TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 06:54 PM

help? Please!? i need to delete it. My sister is going to look at it..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 07:15 PM

Go to tools, then there should be something that says: 'delete browsing history...'. That's for IE anyway, I don't know what you use, but that's what I have.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 07:19 PM

Yeah, it depends on your browser, but there should be a button somewhere called "Tools" and there should be an option to delete browser history. It's really easy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 07:51 PM

I'm on google Chrome, i do that all the time, but wont she still be able to get it?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 08:26 PM

There probably is some way of bringing it back, but unless your sister is a computer genius there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure the sites you don't want her to see arn't favourited or bookmarked, and all the browsing history is deleted. Can I ask why she is going to look?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 08:32 PM

It's possible that she can still look at sites you've previously visited. Deleting history will not delete all evidence, unfortunately. There's also temporary internet files, cookies, and some other stuff that won't be deleted when you delete your history (as far as I know). Unless she's tech savvy, then she probably won't know how to access information like that. Your best bet is to just delete your history and make sure there's nothing in the search bar or anything else that's obvious.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionLover View Post
There probably is some way of bringing it back, but unless your sister is a computer genius there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure the sites you don't want her to see arn't favourited or bookmarked, and all the browsing history is deleted. Can I ask why she is going to look?
She is, well she got a higher in computing and she can make hard drives. I don't know, she said she's going to check I've not been on anything i shouldn't have.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 21st 2011, 10:11 PM

And have you? I dunno under chrome, but under internet explorer eight it's under "Safety" and then you can delete cookies and all of that. I doubt she'll really search, don't worry, it'll turn out.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 22nd 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle(: View Post
She is, well she got a higher in computing and she can make hard drives. I don't know, she said she's going to check I've not been on anything i shouldn't have.
You should have said that earlier. I thought this thread was a dumb joke at first so I didn't response. But seems like you weren't joking.

But just of curiosity, why would you let a tech-savvy person touch your computer in the first place? Can't you just lock your computer up and encrypt everything? TrueCrypt is a good free tool that would help you encrypt your files. Heck, your sister would have to go through hell to decrypt something encrypted with AES-256, if she could at all.

--------------------------

There're many potential methods to look at your browsing history. But let's just go through what most likely would be looked at:
1. Browsing history
2. Download history
3. Cookies
4. Browser Cache
5. DNS Cache

6. Extension data, especially blacklists and whitelists
7. Plugin data, especially flash history

8. Logs from your router (if you use a router)
9. Logs from your DNS server (if you are a DNS server other than your ISP's DNS server)

To combat these threats easily:
1. Download CCleaner (download from here), install and open it.

2. Take a look at the Windows tab and the Applications tab and make sure that you set CCleaner to clean what you want. Then run it.

3. And just to be safe (in case you forgot to set CCleaner to clean it or in case CCleaner does a poor job), manually clear the browsing history by going to Tool ---> Options ---> Under the Hood ---> Clear Browsing Data. Make sure that hte settings are correct and hit Clear.

4. Again, just to be safe, manually flush the DNS cache as well. This can be done simply by opening the command prompt and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quote).

5. Access Adobe Flash Player's Setting Manager here. Clear all the histories and cookies you can find in that Setting Manager.

6. Look through your extensions and make sure that nothing suspicious are in the blacklists and whitelists.

7. If you are paranoid, go through the extensions (chrome://extensions) and plugins (about: plugins) and make sure that none of them can give you away.

8. Clear all the logs in your router if you have one.

9. Clear all the logs in your DNS server if you use a third-party one (like OpenDNS).

When deleting files that you do NOT want anyone to recover, make sure that you delete it AND overwrite it. If you fail to overwrite it (like if you only delete it then empty the recycle bin), then that file may still be easily recovered, using tools like MiniTool and Recuva.

CCleaner has a few options for secure file deleting (you can find the settings under Options ---> Settings ---> Secure Deletion). Other than CCleaner, Eraser and FileShredder are some alternatives for selective secured file deleting.

-------------------

After she has checked:

Again, allowing a tech-savvy person to access your computer is dangerous (because you never know what they might do to your system), and I never understand why anyone would do that (unless it's not "your" computer).

Anyhow, back to subject, after she has left:
1. Check for any noticeable changes, this includes new installation and startup programs, as well as services, update settings, proxy settings, etc.

Especially your firewall rules and antimalware exceptions! Your webcam and microphone could be changed to work against you as well. You do NOT want anyone to change those settings without your permissions.

2. Check for keyloggers, rootkits, backdoors, remote-control programs, etc.

If she managed to get one on your system without you knowing, then you might as well hand over your computer to her unless you find it.

Whatever you type, including usernames and passwords, would be send to her. She can also intercept IM messages (like from Yahoo Messenger, MSN, Skype, etc.) and view a screenshot of your screen every time you click. At worst, she can watch what you do on your system in real time, and even remotely control your system as well.

A low-level format might be a good option if you are paranoid enough.

3. Check your DNS configuration to see whether she has changed it to a server of her control.

If she manage to route you through a DNS server of her control, like her OpenDNS account or Google DNS, then everything you do online is available on the internet for her to view.

4. Check your modem and router to make sure nothing has changed, or suspicious received/sent packages. While at that, change your password and WPA2 security key as well.

If she has access to your router, you are just about as screw as if she has access to your computer, because she would have complete control over how you browse the web.

Also, people within the same network (your home network, in this case) can easily "sniff" each other, and "sidejacking." A recently famous tool for this job is Firesheep, but of course, any decent programmer can make one on his/her own--that means your sister probably can as well.

Another point is that WEP key is a joke. While WPA2 is a bitch to crack, WEP is like a closed door without lock. With about 10 command lines, it's all open for anyone to come it. Even if she doesn't like command lines, she still can use tools like BackTrack, which would easily get teh job done.

Good luck! Did I leave anything out?

Last edited by Digilodger; April 22nd 2011 at 12:44 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 22nd 2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidZN View Post

You should have said that earlier. I thought this thread was a dumb joke at first so I didn't response. But seems like you weren't joking.

But just of curiosity, why would you let a tech-savvy person touch your computer in the first place? Can't you just lock your computer up and encrypt everything? TrueCrypt is a good free tool that would help you encrypt your files. Heck, your sister would have to go through hell to decrypt something encrypted with AES-256, if she could at all.

--------------------------

There're many potential methods to look at your browsing history. But let's just go through what most likely would be looked at:
1. Browsing history
2. Download history
3. Cookies
4. Browser Cache
5. DNS Cache

6. Extension data, especially blacklists and whitelists
7. Plugin data, especially flash history

8. Logs from your router (if you use a router)
9. Logs from your DNS server (if you are a DNS server other than your ISP's DNS server)
To combat these threats easily:
1. Download CCleaner (download from here), install and open it.

2. Take a look at the Windows tab and the Applications tab and make sure that you set CCleaner to clean what you want. Then run it.

3. And just to be safe (in case you forgot to set CCleaner to clean it or in case CCleaner does a poor job), manually clear the browsing history by going to Tool ---> Options ---> Under the Hood ---> Clear Browsing Data. Make sure that hte settings are correct and hit Clear.

4. Again, just to be safe, manually flush the DNS cache as well. This can be done simply by opening the command prompt and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quote).

5. Access Adobe Flash Player's Setting Manager here. Clear all the histories and cookies you can find in that Setting Manager.

6. Look through your extensions and make sure that nothing suspicious are in the blacklists and whitelists.

7. If you are paranoid, go through the extensions (chrome://extensions) and plugins (about: plugins) and make sure that none of them can give you away.

8. Clear all the logs in your router if you have one.

9. Clear all the logs in your DNS server if you use a third-party one (like OpenDNS).
When deleting files that you do NOT want anyone to recover, make sure that you delete it AND overwrite it. If you fail to overwrite it (like if you only delete it then empty the recycle bin), then that file may still be easily recovered, using tools like MiniTool and Recuva.

CCleaner has a few options for secure file deleting (you can find the settings under Options ---> Settings ---> Secure Deletion). Other than CCleaner, Eraser and FileShredder are some alternatives for selective secured file deleting.

-------------------

After she has checked:

Again, allowing a tech-savvy person to access your computer is dangerous (because you never know what they might do to your system), and I never understand why anyone would do that (unless it's not "your" computer).

Anyhow, back to subject, after she has left:
1. Check for any noticeable changes, this includes new installation and startup programs, as well as services, update settings, proxy settings, etc.

Especially your firewall rules and antimalware exceptions! Your webcam and microphone could be changed to work against you as well. You do NOT want anyone to change those settings without your permissions.

2. Check for keyloggers, rootkits, backdoors, remote-control programs, etc.

If she managed to get one on your system without you knowing, then you might as well hand over your computer to her unless you find it.

Whatever you type, including usernames and passwords, would be send to her. She can also intercept IM messages (like from Yahoo Messenger, MSN, Skype, etc.) and view a screenshot of your screen every time you click. At worst, she can watch what you do on your system in real time, and even remotely control your system as well.

A low-level format might be a good option if you are paranoid enough.

3. Check your DNS configuration to see whether she has changed it to a server of her control.

If she manage to route you through a DNS server of her control, like her OpenDNS account or Google DNS, then everything you do online is available on the internet for her to view.

4. Check your modem and router to make sure nothing has changed, or suspicious received/sent packages. While at that, change your password and WPA2 security key as well.

If she has access to your router, you are just about as screw as if she has access to your computer, because she would have complete control over how you browse the web.

Also, people within the same network (your home network, in this case) can easily "sniff" each other, and "sidejacking." A recently famous tool for this job is Firesheep, but of course, any decent programmer can make one on his/her own--that means your sister probably can as well.

Another point is that WEP key is a joke. While WPA2 is a bitch to crack, WEP is like a closed door without lock. With about 10 command lines, it's all open for anyone to come it. Even if she doesn't like command lines, she still can use tools like BackTrack, which would easily get teh job done.

Good luck! Did I leave anything out?
I'm sorry, but you have to pay for that thing, i cant. She's going to find it. Idk what to do.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 22nd 2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you have to pay for that thing, i cant. She's going to find it. Idk what to do.
Pay for . . . what thing? Not a single program I mentioned in my previous post is a commercial software. All of them are either freewares or open-source. I don't get what you mean

Besides, I also showed you how to manually clear all browsing histories, cookies, and cache, flush the DNS cache, and clear flash storage/history/cookies just in case. The manual steps are fairly easy, too.

No offense, but now I really am thinking that you are purposely joking around with us.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 22nd 2011, 08:15 PM

Truecrypt to lock files.
CCleaner to delete browsing history.

SIMPLES.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 22nd 2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Pay for . . . what thing? Not a single program I mentioned in my previous post is a commercial software. All of them are either freewares or open-source. I don't get what you mean

Besides, I also showed you how to manually clear all browsing histories, cookies, and cache, flush the DNS cache, and clear flash storage/history/cookies just in case. The manual steps are fairly easy, too.

No offense, but now I really am thinking that you are purposely joking around with us.
I'm not. I'm just rubbish with computers, Will this delete it though? Forever, is this the right thing, i just dont want to brake the computer, in case i click something, i'm not supposed too.

And that's what i got when i tried to get that thing you download.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:

I'm not. I'm just rubbish with computers, Will this delete it though? Forever, is this the right thing, i just dont want to brake the computer, in case i click something, i'm not supposed too.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
Press "Download Now", save the file (called ccsetup305.exe). Open the file, enter any administrator passwords if you need to, then go through the set-up process.

For file encyption, use the suggested program called TrueCrypt.
http://www.truecrypt.org/
Click on the "Downloads" tab then click on the appropriate download file depending on your system. It's free. The Paypal button is there if you want to donate but do not have to.

VoidZN also mentioned to check for any keyloggers, etc... . I'm assuming you have an anti-virus and internet security program, such as Norton. It's a program you have to pay for but is very good. VoidZN recommended to me at a previous time to download 1 of 2 (or both) programs that are used to scan your computer for any malwares. Both are free and you can google both to get many websites to download them from:
1) Hijack This
2) TDSSKiller

Hijack This is easier to read and understand but is not as comprehensive as TDSSKiller. Run them, get the results and if you don't understand them, post them up here or at another forum dedicated to more advanced computing.
To eliminate such programs, either use your anti-virus program you have installed (again, I'm assuming you have one installed) as well as things like Malwarebytes.

To do the stuff manually, it's been explained already but I'll do a quick run-over. I'm assuming you're using Windows, if not, I don't know other systems. To flush the DNS cache, go to Start -> All programs -> Accessories
Right click on "Command Prompt", click on "Run As Administrator" and put in any password if needed. To ensure you're running it as administrator, it should read:
C:\Windows\System32>
Type in "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotation marks but you must have the space between "ipconfig" and "/". It should say something like "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolved Cache".

For erasing browsing history, cookies, temporary files, saved passwords and forums, your Internet window should have an Option or File button somewhere allowing you to erase it. If you cant find it, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Internet Options. Usually under the "Privacy" tab it allows you to delete. The exact layout may differ depending on the system and web browser you're using.

I use FireFox so for me it's just opening the browser, clicking on the "FireFox" tab -> Options -> Options and "Privacy" tab, where not only can I delete, I can also set it to "Never remember history".

If you don't understand anything I posted, you're fucking around with us.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 06:10 AM

Okay then, if you weren't joking, then I am sorry. Here are the steps in details.

CCleaner is free. But the "Priority Support," which would give you access to Piriform's Support Center is not free.

If the Piriform's website is confusing, you can try FileHippo's server (notice the download link at the top-right corner).

[If image doesn't show, click here.]

------------------------------

And here are the steps again, this time, in details :

NOTE: Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't let my siblings touch my computer, never mind about going through it. You may want to consider the option of just locking down your laptop and encrypt your files using TrueCrypt. (While encryption doesn't provide 100% protection, I highly doubt that your sister has the resources to crack a proper AES 256-bit encryption.)

Step 0 -- If you have downloaded "stuffs" that you don't want your sister to see, this is the time to send them straight to the recycle bin . . . in preparation for secured file erasing.

Step 1 -- Download CCleaner (download from here), install and open it.

Step 2 -- Set up Secure File Deleting.

Why: When deleting files that you do NOT want anyone to recover, make sure that you delete it AND overwrite it. Imaging writing with a pen, if you want to delete something to the point where others can't read it, you have to scratch all over it. If you fail to overwrite it (like if you only delete it then empty the recycle bin), then that file may still be easily recovered. Tools like MiniTool Power Data or Piriform's Recuva can do this with just a few clicks.

Step 3 -- Set up what CCleaner should clean.

Cleaner ---> Windows. Don't mess with the advanced section if you don't know what you are doing. Other than that, have fun with the rest of the options.

Cleaner ---> Applications. Go wild in this section and tick everything if you wish. However, if you do not remember your passwords to websites--or at least your email--then it is suggested that you do NOT clear out saved passwords.

Step 4 -- Hit "Run Cleaner." A warning might popup, saying that the deleted data would be unrecoverable. If you are sure that you want delete all those data, hit OK.

NOTE: NEVER mess with the registry cleaner unless a trusted helper instructs you to do so.

Step 5 -- Look through your extensions and make sure that nothing suspicious are in the blacklists and whitelists. This is different depending what extensions you have; so I cannot give detail help here, unless I have a list of your installed extensions to work with.

Step 6 -- If you are paranoid, go through the extensions (chrome://extensions) and plugins (about: plugins) and make sure that none of them can give you away.

Step 7 -- Clear all the logs in your router if you have one. Again, this is something that you have to figure out on your own since each router is different from another.

Step 8 -- Clear all the logs in your DNS server if you use a third-party one (like OpenDNS). Once again, chances are you are using the one provided by your ISP. But hey, only you can know this. You are on your own on this one.

And if you prefer batch files, here's how to force CCleaner to run silently behind the scene (good in emergency situations):
Step 1 -- Open Notepad. Do NOT use word processors like MS Word for this.

Step 2 -- The format is this: "Drive:\path\*.exe" /AUTO
The /Auto switch tells CCLeaner to run silently in the background.

If you have a 32-bit version of windows, it would be something like:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

Since I have Windows 7 64-bit, my default would be:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

Step 3 -- Save it as a .bat file. For example: Clean.bat

When you want to run it, just double-click on it.

---------------------

If you would prefer to rather clear manually clear your browsing data:
On Chrome, you can go to Tool ---> Options ---> Clear Browsing Data

You already provided a screenshot of this yourself; so I won't post one here.

Then open your command prompt and type in: ipconfig /flushdns
That should flush your DNS cache.

Next, visit the Setting Manager of your Flash here and clear everything there.

Now then, did I leave anything out?

Last edited by Digilodger; April 23rd 2011 at 06:32 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 08:55 AM

If you're using Google Chrome, just use the "Incognito" feature.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guru Offline
Kindness is magic
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:

The top screenshot is correct. Press the button. That'll get rid of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If you're using Google Chrome, just use the "Incognito" feature.
And yes, this stops history being stored in the future. Press Ctrl+Shift+H to access this.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
The top screenshot is correct. Press the button. That'll get rid of everything.

And yes, this stops history being stored in the future. Press Ctrl+Shift+H to access this.
No, it does NOT get rid of everything. You are forgetting flash cookies, and (less of a threat but still a potential giveaway) DNS cache.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Guru Offline
Kindness is magic
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:

No, it does NOT get rid of everything. You are forgetting flash cookies, and (less of a threat but still a potential giveaway) DNS cache.
In the instance, which 'cache' is it clearing then, when it says, 'clear the cache'?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 02:34 PM

Thank- you. VoidZN thank you for your step- by step thing i got it done. Sorry if anyone thought i was wasting their time, i wasn't.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 06:53 PM

Also something that I don't think anyone's mentioned is that anything you delete on your computer goes into your recycling bin. Everyone knows that.

But.

What if you "empty" your recycling bin? Does it go away forever and is it irretrievable? No. All information deleted from a recycling bin, or information deleted using the "delete browsing history" function in most web browsers still exists on the hard drive, and can be retrieved by very specialist programmes. The only way to get rid of the information for 100% is to fill you your hard drive with other stuff, completely to the brim... because the new information literally displaces the old information.

I somehow doubt your sister would go as far as that. Those kinds of programmes I heard are used by police lol... and they probably cost money. Besides, if she wanted to find out what websites you've visited this way, it'd be very hard work and time consuming because she'd have to look through everything else that's also still stored on the hard drive that way, and I don't think it's organised in any particular order whatsoever.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 23rd 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
In the instance, which 'cache' is it clearing then, when it says, 'clear the cache'?
Your web browser only clear what it has stored. For example, Google Chrome will only clear what Google Chrome has cached; Firefox will only clear what it has cached.

DNS cache is handle by your operating system's DNS client, NOT by your web browsers.
On Windows, if you would open Services.msc (open Run, and type it in, or search for it with Windows Vista and 7's file search feature in the start menu), you would find DNS Client listed in the name of Windows services.
Heck, Chrome and Firefox would not even touch each other's cache. They are set to not touch a separate program's cache.

The cache that's being clearing in "Clear Browsing Data" option of the web browser is . . . whatever your web browser has cached--or temporarily saved--as you go through the internet. Take this thread as the example, your browser caches the files on here, including the images.
To put it in the simplest terms, when you browse the web, your web browser is constantly downloading and store stuffs in your temporary folder (by default). This helps speed up the page-load time if you visit the page again because the data is now stored locally, meaning the web browser only need to render the web page, rather than download and then render it.

DNS cache is a little different. Every time you visit a website, like TeenHelp, your client needs to look up the site's IP address, which would be a string of numbers. Your client would store the response so that next time, you can just go directly to your destination, without having to ask where it is.
The client usually keep these entries for about a day. Flushing DNS is useful if you want to keep your browsing history secret or if the client has cached a bad DNS entry.

Hope this make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Also something that I don't think anyone's mentioned is that anything you delete on your computer goes into your recycling bin. Everyone knows that.

But.

What if you "empty" your recycling bin? Does it go away forever and is it irretrievable? No. All information deleted from a recycling bin, or information deleted using the "delete browsing history" function in most web browsers still exists on the hard drive, and can be retrieved by very specialist programmes. The only way to get rid of the information for 100% is to fill you your hard drive with other stuff, completely to the brim... because the new information literally displaces the old information.

I somehow doubt your sister would go as far as that. Those kinds of programmes I heard are used by police lol... and they probably cost money. Besides, if she wanted to find out what websites you've visited this way, it'd be very hard work and time consuming because she'd have to look through everything else that's also still stored on the hard drive that way, and I don't think it's organised in any particular order whatsoever.

1. No, I mentioned that earlier in my previous post and my first post in this thread.. Hence, I suggested her to set up secured file deletion, with 3 or 7 passes (whichever she wants).

2. No, it does not take a special programmer to retrieved those files. Even a non-tech person can do that. To quote myself, "Tools like MiniTool Power Data or Piriform's Recuva can do this with just a few clicks." It would take a programmer to write those kind of programs, but anyone can use them. Hired specialists would do more advanced stuffs than that, like decrypting encrypted files or recovering many-times-overwritten files, etc.

3. No, it does not always cost money. Both programs I mentioned are free. And they aren't complicated to use either, just a few clicks of the mouse. How hard can that be?

4. No, she does not need to "fill [her] hard drive with other stuff, completely to the brim" (quoted you). Using algorithm like the Gutmann method (with 35 passes) is already overkill.

5. No, the 100% way is to physically destroy the hard drive itself, like smash it sledge hammer, blow it up with dynamite, or whatever our creative mind may think of.

6. And no, everyone should be familiar with secure file deleting, not just those who hold national secrets or something. In today's world, with the technology advancement, many of us has sensitive data on our drives, such as our identity, our financial records, etc.

Last edited by Digilodger; April 23rd 2011 at 11:13 PM.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How can i make sure no one can ever see my history? - April 25th 2011, 09:13 AM

My IT teacher was full of shit lol. I thought at least he was good at IT. ^^

I was told to write that in an exam, literally.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread