TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Video software - April 18th 2011, 04:07 PM

Can someone here recommend some good software which allows you to record what's going on on your screen? Preferably free obviously, but I'm prepared to pay maybe up to 20 for something at this stage. Some of the ones I found cost 70 + which I don't wana spend right now on something I don't know if I'll even find useful.

Also video editing software, just to do the regular things such as cutting a video into smaller chunks, maybe adding sound effects, some writing on top of it in whatever fonts, sizes and colours.

Maybe there's one piece of software out there which can do both? I dono... just post some links to some good software lol, I don't quite know myself what I want.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: TJ

Re: Video software - April 18th 2011, 05:20 PM

If you want it for computer games, get fraps: http://www.fraps.com/

If you want it to record your desktop, get HyperCam: http://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/hypercam/

And as far as editing: windows movie maker: http://explore.live.com/windows-live...maker?os=other

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  Send a message via AIM to TJ- Send a message via MSN to TJ-  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Video software - April 18th 2011, 10:35 PM

Okay, here are several Screencasting Tools that I have tried and like:
NOTE #1: All information posted here are ONLY true as-of-today, the day I type this post. I don't know how they would change in the future.

NOTE #2: All prices listed here are based on US dollar, rounded by me. If you use other currency like EUR or GBP, please convert them yourself.

NOTE #3: These softwares are listed in descending order--what I like the MOST first, then what I like the LEAST comes last.

--------------------------------

Camtasia: TechSmith.com
Price: Windows version costs $300 USD -- Mac version costs $100 USD
Type: Screen recorder AND video editor

The Good: Arguably one of the best screen-recorders as of now. It includes a screen recorder and a video editor. It also includes its own codec so you can record your video in the highest quality possible. You can record in full screen, then use the editor later to add or edit other stuffs into or out of it. For example, you can set a zoom, pan, callouts, add soundtrack, voice, cursor effect, remove the cursor, transitions, etc. For a full list of features, go here.

The Bad: At $300 USD (or $180 USD, with education discount), it's an expensive choice for casual production.

CamStudio: Camstudio.org
Price: Free -- Open Source
Type: Screen recorder

The Good: One of the four best free screen-recorders as of now. It includes a screen recorder only, plus a lossless codec for screen capturing. Some of its features include cursor highlighting, automatically pan, and record with sound.

The Bad: No video editor, only supports AVI and SWF formats, no zoom feature, the included lossless codec isn't support by most video editors so the video may need to be re-encoded before putting into a video editor.

Microsoft Expression Encoder: Microsoft.com
Price: Free -- Pro version costs $200 USD [link to pro version]
Type: Screen recorder AND video editor

The Good: One of the four best free screen-recorders as of now, but only few people aware of it because it's still new. It is simple and to the point, with a built-in video editor. The video output is immediately YouTube-ready.

The Bad: The free version only allows up to 10 minutes of screen-recording, only support Windows Media formats, more of an encoder for MS Silverlight than a screen-recorder.

BB Flashback: BBSoftware.co.uk
Price: Express version is Free -- Standard version costs $90 USD -- Pro version costs $200 USD
Type: Screen recorder -- Video editor only available in Pro version

The Good: One of the four best free screen-recorders as of now. It has three versions to choose from, depending on your needs. The free version supports AVI, SWF, and FLV; other two versions support AVI, SWF, MOV, and WMV. It allows recording of of screen, audio and webcam simultaneously, including record and display keystrokes.

The Bad: No video editor in Express and Standard version, $200 USD for the pro version is a steep price, support few media formats, the Express version is basically a bare-bone screen-recording utility, for a full comparison between the three versions, please go here.

Wink: DebugMode.com
Price: Free -- Freeware
Type: Screen recorder

The Good: One of the four best free screen-recorders as of now, but it has fell behind since the last quarter of 2010, with the appearance of MS Expression Encoder and BB Flashback. It allows annotation with captions, and also allows you to create interactive screencasts where users have to click to advance.

The Bad: No video editor, only produces videos in Flash or executable file formats, out of date interface, no longer actively developed.

[Continue on next post]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Video software - April 18th 2011, 10:38 PM

Note to Mod: This was double-posted intentionally, to avoid confusion. Please do not merge them together. The thread's OP stack two subjects into a single thread so it gets really crowded in here, if you get what I mean

-------------------------------------

As for video editors, this one is a bit more complicated.

We have the basic editors (linear) and the advanced editors (with non-linear editing capability).

And then we have the ones that aim to create incredible short sequence (edit a short part like explosion, creating short but incredible intro, special effects, etc.) but isn't meant to be used to manipulate an entire movie.

I won't go into much details like the previous post because there are simply too many "good" ones to go through. But if you wish, please create a separate thread dedicated for Video Editors only.

------------------------------------

You said this in your first post:
Also video editing software, just to do the regular things such as cutting a video into smaller chunks, maybe adding sound effects, some writing on top of it in whatever fonts, sizes and colours.

I supposed that means just the basic editor would be good, right? Plus, they have to be free?

In the "free" price range, The one I like the most is LightWorks. It an open source software that's on par with the professional softwares. It has been used in the making of movies like Shutter Island, Centurion, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Mission Impossible.

LightWorks in undoubtedly the best free video editor as of today. If work together with Blender (a sequence editor, awesome for creating incredible, Hollywood-like video openings), then professional videos are totally possible.

Of course, one huge draw back is that both LightWorks and Blender would take a lot of time to learn. I have experience with Adobe After Effects so it wasn't all that bad for me, but if you just jump into with zero experience, then expect some confusion

Besides that, the next two that comes to mind is Windows Movie Maker (for Windows) and iMovie (for Mac), though iMovie isn't free.

Some alternate third-party solutions are AvideMux, VideoPad, and ZS4.

Last edited by Digilodger; April 19th 2011 at 09:56 AM.

Closed Thread