static noises on the phone?

As for Ryan1's suggestion, I highly doubt anyone today would set up a home wifi without setting up a WPA2 encryption with it.

Also about the overloading modem problem, I doubt that this is the case, too, because you have 2 computers--even 5 would be fine. It's not like you are setting up an entire server.

Last edited by Digilodger; March 21st 2011 at 01:47 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 21st 2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Hmm . . . there's no way all the lights on the router could be on if the modem stop working. When the modem encounters a problem and stop working, at least the internet light on the router would be off.

Have to ask more questions then: Does your modem connects to a phone line? If yes, do you have a home phone? If yes, too, then do you hear static noises on the phone?

As for Ryan1's suggestion, I highly doubt anyone today would set up a home wifi without setting up a WPA2 encryption with it.

Also about the overloading modem problem, I doubt that this is the case, too, because you have 2 computers--even 5 would be fine. It's not like you are setting up an entire server.
No the modem isn't connected to a phone line, and I do have a password

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 23rd 2011, 03:07 PM

I think I found the problem. I use a cable splitter to get TV and internet, and after getting a new splitter the connection hasn't dropped me at all. Thanks for trying to help though, everyone

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Honey Badger Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandon

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting - March 24th 2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I think I found the problem. I use a cable splitter to get TV and internet, and after getting a new splitter the connection hasn't dropped me at all. Thanks for trying to help though, everyone
Splitters are known for causing problems, especially if they are PoE, or Power over Ethernet. Ask your ISP if your splitter is powered, and if it is, if it's PoE powered. If this is the case, you're screwed, they just burn themselves up. A lot.

Closed Thread