TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HealingAngel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Angie (or Ang)

Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 13th 2011, 11:16 AM

So... I wrote another question relating to this in the Friends and Family section but basically I'm just double checking to make sure that it is possible for my mom to do this...

I have a small problem at the moment... Let's just say I'm not supposed to be texting one of my friends anymore but... we truly are best friends. I mean honestly, I couldn't live without him. My mom told me that she would be checking the phone records online though because she can see which numbers I've texted and when. She threatened to take my phone away and ground me if I she does find his number but... I can't go all summer without speaking to my best friend. I just can't...

I have unlimited texting but is what she says true? Can she log on to our Verizon account and view the phone numbers I've been texting?

When You're At The End Of Your Rope...
Tie A Knot... and Hold On... <3
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
I think I kinda, sorta, maybe... mighttt just love him after all...
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
Settle precious, I know what you're going through,
Minutes before you got here, I was going to jump too...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 13th 2011, 11:45 AM

Is it pay as you go or contract? And is there an online account connected with it?
  Send a message via MSN to Thurineth Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 13th 2011, 06:19 PM

I don't have Verizon so I cannot say for sure. However, it's a safe bet that they do.

I have Sprint and if necessary, under "See All Usage," I can check the logs for all activities on my phone, including every single numbers that I've called and texted.

You can get around this, however.
  1. Open a Google account (if you haven't already).
  2. Go to Voice.Google.com and open a Google Voice account.
  3. Google Voice will let you choose a number; so pick a nice number that you would stick to in the long run (because changing number would cost $10).
  4. Link your current cell phone number with your Google Voice account.
  5. And you are done!

On the top left corner, you should see a Text button. Click on that and it'll allow you to text via your Google Voice account, which your mom do not have access to. See screenshot here.

You can also call your fried via your Google Voice account, too. If you have linked it to your current cell phone, you will be able to make calls via Google Voice directly from your cell phone, with no need of a computer; you can also receive text directly from your cell phone, too, with no need of logging into Google Voice from your computer. Of course, to do this, you need to make sure that you have set Google Voice to forward all calls, texts, and voice mails to your current cell phone.

------------

Same deal with your friend. You can tell him/her to create a Google Voice account and link his/her current cell phone number to it. Then set up the forwarding options.

This way, you can send your text from your cell phone OR Google Voice to your friend's new Google Voice number, and it will be forward directly to his/her phone. Your mom won't know.

-----------

Note: This is assuming that your mom doesn't have some kind of super psychic power, like some kind of ESP. If she does, sorry, you're screw

Last edited by Digilodger; July 13th 2011 at 06:25 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 13th 2011, 09:34 PM

I checked my online MyVerizon, but I don't think it's the same because mine is not the main account. I couldn't find anywhere she'd be able to see numbers, however, it's possible she'd be able to block your best friend's number from contacting your phone. It's also highly possible she has the ability to see who you talk to if she's the main account holder.

The phone company DOES have records of it, they also have records of what you say. Although, if she doesn't have that ability online, I don't know that they'd tell her. As far as I know, usually they don't release those records unless police are involved.

"'Colie, you should never be surprised when people treat you with respect. You should expect it.'
I shook my head. 'You don't know--' I began. But, as usual, she didn't let me finish.
'Yes,' she said simply, 'I do know. I've watched you, Colie. You walk around like a dog waiting to be kicked. And when someone does, you pout and cry like you didn't deserve it.'
'No one deserves to be kicked,' I said.
'I disagree,' she said flatly. 'You do if you don't think you're worth any better...'"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 13th 2011, 11:03 PM

I have a verizon phone and yes you can see the numbers in a log. I have checked them many times for example looking for a number I needed. It's like in the bill section and when you mom will pay the bill, she can click a link that takes her to the list of phone numbers. Also, she can easily call verizon and ask for a list of phone numbers to be billed to her.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 14th 2011, 12:14 AM

Yep. My mom used to do it all the time. She wasn't being nosey on purpose, I think...just curious and just checking to make sure we weren't getting overcharged. But sometimes she'd be like "Oh, who is this number?" and it'd really annoy me.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 14th 2011, 12:55 AM

I don't have Verizon, but here are some solutions:
AIM-you can send texts through AIM by sending to a number formatted as so +1<area code><number> for example, +18001234567 I use this a lot to send messages when I am on AIM. You can also enable forwarding to your phone-it sends under a different number, but the message tells you who it is from (for example I get mine from 265080 and the message will tell you +18001234567 then the message)

Using methods mentioned above

A free application to send texts from the web: there are a few of these, just read fine print on what information you have to fill out

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 14th 2011, 01:40 AM

Yes, Verizon does keep a record of all numbers you contact. They have to, in case the police need to snoop. Also, they do show them online. To see the numbers you've texted is actually really simple.
If she signs online, from the My Verizon section:
> Click Usage Details > Click View Messaging Details
From here she'd have no problem finding out who you've been texting. However, it only shows phone numbers, so unless she knew his phone number, she wouldn't know which one was him. Also, it's a list of sent AND received texts, so it will show all the other numbers you've texted as well.

Hope this helps, and stay out of trouble! Good luck.
xox

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe we’ll never know most of them.
But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 14th 2011, 12:17 PM

Damn it seems that this is probably an issue that you'd be better off discussing with your Mum and working out with her, try to make her understand that you still want to talk to your friend and to assuage any worries she might have.
It'd be better if you talked to her about it before she finds out from the bill...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Does Verizon keep records of the phone numbers you text? - July 14th 2011, 03:36 PM

Yeah, you can see numbers texted and called, and said times.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Closed Thread