TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Max_99 Offline
Average Joe

No Style b/c I lack self-esteem - July 31st 2013, 07:54 PM

Hey guys,
So I'm pretty frustrated. I have all these visions of adorable outfits to wear, but I never do wear them because I feel disgusting in them. For example, I love denim shorts, but when I wear them, my legs bulge and I feel gross. I find cute shirts to wear, but my stomach bulges out of them. I love the idea of wearing stuff like this:

But I end up dressing like this all the time:

I've always wanted to be the pretty, popular, in-style girl, but my self-esteem gets in the way. I see girls that are larger than me wearing adorable outfits and looking amazing, but I try to put myself in something similar and just cringe. I'm dreading back-to-school because I'm afraid that I'll just look like a hobo; I don't want that! Part of it, too, is that I lost all my hair. My best friend was diagnosed with Cancer, so I shaved my entire head in her honor and donated all my hair to Locks of Love. Now that my hair IS growing back, it's just a bushy afro. My boyfriend can't stand it and hates seeing pictures of me with short hair, and everyone else thinks I'm a man. *bangs head on random object* It's very frustrating and I don't know what to do. If anyone has advice to offer me, I would SO appreciate it. <3 You guys are amazing, thanks for always being there to help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: No Style b/c I lack self-esteem - August 5th 2013, 09:50 AM

Hi I'm pretty terrible about fashion advice but I just wanted to say that often people look just fine in the clothing they want to wear and it's the low self esteem that makes you think you don't look good, so if you want to wear those clothes you should!

The other thing to do would be to find out what your body shape is and get someone like a friend to help you find clothes that flatter it. Have you ever seen Gok Wan's programmes? Some of them are really good to watch if you don't like your body or feel like you hide behind your clothes.

Short hair is cute on girls! Also it's awesome that you did that for your friend and for a charity. Your boyfriend sounds kind of mean acting like that. :/

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No Style b/c I lack self-esteem - August 5th 2013, 06:03 PM

Well, you don't have to just totally change your style. I know I pretty much never wear sweat pants but I used to. My way to deal with it was to simply stop wearing sweats. Even if it meant I had to get rid of them. That way I couldn't hide behind my insecurity by not wearing my nicer clothes. And just make sure they fit. If your pants are going to be to tight of course you'll end up with a major muffin top. Just do things like finding jeans with a higher waist, that's what I've had to do cause otherwise the jeans will end up barely covering my butt (thus creating butt-crack central), most jeans were not designed for curvier girls, so even while I've lost a lot of weight it can still be a struggle, but you just need to find what fits so yeah, some jeans fit tighter around the butt and hips than others, find ones that are comfy and DON'T create a muffin top affect. And just buy nicer flowy tops, you can still totally wear those clothes. It's totally understandable that its hard to find stuff to wear when you are insecure about your body, but it can be done

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread