TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Exclamation FALSE ALARM - March 30th 2011, 07:37 PM

Once in a while, some big corporations decide to be "funny" with their products, only to be shunned by the public. You know, like six years ago (in 2005), Sony tried to be funny: It shipped CDs containing rootkits that would automatically install themselves on users' computers and make those computers vulnerable to malware. [Read more about it here.]

This time, it's Samsung. According to recent news, Samsung has secretly preinstall keyloggers into their new laptops to "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used."
[The supervisor] confirmed that yes, Samsung did knowingly put this software on the laptop to, as he put it, "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used."
Source: NetworkWorld via Gizmodo and CrunchGear.
Note: If you are too lazy to read the long version, click on Gizmodo; it has a shorter version.
I don't know about you but this definitely will not go well among most computer users. Even if Samsung has no malicious intention, if the information collected by the keylogger were to fall into the wrong hands, then the result would be devastating.

If Samsung fails to satisfactory answer the public's questions on this matter, then we can safely assume that a class-action lawsuit is on its way. Plus, Samsung would also lose thousands of customers once the news spread. (And it's already spreading pretty fast in the tech world .)

We still need to wait for updated information on this news, of course, particularly an official response from Samsung's higher-ups. But for now, just to be safe, if you have a Samsung laptop--or any Samsung product at all--go check for keyloggers.

And of course, if you are going to buy a computer, then it is advised to STAY AWAY from Samsung for now, unless you got pretty good deals on it,

Keyloggers are programs that secretly monitor your keystrokes. Everything you type (including your usernames, passwords, cyber-sex exchanges, etc.) will be "logged" and send to the owner of the keylogger (in this case, Samsung).

You can scan your computer with your antimalware program and hope it finds the keylogger, or you can format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. In this case only, you can also manually remove files associated with the keylogger in C:\Windows\SL directory. Good luck!

UPDATE: This was a FALSE ALARM.

Today, March 31, 2011, GFI Labs, the maker of VIPRE, has admitted that it was their fault.

StarLogger, the keylogger in question, usually installs itself in %Windir%\SL\ folder (which translates into C:\Windows\SL\ for most average users). GFI Labs apparently set VIPRE to assume that if that folder exists, then StarLogger must be in there.

Well, this time, SL did not mean StarLogger; it means Slovenian (as in, the Slovenian language)

Sources: GFI Labs Blog and SamsungTomorrow via NetworkWorld.

Sorry for everyone who have been affected by this and thank you for your understandings.

P.S. I've also requested the tech-forum mod to modify my first post and the title of this thread to include this update.

Last edited by Power Cosmic; April 1st 2011 at 02:19 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Samsung Laptop Owners, Run a Keylogger Scan on your Computer NOW! - March 30th 2011, 08:04 PM

I just bought a laptop Samsung on Sunday...fml
Why the hell would they install keyloggers?
I have the Norton and it didn't find anything.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: TJ

Re: Samsung Laptop Owners, Run a Keylogger Scan on your Computer NOW! - March 30th 2011, 09:04 PM

Chances are all it does it count key strokes, and chances are. It IS mentioned in the EULA that you click agree to once you get the laptop running, or it's in the EULA contained in the box which you agree to once it's open. IT says if you do not agree to it, to package it back up and contact samsung for a refund.

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  Send a message via AIM to TJ- Send a message via MSN to TJ-  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Samsung Laptop Owners, Run a Keylogger Scan on your Computer NOW! - March 30th 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
I just bought a laptop Samsung on Sunday...fml
Why the hell would they install keyloggers?
I have the Norton and it didn't find anything.
Well, a supervisor confirmed that Samsung installed it to "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used." We still need to wait for responses from the higher-ups to know for sure though.

If you have C:\Windows\SL folder, then you probably have that keylogger installed (SL = StarLogger, which is the keylogger's name, in this case).

Finding that folder is simple.
You can go to Computer --> C: Drive --> Windows --> Look for a folder name SL

Or you can hold down Windows key and hit "R" to activate Run. Then type in "%Windir%\SL" (without the quotes, you can copy and paste it from here, too) and hit Enter. If it says, "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\SL" or something along that line, then you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
Chances are all it does it count key strokes, and chances are. It IS mentioned in the EULA that you click agree to once you get the laptop running, or it's in the EULA contained in the box which you agree to once it's open. IT says if you do not agree to it, to package it back up and contact samsung for a refund.
1. That's way too many chances for our own comfort, and

2. Like I said, we don't know for sure yet until the higher-ups from Samsung decide to reply. They have had over a week already and still no response yet. So in my opinion, a safe path is just to stay away from Samsung until then,

3. It's also possible that chances are some guy in Samsung just had a dumb moment and decided that it'd be fun to do this. Sony BMG has to pay over $500 million USD as compensation six years ago because of a similar case, too. Back then, eWeek even awarded Sony a Stupid Tech Trick grand prize, .

Last edited by Digilodger; March 30th 2011 at 09:27 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Samsung Laptop Owners, Run a Keylogger Scan on your Computer NOW! - March 31st 2011, 12:15 AM

Samsung has joined ASUS on my blacklist. Thanks for the post.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Samsung Laptop Owners, Run a Keylogger Scan on your Computer NOW! - April 1st 2011, 12:38 AM

UPDATE: This was a FALSE ALARM.

Today, March 31, 2011, GFI Labs, the maker of VIPRE, has admitted that it was their fault.

StarLogger, the keylogger in question, usually installs itself in %Windir%\SL\ folder (which translates into C:\Windows\SL\ for most average users). GFI Labs apparently set VIPRE to assume that if that folder exists, then StarLogger must be in there.

Well, this time, SL did not mean StarLogger; it means Slovenian (as in, the Slovenian language)

Sources: GFI Labs Blog and SamsungTomorrow via NetworkWorld.

Sorry for everyone who have been affected by this and thank you for your understandings.

P.S. I've also requested the tech-forum mod to modify my first post and the title of this thread to include this update.

Closed Thread