TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

'ClickPotato' - March 18th 2011, 02:46 PM

My mum downloaded something and this 'ClickPotato' was added to it. I tried to remove it and it said that I needed permission to do it, my mum tried it on the other user account and the same thing happened. I went into my computer > HP > program files and tried to delete it that way but again, it said I needed permission. A computer scan has bought up nothing.

So, how do I get rid of it? It's not on my computer but my mums and she's said that it's gone all slow since. She googled it and there was a guide on how to remove it but I'm not good with the computer stuff and there is programs to download to apparently fix it but none of them seem legit, you know? Is there any decent programs to download to remove it or easy guides to follow?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: 'ClickPotato' - March 18th 2011, 06:22 PM

It would be very helpful if you provide us with some basic info like what OS and what web browser she has on computer, what antimalware program she has on her computer, etc. You know, basic info.

In fact, a detail log like a Hijackthis log would be very, very, very helpful. But, anyhow . . .

Both Windows Defender (built-in to your system) and Windows Live Essential (Microsoft's free antivirus program; it's not the "best," but it's good enough for most windows users) should be able to solve your problem.

MalwareBytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntispyware are also capable of automatically removing it from your system.

Take your pick. It's just an annoying adware; shouldn't be too hard to remove. In fact, I believe every single reputable antimalware programs out there is capable of removing it. I would recommend you to use SUPERAntispyware in this case and keep it on her computer for future use (I think it's safe to assume that she would get another one within a few months) , make sure to update it before running it though.

Also, if you current antivirus program sucks, I would recommend you to replace it with another one. SOme free antivirus programs like Avira, Avast, Microsoft Security Essential are "good enough" options. Or, if you have a lot of money laying around, good paid options include Kaspersky, G-Data, F-Secure, Symantec, and ESET NOD32 are some solid choices.

As for the permission problem, log into your system with as an administrator. That should solve that problem. If not, simply take ownership of the files that you want to delete; that should force Windows to let you do whatever you want.

AFTER it has been removed:
  • Keep her computer up-to-date. (If she is using Internet Explorer, make sure to update it to the latest version possible, too. For WIndows XP, it's Internet Explorer 8; for WIndows Vista and Windows 7, it's Internet Explorer 9)
  • Keep her firewall on
  • Keep a good antimalware program running; install a second antimalware program if you feel like you need to (just don't run both of them at once).
  • Scan her computer periodically with your antimalware program.
  • Last but not least, tell your mother to STOP clicking and downloading everything she sees.

Last edited by Digilodger; March 18th 2011 at 06:36 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: 'ClickPotato' - March 18th 2011, 06:40 PM

The problem has been solved now. She's taken it to a store to be repaired, after I made this thread annoyingly enough but thanks for your reply and I'll make sure she does everything you said to do after it's gone. :]

Closed Thread