TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

View Poll Results: Would you rather read with a Kindle or a physical copy of the book?
Kindle 7 14.00%
Physical book 33 66.00%
No preference 4 8.00%
Other (explain below!) 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Offline
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dezmaid

Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 07:45 PM

There's a lot of technology out there that allows you to read books. But of course, there's also the physical copy of the book. Which do you prefer reading on, a Kindle or other eReader, or would you rather have the actual book in your hand? Explain why or why not. :P

For me, I see how a Kindle could be good on the go, but I'd rather have the actual copies of the books. At least if my technology breaks, I'd still be able to finish the book. I don't see myself ever getting a Kindle unless someone gives me one.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 07:52 PM

I'd use a Kindle if it was given to me but I'd never go out and buy 1 myself. Mainly due to the fact that I'm on a tight budget and i dont really read all that often anyway. I'm sure eventually we'll all have to convert to e-books and such but until then I'll stick with the real thing unless its given to me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 08:42 PM

I have a Kindle. It'll take some getting used to. But I have arthritis, and even I can tell the difference between carrying 50 paperbacks or 1 Kindle.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
And every color illuminates.
Outside, huh?

Name: Kate

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 08:42 PM

I like reading from an actual book.
  Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 08:51 PM

I prefer actual books, because I always end up writing notes and doodling all over the entire thing.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 08:52 PM

I prefer my Kindle.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 09:42 PM

Well my dad gave me a Nook for my 14th birthday back before the colour version was even heard of. And my dad also got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas this year. I'd have to say I prefer reading on the electronic ones for the reason it costs much less for the books and I have a tendency to lose them and god forbid a page gets folded or it pisses me off (OCD tendency there). I also like how at night with the Kindle Fire or I'd assume with a Nook Colour, you can still read if the lights are off because it's the same as any touch screen with a backlighted screen that you can adjust the brightness on.

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily. Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 09:50 PM

I have a nook, and I love it.

But I don't really like one better than the other. Sometimes I'd rather read the book, others I'd just rather have my nook.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Mercicle. Offline
Shadow takes all.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Chessmaid.

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 10:12 PM

I prefer reading an actual book. I like physically turning the pages, holding the book in my hands, that sort of stuff.

тнє вαттℓє'ѕ ωση, вυт тнєяє'ѕ ѕтιℓℓ ρσιѕση ιη συя νєιηѕ.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 10:45 PM

Book, screens wreck my eyes after a while. Also, this sounds kind of weird but books have been around for centuries and centuries.....I hate the idea that they might get swallowed up by modern technology.

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyway.

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud ~ Kanye West

Mistakes are minimized by experience and experience is maximised by mistakes.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 10:56 PM

I love my Kindle touch! I opted out of one with a back-lit screen. I got it so that i can relax with a book before bed and let my brain calm down.

Pros:
- The e-ink display is amazing.
- Lighter then most books
- A library in a small device
- The vast amount of free e-books on the net!
- Ebooks are cheaper

Cons:
- Does take some getting used to.
- Some people just like the feel of a real book
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Book, screens wreck my eyes after a while. Also, this sounds kind of weird but books have been around for centuries and centuries.....I hate the idea that they might get swallowed up by modern technology.
- The collecting aspect isn't their as much (A shelf of books)(A digital library of books)

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonkin Send a message via MSN to Crimsonkin  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
msfsteven Offline
Average Joe

Name: Steven

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 11:14 PM

I like the idea of reading on a device. I'm kind of a neat freak,
so it's good for space management. Also, since it is digital, the
books you pay for can never be destroyed or lost (Not speaking
for the device) and I don't even like flipping pages! LOL
  Send a message via Skype™ to msfsteven 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
ChangingTides Offline
Born me, No I can't change
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chance

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 11:22 PM

I like reading an actual book, Call me old fashioned but I like having a bookshelf filled with books c:

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 1st 2012, 11:41 PM

Kindles don't smell like books. You can't walk into a Kindle library and inhale the smell of pages.

Books for life.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 12:08 AM

It depends based on what type of book I am reading and how portable I want to be. When in a classroom, I'd much rather have a digital book reader (Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.) with all of my textbooks and everything--it take less space than a physical textbook, and also weighs much less. For pleasure though, I don't mind having a physical book--nice feel, still portable enough.

Chris (formerly Jazz Guy)
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
I love boys. Yes, I do. And I'm proud of that <3

Need a hug? Please take one!
Depression and Suicide Mod / Chat Mod / HelpLink Mentor / Buddy (in the past).
Member Since - 12/26/09

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

Here's a thanks to the really cool guy that helped me face fear and make a wonderful change in my life!
last updated on 4/14/12

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Offline
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dezmaid

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangingTides View Post
I like reading an actual book, Call me old fashioned but I like having a bookshelf filled with books c:
Oh, me too! My dad made me one when I was really little and then I have a littler one that was his when he was a kid. I need another bookshelf though.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 12:41 AM

I used to really hate those kindle book tablets. But recently, I had received one over the holidays. I am really addicted to it. I don't go a day without reading a book a from it. It is way more convenient that carrying a heavy book around.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 12:46 AM

We spend enough time staring at screens. I definitely prefer books.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 07:35 PM

I prefer real books any time - I have hundreds, and I love the way they look and feel and just the act of reading. That said, I recently got a koboVox because I moved to England and it's lovely because I've been able to "take" my books with me.

So I prefer books, but I'll use an eReader. Both have pros and cons, it's personal preference...

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
2 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 08:06 PM

Honestly? Books. But I had to get a Kindle as I have no room whatsoever for more books since I hate to throw them away. I'm gradually getting used to it. Was also good to use when I was in hospital for 3 months.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 10:17 PM

My dad has a Nook (The barnes and noble version of the Kindle) and he really enjoys it, but I kinda like holding the book, and probably if I had a nook/kindle, I would get distracted by the games on it and not get much reading done :P

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 2nd 2012, 10:48 PM

I just bought three (real) books today. Definitelyyyy books. <3

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyway.

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud ~ Kanye West

Mistakes are minimized by experience and experience is maximised by mistakes.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 4th 2012, 08:13 AM

I will always prefer books. I love everything about them: always having the actual copy, the smell, the font, the book cover, etc. I've borrowed my mom's Kindle before, but that was for a book that was easy to download but not something I was willing to buy.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 4th 2012, 08:55 AM

I like actual books, I wouldn't want to throw a kindle at an annoying sibling.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 4th 2012, 11:17 AM

I prefer actual books. You don't get the new book smell with a Kindle and with all technology, there is a chance it can break, freeze, the battery can die etc. whereas with an actual book, you don't face any of the problems and can finish the book without having to wait for it work again or for it to charge.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Intoxication Online
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 4th 2012, 11:32 AM

My mother gave me a Nook (same thing as the Kindle) for Christmas last year and honestly I've barely used it. I just prefer to have an actual copy of a book in my hands. I feel silly using my Nook outside of my home

~~~
HelpLINK Mentor & Project Advisor

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 4th 2012, 02:36 PM

I prefer an actual book. I like the feeling of having a book in my hands. I got an Android/Cruz tablet for Christmas that has kindle on. I like it but you can't smell tecnology like you can a book. Or turn the pages.

This is brutally beautiful.
So are we.
This is endless.
So are we.
We can heal this.
Signed,
Crater Face
P.S. See me for who I am.
We’ve got work to do.-Buddy Wakefield
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Princess Luna

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 7th 2012, 11:55 AM

I never used a kindle until a few days ago. They're surprisingly comfortable and feel natural to use.

It depends how big the book is. If it's just me reading To Kill a Mockingbird for college then I'd prefer an actual book as it's only 300 pages. I wouldn't really like carrying something with 1,000+ pages around.

I like stuff like kindles because you can fit SO much into a small space.

Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
kiwi_fish_bunny Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 19th 2012, 10:36 AM

i love technology, but books are so much easier to use, and dont kill my eyes as much!

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 19th 2012, 11:38 AM

Physical books! I love the feel of the page and the way it smells. I am a novel lover, I read em all the day. I live by "A novel a day keeps the doctor away" :P

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 19th 2012, 03:03 PM

I will always prefer books. For a start they're cheaper and you can borrow books instead of having to buy it. Kindles would hurt my eyes after a while and I look a screens enough already.

I don't think you can beat an actual book.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 19th 2012, 04:04 PM

I'm old fashioned...

I vow to read the printed words

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Staff On Leave

I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 01:35 AM

I really love reading the physical copies of books but unfortunately for me, they are usually multiple books to make one book so it is not really possible to have a whole book with me at one time with the physical copies.
I like e-readers and enjoy using my BrailleNote Apex for books because on it I can still read braille while having the book electronically which saves both space and allows me to continue with my Braille reading.
It was hard getting used to downloading all of my books electronically, but I am pretty much used to it now because I have had really no choice but to adapt to E-books due to school.

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a Hvulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home."

-- by jamie tworkowski (founder of TWLOHA)

HelpLink Mentor 1/27/12

Disabilities Forum Mod 10/13/12

LiveHelp Operator 5/21/2013

Mental Health Forum Mod 10/12/2013

PM or VM

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 01:55 AM

I'm a complete bibliophile, and have many shelves for my collections of books, but 'i use my kindle a lot too. I find, when I want to read at night and settle down the kindle is much easier to read because you can stay on one side (if you lie on your side) and read with ease. With a paperback I find i'm constantly having to switch sides to read a page comfortably. However, my kindle model ( 2nd generation) is VERY easy to break, I've already broken two so in that aspect it's a lot cheaper and easier to read a regular book.
In my overall opinion I don't think I could choose between the two, it's too convenient to switch and change.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 02:49 AM

Kindle app on iPad. Much easier to read multiple books. Always have my books with me just about anywhere and anytime I might want to read. And now a bunch of my textbooks are probably gonna be in iBooks. Perfect.

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn K.  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Masquerade. Offline
C'est la vie. ♥

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 03:50 AM

I love my Kindle, but there's something about reading actual books that I can't replace. I love the feeling of the pages. I love the smell of the book. I dunno. I'm just a nerd.

Buddy|Forum Moderator|Performance Committee
Articles Team|Social Networking Team|Newsletter Editor

(#37 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 03:55 AM

Kindle is cheap, light and you can have hundreds of books at your finger tips.

I also have some kind of anxiety against paper. The texture freaks me out for some reason.

So personally I say Kindle or eBook reader, but I do like regular books as well.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Lilypad. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.
Outside, huh?

Name: Rianna

Re: Would you rather read on a Kindle or in a regular book? - January 20th 2012, 09:57 AM

I've always read physical books. I absolutely adore reading, since I was younger and being a 90's kid (), my parents would always buy me actual books. I've never gotten out of the habit of reading physical books. Also, because I used to work in a book shop, this strengthens my opinion haha.

Closed Thread