TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Almost Two Weeks... - April 15th 2011, 03:17 AM

I've been without my laptop for almost two weeks. It's been the longest I've gone without it, and the longest I've gone without having an immediate access to a computer. Since I was thirteen, I've had a computer in my bedroom.

Thus, I'm relying solely on school computers. It's an inconvenience, but at least I'm not completely without. Everything important is on my flash drive, which has about 900 MB left on it now. I have two other flash drives, but I can't seem to find either of them.

I'm unable to go in the chat, since it's apparently blocked on here. (It goes to load, then it says "unable to connect to server.)

The reason I'm without my computer is because it had a little tumble. Well, apparently my laptop case wasn't all the closed, and my laptop fell out of it. At first, I didn't notice anything major. It turned on, and worked fine. Then, a day or so later I noticed that the part that connects the screen to the keyboard was beginning to split.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2dgndol.jpg

It got so bad that it couldn't close at all. And since I need it for my classes, since I couldn't close it, I couldn't carry it to my classes without risking it becoming further damaged.

Now, I'm relying on school computers to do my Photoshop and In-Design homework. It's inconvenient, and I hope my laptop comes back soon. I sent it in on the 4th, and I was told that it would be 1 1/2 weeks to 2. And according to the online tracking site, they're still awaiting parts. :/

Something tells me I'm not going to have it back by the 18th. Waiting is horrible. I'm going home on the 21st for the Easter holiday, and I'd really like it back by then.

If I didn't have school computers, a cell phone with internet, and an iPod touch, I don't think I could survive.

That just shows you how much technology has influenced my life. You don't know what you're missing until it's gone. Since I was nine, technology has circled my life, and I've hardly gone without it for a day.

Lately, though, it's been one thing after another with me. First my phone wasn't working, and now my laptop's gone. I'm lucky that they didn't both break down concurrently. I don't know what I would have done.

I know it's sad to rely so much on technology. But, hey, what can I say...it's my life. Going without technology is like going without food.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 15th 2011, 07:17 AM

Hi I understand where you are coming from. My laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago (now I have one) but I was dying because I couldn't do anything. I had all my notes, works, presentation, work things etc. Thank God I could recover everything but the point is we depend too much on technology and when something goes wrong we freeze because we literally have all our life in electronic things.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 15th 2011, 06:51 PM

I'm just lucky that my hard drive wasn't damaged. Before I took it in, I was able to save my important data to a flash drive. I've known people whose laptops have dropped, and their laptops wouldn't even turn on.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 16th 2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
I'm just lucky that my hard drive wasn't damaged. Before I took it in, I was able to save my important data to a flash drive. I've known people whose laptops have dropped, and their laptops wouldn't even turn on.
Here's a tip: Keep your important file on the cloud (on the web). This way, even if your physical drive is smashed into smithereens or even if someone steals your computer, you still can access them by downloading them from the internet.

Free service like Windows Live SkyDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive, and Dropbox are a few examples. Take Dropbox for example, after installation, you can set it to automatically sync your important files across multiple computers; you can also access your files on the web interface as well.

Anyhow, back to subject, I am on a similar boat here, but not with laptop. It has been almost two weeks since I don't have a cell phone . The new one that I ordered should be arriving in about Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Which do you think is worse? No computer or cell phone? Personally, I think not having a computer is worse. I still can do whatever my cell phone can (including voice calling and texting) on my laptop .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 17th 2011, 04:39 AM

Oh man. Have better responsibility with things like that in the future. I don't even eat or drink while on my laptop. I always shut it down. I have had bad food experiences. I spilled juice and water on it. I gotten chocolate stuck underneath the keys. So I have a zero policy towards food and computers.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 17th 2011, 10:33 PM

Trust me, I've tried to be as careful as I can be around my technology. I'm accident prone and a complete klutz because of the eye condition I was born with. I can only be so careful

it's definitely worse being without my computer, since I need it for my classes..

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#7 (permalink)) Old
noveras Offline
StRuGgLeR
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amirul Amin

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 18th 2011, 03:36 PM

Always make back up for your back up.I learned that the hard way -__-.....

Everyone Is Born To This World A Champion But The Only Way You Can Leave This World As A Champion Is By Not Giving Up In Life No Matters What It Throws At You
  Send a message via MSN to noveras  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Almost Two Weeks... - April 20th 2011, 07:08 PM

It looks like it's going to be one more week. I called them today, and they told me that they're waiting on one more part. Once the part is in, they said assembly should be quick. And the part is supposed to be in tomorrow or Friday.

I'm going home this weekend, so I won't technically need it anyway. It's one less thing I need to take to my car. Nonetheless, I'm installing my Adobe products at home.

It'll be like old times... alone in my bedroom on my desktop. My desktop's four years old now, but it has to be faster than the school computers.

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Closed Thread