TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dejaentendu0 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Liz

Linux internet issue? - July 28th 2011, 09:04 AM

Just a heads up, I love Linux, but I am in not way good at computers when it comes to these kinds of things. I'd ask my boyfriend to come over and help me, but he's a windows man all the way and hates me messing with my computer, so... If you can go easy on me and give as detailed instructions as possible, that'd be awesome. <3

So, I installed Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday afternoon. I set it up like normal. All was good. It connected to my router without an issue... but the thing won't connect to the internet.It just 'looks' for the page and then times out.
Now, I've been allllll over google all night - jumping back and forth between running my Windows 7 (currently on and currently has internet without any issues what so ever) and my Linux that has absolutely NO internet. Nothing I've tried yet has worked. /:
I can't install anything from the software manager because... well... no internet. And I tried downloading them from my Windows and passing them over to Linux, but that's failed me too.

I feel like an idiot, but I don't have much to work with. Just one computer running on Windows 7 and a broken Linux... and a phone that has been awesome as working as a SD card for files - although none have fixed my issue.
I also DO NOT have a Linux CD. I downloaded it from the site.

If you need details, I can get you them, but it's going to take me a bit with me having to switch back and forth.
Anyone know how to fix this? /:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Linux internet issue? - July 29th 2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu0 View Post
If you need details, I can get you them, but it's going to take me a bit with me having to switch back and forth.
Anyone know how to fix this? /:
Is it possible for you to connect your computer to the internet using an Ethernet cable?

If yes, try connecting your computer to the internet via Ethernet cable, THEN run Additional Drivers. You can find it in your Control Center (under Hardware Group), or you can search for it. (See screenshot here if you need.)

I just want to make sure that you're not missing any necessary proprietary drivers---your wireless drivers, to be more specific.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
EatenByAGrue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Chris

Re: Linux internet issue? - July 30th 2011, 12:53 PM

What architecture are you running? I had to reinstall my 64 bit OS twice before I got it to work. But when I installed 32 bit it worked immediately. I was able to replicate this a couple of times.

Oh and run this in the terminal

ping google.com

See if that returns anything

Last edited by EatenByAGrue; July 30th 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Closed Thread