TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 2nd 2011, 02:09 PM

This... is one the THE MOST ANNOYING PROBLEMS IVE EVER HAD ON MY LAPTOP.

If you use firefox, you can install an additional (legal) plugin, which allows you to download almost any video, including copyrighted music videos that run on the VIVO chanels for most artists.

So I've been doing that today, I wana come up with a decent playlist of music videos, 'cos it's my friends birthday in about a week and he asked me to.

The plugin downloaded them into the download folder. GREAT! It worked. But now, it won't let me either move the files, by cutting and pasting, or delete them. It's ridiculous. There are some other random vids that I've also downloaded, they are all in .mp4 format. I can't move ANY of them ANYWHERE. They are ROOTED.

When I try to move the file a pop-up window tells me that the file is in use, and so I can't move it. IT'S NOT IN USE. I have restarted the computer, normally and in safe mode, terminated almost every task it would allow me to in task manager... and the problem persists.

When I try to delete it, a window telling me "Destination Folder Access Denied", with three options; Continue (with a security badge next to it), Skip, and Cancel. It flicks through the usualy "are you sure" garbage, then tells me "You need permission to perform this action".

Worth mentioning I had a "Trojan.Win32.Agent.czkv" virus that leaked through some website on my PC. I've been fighting it with Kaspersky and Avira virus software and sever others I've got my hands on. Also reported it to an online forum called "GeeksToGo!" that deals with these kind of problems voluntarily. Perhaps that's affecting it? But... I had this problem few days before I even had the virus. I'm totally LOST.

Ok... here's a link to what I posted in that forum, I've had no reply from them yet... maybe it's relavant somehow:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/298203-trojanwin32agentczkv-nasty-infection/

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 2nd 2011, 03:31 PM

It is possible that the folder you have those files in is infected with an even worse virus and thus the lock down. This makes little sense outside of that reasoning because I can't see why Windows would lock down a folder unless a portable hard disk was involved.

You could check by getting a Linux boot disk and trying to copy it with that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 2nd 2011, 04:06 PM

A virus that came from youtube, using .mp4 downloads of commercial music videos? That sounds unlikely... but nothing's impossible. However, it's not a lockdown. I can manipulate other files in that folder, cut, copy, past, move them into other folders or drives altogether. I've been able to run programs whos .exe files are located in that folder. I've downloaded other things through firefox in the meantime, and by default they all go into the same download folder and they work fine.

I've got some old CDs with linux, and maybe older MS operating systems which I would need to find, but I could try them. I don't otherwise quite remember how to burn an operating system onto a CD or DVD. (It is possible to run OSes from CDs lol... it works strangely but it's doable). Problem is I don't have any more external hard drives that are really free, I'd have to buy a new one altogether. Easiest way would be with a different hard-drive though so I might just buy one anyway lol.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 2nd 2011, 10:30 PM

Hey, Mark, I wonder whether you mind but I took a look at your post on GeekstoGo and got curious. You can wait for them, of course, but if you don't mind, here's something to do:

First, Kasperky reported an infected file, which was C:\Program Files\Acer GameZone\Jewel Quest Solitaire\aJewelQuestSolitaire.exe and you have deleted it. But if this happens again in the future, try this:
1. Open Run (hold down Windows key and hit R) and paste in:
C:\Program Files\Acer GameZone\Jewel Quest Solitaire\

2. Find aJewelQuestSolitaire.exe in that folder and upload it to VirusTotal or VirSCAN and check the result (post the result back on the forum if you are not sure what to do).

3. That was to confirm that it was not a false positive. Once we establish that it is really an infected file, open RUN again.

4. Type in
Code:
cmd /c del /a/f/q "C:\Program Files\Acer GameZone\Jewel Quest Solitaire\aJewelQuestSolitaire.exe"
and hit ENTER. This should remove the file.

But of course, you already removed it with Kasperky Tool, so moving on . . .
1. Download Malwarebytes, update it, and scan with it. Take care of any other infection it finds.

It will generate a log afterward. Please update your post with that log.

2. Scan your computer again with your antivirus software.

From your OTL log, it looks like you have McAfee on your computer. But then you installed Avira, too. Please do not to have both of these active at teh same time. Avira and McAfee, if active at the same time, may interfere with each other and cause more problems.

3. If you would like, you can have SUPERAntispyware run a scan your computer, just to be on the safe side. The free version or the portable version would be fine; it's your choice.

4. Clean up everything with OTL. Run OTL and the CLEANUP button should be on the main screen.

5. You can now either create a restore point so that you can revert back if necessary OR you can run system restore and restore your system to an earlier point of time, before the infection happens. Take your pick.

NOTE: You want to check your external hard drive, too. Because you plugged your external drive into an infected system, the malware could have infected your external drive, too. Give it a malware scan.

About the two new files that you mentioned, if in doubt, upload them to VirusTotal or VirSCAN and check the results (or post the result here.)

As for your moving-file problem, if it still exist, could you please tell us what addon/plugin you used?

Last edited by Digilodger; April 2nd 2011 at 10:44 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 3rd 2011, 12:37 AM

The plugin is just called "Download Helper", thnx for the help I'll try whatever I can.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 3rd 2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
The plugin is just called "Download Helper", thnx for the help I'll try whatever I can.
I tried it and everything seems normal to me, except for a bug that messes up my Firefox's buttons. I am on a Dell Inspiron 1564, with Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox 4.0.

So let's go the slow way and find out which process is using it (you mentioned that you received "file in use" error, right?)
1. Download Process Explorer from Microsoft. You can think of it as an advanced Task Manager.

2. Unzip it and, of course, run it.

3. Click on Find ---> Find Handle or DLL...

4. Type in the name of the file and hit Enter (or click on Search). You should see a list of process(es) that are using your file.

See screenshot here if in doubt.

5. Kill the process(es) if you want, or please post them here so we can all see what they are,

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 3rd 2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidZN View Post

I tried it and everything seems normal to me, except for a bug that messes up my Firefox's buttons. I am on a Dell Inspiron 1564, with Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox 4.0.

So let's go the slow way and find out which process is using it (you mentioned that you received "file in use" error, right?)
1. Download Process Explorer from Microsoft. You can think of it as an advanced Task Manager.

2. Unzip it and, of course, run it.

3. Click on Find ---> Find Handle or DLL...

4. Type in the name of the file and hit Enter (or click on Search). You should see a list of process(es) that are using your file.

See screenshot here if in doubt.

5. Kill the process(es) if you want, or please post them here so we can all see what they are,

Thanks a lot... I ran the scans like you asked, got rid of any infections, then it asked me to restart the computer. The files work normal now... can move them, delete them etc. lol.... I think it was something to do with the infections. Otherwise what else?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT.,... JEEZ WTF - April 3rd 2011, 04:21 PM

Glad to know that it's fine now . Thanks for your cooperation! Thanks especially for providing the OTL logs; it automatically answered A LOT of questions that would have take 4 or 6 posts to ask (and depending on the person, we still may not know the answer even after 6 posts)

Remember to check your external drive though. We want to make sure that no malware is on it; otherwise, if a malware exists on the external drive, it might spread from the external drive to your computer again.

Closed Thread