TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 09:52 AM

I have a Toshiba laptop and though I've only had it for a year, the left click button has been a bit clicky for some time ~ it feels (just slightly) loose. A few days ago it very suddenly stopped working. The right click button and keyboard buttons still work fine, but the 'tap to click' function on my keypad won't work either, so honestly I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. I've been borrowing the mouse from my house computer while that was broken, but it's being fixed today so I have to give it back!! I don't particularly want to buy a mouse and have to bring it everywhere with me for my laptop either. Is there a way I can sort this out by myself or will I have to go and get it repaired?? (And would that be expensive?? :/ )

edit: I'm windows 7, if that's relevant, and also I can move the cursor with the touchpad no problem, I just can't get it to click on anything. I have to give the mouse back soon!!

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyway.

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud ~ Kanye West

Mistakes are minimized by experience and experience is maximised by mistakes.

Last edited by bitesize; August 30th 2011 at 11:00 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Just a taco with a mustache <3
Average Joe

Name: Sabreena

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 10:02 AM

That happens with mine... You have to try clicking it on the left side, not the right..That should help.

If you're feeling suicidal please call 1800-SUICIDE,you'll save your life. :]
<3 Demi Lovato <3 She's helped me with so much,just listen to her music,and you'll see why.
-My Twitter: @HugMeDemetria
*Smile! You're beautiful.*
  Send a message via AIM to Love.Peace.Happiness  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 10:10 AM

Yep, I've tried that!! I've tried clicking it at the bottom, at the top, at the left and right, really hard, really softly, really fast... which is starting to sound dirty, but it's true, and none of them help. Thanks anyway though.x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 11:36 AM

Any other replies?? Sorry to nag it's just obviously you can't do anything really without a left click so once I give the mouse back in the next couple of hours I won't be able to use my laptop at all....

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Yep, I've tried that!! I've tried clicking it at the bottom, at the top, at the left and right, really hard, really softly, really fast... which is starting to sound dirty, but it's true, and none of them help. Thanks anyway though.x
Actually, since it's "bitesize," you might want to try going hard . . . and going deep, lol!

Anyhow, jokes aside, here is a blind shot in the dark:

1. Visit your laptop's manufacturer website and download the latest drivers for your laptop's touchpad. Do not rely on Window's auto-detect feature.
I cannot give you details on this one (like the link to download the correct drivers) because I have no idea the manufacturer and the make model of your laptop. If you could please provide those info (for example, Dell Inspiron 1564), then we could locate the correct page then.

2. Go to Device Manager.
You can do this by going to Start ---> type Device Manager into the search box ---> select Device Manager. You can also hold down Windows key and hit R to activate Run; then type in devmgmt.msc

3. Find where it says Mice and double-click on that.

4. Find where it says Touchpad. Uninstall the current touchpad driver and install the one you've just downloaded.

5. See if that solves the problem.

----------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Any other replies?? Sorry to nag it's just obviously you can't do anything really without a left click so once I give the mouse back in the next couple of hours I won't be able to use my laptop at all....
You don't need a mouse to use Windows 7. You should be fine with only the keyboard, by utilizing keyboard shortcuts.

Alternatively, you can also use Windows 7's speech recognition feature as replacement for your mouse. Another way is to go to Accessibility Options or Ease of Access and activate the option to move the mouse cursor with your keyboard.

Last edited by Digilodger; August 30th 2011 at 04:14 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sheppy96 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mark

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 30th 2011, 11:01 PM

Darn it void you beat me to the driver suggestion I'm having the same problems with my graphics tablet 'sept I can click but not move the mouse.

"And I know that we will win again, it's written in the stars..." Within My Heart - Dead By April

Just PM me if you want somebody to talk to or to scream at

(#7 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - August 31st 2011, 01:51 PM

If it turns out its not the driver, or any sort of software fault, if you have all the bits of paper that came with your laptop and your receipt, it should still be under warranty, provided you bought it new .

Unless you've spilt anything on it or anything, give toshiba a ring, they'll pick it up and deliver it back to your house for free, or refund the postage if it is indeed a fault under warranty, and you'll get a free repair out of it.

Its also worth mentioning if you don't have the original details of your laptop, go to the shop you bought it from they should have the receipt details (easier to recover if you paid by card as opposed to cash, but you can still retrieve it if it was cash), and all warranty details should be on Toshiba's website.

Don't write an electronics item off as lost if it fails during the warranty period, in these days of consumer protection, especially a big company like Toshiba, they have to honour their warrantys they hand out, and, they have to hand them out!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - September 1st 2011, 02:16 AM

If that doesn't work you can try switching your click to your right one while you get it fixed.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: My left click button has stopped working?? :/ - September 1st 2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks guys!! It hasn't been sorted yet but my computer science student friend suggested doing a system repair, to see if anything I had downloaded recently might have affected it somehow. But I discovered that it should hopefully be a lot cheaper to get fixed than I thought so if it comes down to it I'll try and get it repaired locally.

Stupidly, it's not still under warranty, how annoying is that?? I only bought it on the 3rd September 2010, so naturally I assumed I had a few days to get it sorted, but oddly enough when I checked online I discovered my warranty ran out in June, which is annoying. But hopefully I'll get on top of it!!

Closed Thread