TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

Laptops...... - June 5th 2011, 11:36 PM

Hello,

Well I plan on getting a new laptop before the next school year starts, I have a job now so I'm able to save up for one. My price range is anywhere under 900$, I'm not very good at technology which is why I'm asking for advice. I'm not into macs so anything other than a mac is good. I'd like something simple to figure out but has enough space and enough things that I need, I don't game alot, but I have alot of music, photos, and documents so I'd need room for those.

So what are your suggestions??? Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And when i get my new laptop, is it possible to transfer all my stuff from my old laptop to my new one??

Thanks for the advice.

-Tessa

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Laptops...... - June 6th 2011, 02:29 AM

I recommend looking at Dell and Toshiba netbooks. They aren't exceptionally powerful, but for less than $900 they're good computers. When you'll looking, regardless of what you get, I recommend that you make sure it has at least two USB ports and a CD drive (as some netbooks have neither).

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Tessa

Re: Laptops...... - June 6th 2011, 05:00 AM

Thank you for your reply, but I'm definatly looking away from netbooks, I have one right now and I hate it, it is much too small and impossible to type for assignments which is why I am looking for a better one, a bigger regular sized laptop between 15" and 17". I'm looking for good brands and good stores to buy from and also laptops that are good and can last a long time. But thanks again for your reply.

"You're never gonna spread your disease,So take your hands off of me"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Laptops...... - June 6th 2011, 03:57 PM

Few things to consider:
-Hard drive size: make sure that you find something that has more space than your current computer has (so that you have enough room to transfer data). Yes you can transfer stuff, but I would recommend using an external hard drive to do this (see if you have one or can borrow one from a friend). Also consider how much space you want on your computer

-Screen size: although 15"+ is nice for a bigger screen, consider where you will be taking your computer. Is it going to stay in your house or will you take it with you where you go? Are you willing to lug around something big? 15"+ get heavy and bulky so be careful! I have had a 13" and a 15" and I prefer the 13" because it is super easy to carry around but nice enough that I can still enjoy movies and such!

-Tech specs: if this is just a general use computer you don't really need to worry about upgrading your specs BUT always look at what the tech specs to make sure that you are getting something you want.

-There are many brands that you can go with. My suggestions are to look at what companies are rated pretty well, aren't super pricy, and have GOOD customer support (I know there are some companies that don't do much to help customers with problems etc). I'm not a huge PC person, but you can look at Lenovo as well as Dell and Toshiba

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Laptops...... - June 6th 2011, 04:40 PM

I have a Samsung I recently bought probably about 2 months ago. Over all I'm really happy with my purchased because I was looking for a good laptop for school my last model was a HP and it crashed with all my information in it not buying a HP ever again. I wanted to try I new brand (to me) I didn't want all the brands everyone has like Sony Void or Toshima. So I did I little research online and found the Samsung I currently have and I love it. It's really fast when starting up, the keyboard it really comfortable, battery lasts about 5+ hours, it's light so you can carry it around, 4GB of RAM, 500GB and a i3 processor which is enough for what I use it for. Overall I'm really happy with it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...=1218293981088

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Laptops...... - June 6th 2011, 05:20 PM

I also would never suggest an HP as mine was terrible. I currently have an HP and I love it. I've also heard good things about Levono; apparently my college last year offered one in their laptop package, and we're a tech school.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Laptops...... - June 7th 2011, 08:07 PM

I would suggest a Dell laptop...however, you may have issues with it, as mine crashed every other week for the first 14 months I had it.
Also, I would suggest having three USB ports instead of two ports, because you'll probably want one to hook up your printer.
As you have a lot of items you want to have space for on your computer, you should probably get a 4GB memory on your laptop.
I hope this helps!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Laptops...... - June 7th 2011, 09:01 PM

Anything but dell. Every dell laptop I have owned or met I have had to fix, get fixed or dump. Never again.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Laptops...... - June 7th 2011, 09:51 PM

I wouldn't recommend dell, they break regularly.
I have a HP which I quite like though and Toshiba aren't bad. ASUS are generally good value for money as well.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Laptops...... - June 8th 2011, 02:00 AM

Hp laptops would be my choice other then Mac of course  Im my house we have 4 Hp laptops ranging from 1-5 years old never had a problem with any of them. Then again i have had my Macbook pro for a good 3 years not a problem in sight.

Give Macs a chance go to an apple store and take a look around i didnt like macs at first neither. But then i got to play around with them for awhile and fell in love with the OS!

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonkin Send a message via MSN to Crimsonkin  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Laptops...... - June 8th 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECCALICIOUS! View Post
I also would never suggest an HP as mine was terrible. I currently have an HP and I love it. I've also heard good things about Levono; apparently my college last year offered one in their laptop package, and we're a tech school.
What are you talking about? First you said, "I also would never suggest an HP as mine as terrible." Then, right after that, you said, "I currently have an HP and I love it."

Contradictory much?

------------------------

Anyhow, back to subject, whatever laptop you are going to buy, be sure to buy them ON SALE, so you can save money and won't overpay for them. About more than 30% off WITH free shipping is a good deal. Don't go for anything less than that, unless the laptop is already cheap (in which case, over 20% and free shipping would be a nice deal).

Also, some places offers student discounts for colleges and university students. Sometimes your college or university also work with manufacturers to provide special discounts for their students. Try go to the electronic store of your campus and ask about that.

With luck, you may be able to combine the original discount with your student discount and enjoy an over 40%-discount price.

---------------------------------

As of TODAY (June 08, 2011), these two are pretty good deals, while still fill all your needs:
Lenovo G560 (0679-AJU)
Screen: 15.6" (that's about 1366x768 max resolution)
Processor: Intel Pentium P6200(2.13GHz) processor
RAM: 2GB DDR3
Hard Disk: 250GB
Other specs: Intel HD Graphics, DVD +/-R read and write, 6-cell battery (so about 3 to 4 hours after full charge), 802.11b/g/n , webcam built-in, numeric keypad, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Was: $449.99 USD
Now: $349.99 USD
That's about 22% or 23% off, plus free shipping!

End Date: Unknown
Click here to go to deal page.

Toshiba Satellite M640-BT3N25X
Screen: 14" (that's about 1366x768 max resolution)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2310M
RAM: 3GB DDR3
Hard Disk: 320GB
Other specs: Intel® Integrated Graphics, DVD +/- R read and write, 6-cell battery (so about 3 to 4 hours after full charge), 802.11b/g/n, webcam built-in, running WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Was: $819.00 USD
Now: $529.00 USD (with coupon code SAVEM640 )
That's $290.00 (35%) off, plus free shipping!

End date: June 13, 2011
Click here to go to the deal page.

In these two deals, I recommend the Toshiba Satellite one. It's below $900; it's 35% off. It suits all your needs, plus a little more. Again, look into student discounts. Ask around your college/university.

And if necessary, you can use the extra saved money (from the 35% off) to buy an external drive to store extra photos and musics.

---------------------

As for transferring "stuffs," could you please be more clear as to what you want to transfer? And how many Gigabytes will it be (just an estimate is good enough)?

Last edited by Digilodger; June 9th 2011 at 12:51 AM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Laptops...... - June 9th 2011, 08:26 PM

OOPS! I'm going back and editing it, I meant I hate Dells

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Laptops...... - June 9th 2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECCALICIOUS! View Post
OOPS! I'm going back and editing it, I meant I hate Dells
Thanks for bumping the thread, though! Seems like the OP wants to let this thread die so I didn't want to post another post (since I cannot edit my old one any more).

But since the thread has already been dug out of the graveyard, might as well post an update.

The following quote is from my post for the Computer for College thread (Original post here):

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidZN View Post

[T]his is a pretty hot deal today (June 09, 2011):

Lenovo B570 "Sandy Bridge" Laptop
15.6 inch display (1366x768 resolution); 4GB RAM; 500GB Hard Drive; Intel HD 3000 graphics; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS; VGA Webcam; DVD+/-RW; 802.11n WiFi; 6-cell battery (about 3 to 4 hours after full charge)

With Core i3 processor: $530 USD with free shipping (normally $899 USD)
With Core i5 processor: $557 USD with free shipping (normally $999 USD)

Coupon code: GOOGLESHOP

Deal expires on June 15, 2011 (or sooner)
Click here to go to the deal page (with instruction)

If you do choose to go with this deal (and if it applies to you, depending on where you live), then this is a pretty good deal!

This laptop will be good for pretty much everything you have listed in here, including your favorites games like Sims and Starcraft.

In the event when you want to play more intensive games like Portal 2 or Crysis 2, this laptop should be able to handle them, too. All for about $550 USD, which is about half of your expected price ($1000 USD).

(#14 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Laptops...... - June 10th 2011, 03:13 AM

I give props to the person who posted about the Mac stuff-I do agree that you should try a Mac at least once. By try I mean go into the store and mess around on it AND have an employee show you little things.
SINCE the price range is under 900, I would say look into refurbished computers as well.
Check here: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Notebook...me=PCs-Laptops
they have really cheap laptops!

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#15 (permalink)) Old
kostageas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Laptops...... - June 21st 2011, 02:48 PM

Anything but a mac? How about OLPC? Or, the original ASUS netbook? System 76? ZaReason?

You obviously want a Windows laptop, so be specific.

And what will you use it for? You don't need a muscle car for going to the grocery store, but an electric car won't cut it for a cross country trip that should take you 2 weeks, either.

Closed Thread