TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 01:44 PM

I'm saving up to buy a Macbook Pro (if I save this money properly it'll take me 4 months) but I have a few questions:

1. Is it true they can't get viruses? My friend has a mac and he told me he has never put any virus protection on it and he has never had a problem. If you should use a virus protector which ones are compatible for macs?

2. I have a 1TB external hard drive for my current Windows Vista laptop. Will this work for a mac?

3. What problems have you experienced with a mac?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
I'm saving up to buy a Macbook Pro (if I save this money properly it'll take me 4 months) but I have a few questions:

1. Is it true they can't get viruses? My friend has a mac and he told me he has never put any virus protection on it and he has never had a problem. If you should use a virus protector which ones are compatible for macs?

2. I have a 1TB external hard drive for my current Windows Vista laptop. Will this work for a mac?

1. They can get viruses, there's no such thing as a "Virus free Mac". The only reason why there's less chance of getting a virus is because it's extremely unpopular to virus creators. And secondly, how does one know they have a virus with no protection? Haha, he sounds illiterate with computers.
  2. I'm not 100% sure if Macs use NTFS, but even if they don't you can format the HDD to the appropriate file type so a Mac can use the HDD.
  3. I've had none because I've never used one, I prefer a Windows. Have fun getting used to it though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 04:16 PM

I thought it wasn't really possible for it to be completely safe from viruses myself. Thanks for the answers

OMG, the imac is only 20 more expensive than the cheapest macbook pro

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/
http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/

I'll get that bad boy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:

1. They can get viruses (I prefer to call them malwares since it's a broader term). Malwares that specifically target Macs are very rare because we have a lot more Windows users. Most black-hat hackers would want the "biggest bang for the buck."

(Note: According to W3School's OS Platform Statistics, as of March 2011, only 5.1% of computer users uses Linux, 8.0% uses Mac, the rests are Windows users.)

For example, just last month, March 2011, reports of Macs being infected by rogue malwares (deployed by the new Blackhole Exploit Kits) have made their appearance around the tech world. (You can read the news here.)

Also, you are more likely to become infected with Mac-specific malwares if you tend to pirate programs illegally.

Again, realistically speaking, Macs are not more secured than Windows. It's just that they are not targeted as much. If you are fairly tech savvy and careful, you can get by without using an antivirus software. However, if you are the type who visit websites randomly, have almost zero sense of security, and pirate and install weird softwares a lot, then definitely get an antivirus program, even if you are on a Mac.

Antivirus for Macs:

Note: Once again, as of now (the moment I type this post), you are relatively safe on a Mac even without an antivirus. But if you are the type who likes to pirate and/or install random software often, then definitely get an antivirus program.

Free:
Clamxav -- http://www.clamxav.com/
iAntivirus -- http://www.iantivirus.com/
Sophos -- http://www.sophos.com/products/free-...ac-anti-virus/
Commercial
ESET Cybersecuity -- http://www.eset.com/us/home/cybersecurity-for-mac
Norton -- http://www.symantec-norton.com/Norton_For_Mac_c4.aspx
McAfee -- http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/vi...n-for-mac.aspx

2. It's an external drive, right? Generally it should work. But I have no idea what kind of external drive you are talking about; so I can't tell for sure. Could you give more info? Manufacturer? Series? Model? Maybe some specs?

3. I don't have a Mac (I dual-boot Windows and Linux on both of my computers). But I have used Mac at my university's computer and two of my friends own Macs.

The biggest problem I found is software compatibility, namely . . . GAMES!

Now, recently, with the rise of Intel CPU in Macs, these compatibility problems can easily be overcome by running virtual environments, using softwares like VMware Fusion and Parallels. Still, expect some problems if you are a computer gamer

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 09:31 PM

Thank you thanks for the list of anti-virus/malware programmes. I always get quite paranoid with internet security

I have this external hard-drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-Prest.../dp/B001LPEXM4

The only game I want to play on it is The Sims 3 which is compatible with the mac

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you thanks for the list of anti-virus/malware programmes. I always get quite paranoid with internet security

I have this external hard-drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-Prest.../dp/B001LPEXM4

The only game I want to play on it is The Sims 3 which is compatible with the mac
I'm not very paranoid about antivirus programs, even though I am on Windows, . One vulnerability ---> 100 potential exploits ---> 10000 potential payloads; antiviruses tend to focus primarily on payloads, and secondarily on exploits. For me, I prefer to cover the exploits as much as I can--now, of course I cannot fix them; only the developers of that program and the developers of the antimalware program can. But at least I can "cover it up" so that the "hole" is smaller (if you get what I mean). Antivirus is like . . . the last layer of protection.

If I am in a gun fight, even if I have bullet-proof vest on, I would still hide behind something and shoot. The bullet-proof vest is the final layer of protection; it still hurts if the bullet hit the vest--not to mention that bullet-proof vest only cover about 70% of the body (similar to antivirus software's protection). I would much rather my opponent's bullet hit the wall/barrier/whatever than hit me--or the bullet-proof vest I am wearing.

Seems like that thing would work on both PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs, according to its official web page.

Oh, only that? You don't play Pokemon online? You seem to love Pokemon games; so I thought you often play pokemon battles with people all over the world online. Never mind then,

Last edited by Digilodger; April 11th 2011 at 10:22 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Take life one day at a time
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jenn

Re: Questions about macs - April 11th 2011, 10:54 PM

Mine does this thing I named JAPAN SPAMMMMMMM
ALL these freaky Japanese symbols pop up and bye-bye Franny (My computer's name) She also has a terrible time picking up internet. But I have the cheap first kind of mac so it's tad special.

Don't you know you're lovely?
Jenn <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Questions about macs - April 12th 2011, 03:23 AM

My family has only owned Macs my whole life, and in that time. We have never had a virus, never. I don't use any kind of protection and as far as I know no one else in my family does (Though they might, I am just not sure), only thing I do is just back up my hard drive every once in a while. It is possible, but it is very rare.

Yes, it should work. I went to the link you posted, and right on the amazon page is says that it will work with Macs.

As for problems, the only problem I have ever had with my current computer (A 2006 Macbook) is that last summer I broke the cooling fans, and since then have had some internet problems. But other then that (And a few older computer not liking me, and deciding to stop working on me) I haven't had many problems, in my house we all own Macbooks, and I am the only one who has had problems. So as long as you take care of it well, it should be fine.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Questions about macs - April 13th 2011, 06:06 AM

1. Viruses, yes Macs can get them. The reasoning behind why Macs are known to "not" have viruses are because there is a smaller user base compared to PCs. From the view point of the person making the virus: why would you want hit a smaller amount of people than you could? There are plenty of free anti-virus softwares. THE ONLY THING IS always make sure that you are downloading something that is legit! I prefer to download either through Apple or through the company itself. 3rd party links are very iffy! Also, ways to get viruses: Facebook/Myspace spam (messages saying click the links or omg i saw you in this video...etc), through e-mail (you can get a lot of spam saying to click a link), off of an untrusted website, and more. Just be careful about what you click and download.

2. External hard drives depend on how it is formatted. If you are not sure how to, here is how- To see the format of the external drive, right-click on the icon and select Properties (Windows) or Get Info (Mac). For more details, reference this page: http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/...ac-and-pc/P20/ . ALSO make sure that if your hard drive connects via firewire and NOT USB. If it is firewire, then make sure that you are willing to buy an additional cable. Macs now have a different Firewire port than the older ports.

3. I have owned a Mac my entire life, my family has all owned Macs, and I have worked with Macs all around the place (school, work, etc). I haven't run into many problems other than the inevitable hard drive crash. Since I actually dig deep into my computer (I am a computer science major), I do run into some issues, but they aren't issues that you'd run into normally. I have Bootcamped my computer (to run Windows) and that works just fine. The only issue with that is that the partition (space allocated for Windows) is too small. I have never had a virus and no one that I know of on a Mac has had a virus. There have been minor issues with programs quitting unexpectedly, but this happens on every machine. Just remember that Macs aren't compatible with every file that Windows can run.

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer through PM. Also, if you need help with things such as short cuts or how to use a feature of your computer, just let me know!

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#10 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Questions about macs - April 13th 2011, 07:31 AM

I won't really speak to the second question and such since other users obviously know more about that then I do and I dont feel a need to repeat their advice . As far as viruses go though yes a mac can still get a virus it's just a lot less likely. There aren't as many mac users and virus creators tend to target pcs for that reason.

I've had my macbook pro since 2009. As far as problems go I recently had to replace my power cord and battery. Both the power cord and battery fried. However, my warranty I bought covered both of them and apple was pretty good about getting everything fixed under warranty. Apparently the original power cords do have this trouble but they have since changed the design a bit. Otherwise I have not had any real issues with my mac. It does randomly want to shut down programs for me but thats nothing out of the ordinary really. Just be careful about programs being compatible and such I guess.

Closed Thread