TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

Question A bit lost... - August 30th 2015, 04:57 AM

I don't really wear makeup except for on special occasions, but as I'm going to a new school and I have been more in touch with my feminine side lately, I kind of want to try wearing makeup regularly. I have a couple of questions, though, since I literally know next to nothing about applyin makeup.
1. This feels like a stupid question, but I have been doing research on the Internet and a lot of websites have been talking about how what eyeshadow colours you should wear depend on your eye, skin and hair colour. However, I know that it also depends on what the occasion is. I am going to attach a picture of myself (wearing concealer and powder, but nothing else) (also, I am planning ln plucking my eyebrows soon, so please don't judge my iggybrows. ...someone please get that reference...) and... basically I want to know what my guidelines should be for various occasions. I'm not that social so pretty much the only "parties" that I go to are family gatherings, but I'd also want to wear makeup to school and obviously still on big occasions. Um... because I never really wore makeup before, I kind of want people to notice that I am now wearing makeup, so I'd kind of like that to be obvious. (I don't really want to look like a stripper either, though.)
2. Judging my the picture, should I wear blush? I don't want to look like a doll, but I don't want to look like a vampire either. Well, what makeup products would you recommend in general?
3. Any advice for keeping eyeshadow on? It always seems to wear off after an hour.
4. Do you have any other advice?
Thank you so much for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.1 KB, 21 views)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: A bit lost... - September 2nd 2015, 05:29 PM

My personal opinion I think you look great just as is.

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

Re: A bit lost... - September 2nd 2015, 06:19 PM

There is a fine line between insecurity and wanting to wear makeup because it's fun. The case for me is the latter.

"When I'm in a pinch, you can save me, and when you're in a pinch, I'll be there for you. Friends."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: A bit lost... - September 2nd 2015, 08:54 PM

I think I was thirteen when I first started experimenting with makeup, and I was fourteen when I went from a natural look to something a little bit darker. I started out with light gold eye shadow (barely visible) and clear mascara so my eye lashes would hold. I didn't want the my eyes to look too dark yet and I wasn't allowed to use it by that point either.

Right now, I use a light brown/copper eye shadow because my eyes are green and it makes them pop. I also use black eye liner and mascara because I love the way it makes my eyes look. I will sometimes use foundation but it is very hot where I live at the moment so I haven't used it in a while. As for my lips, I don't add any color anymore. I've taken a liking to clear lip gloss but I mostly use chap stick as of now.

Since you're just starting out, I think you should use something simple. I personally don't use different makeup for different occasions. I wear the same thing all the time because it's easier and I feel most comfortable that way. Instead on focusing on different looks for different occasions, start out slow. I can't tell what color your eyes are in the picture; what color are they? Skin tone should also be considered in addition to eye color. There are a lot of charts and articles on this, so I think you should do some research on that. As for keeping it on longer, there are liquid eye shadows/eye primers that help it stick. Some companies have products for certain eye colors and it might be worth searching for in your area. I know I use some of Almay's (US) products for green eyes.

I suggest using a clear mascara for a while so you can get used to applying it and things like that. I usually do one eye, then do the other while the first one is drying, and I apply it again afterwards. If you decide to do eyeliner, I suggest using a crayon. Liquid can be messy and challenging to apply, and pencil can hurt your eye if you're not careful.

I don't think you have to wear blush or anything if you don't want to. I think you should focus one part of yourself at a time and work your way up to other things later on. If you do decide to wear blush, maybe you can do some research as to how to apply it. I don't wear it, so I can't give any advice on that.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
gloves123 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rashel

Re: A bit lost... - September 4th 2015, 02:40 AM

I only really have experience with eyeliner, but one trick that I find that really works well for keeping my eyeliner in tack all day is put a layer of primer on you eye lids, let's that dry before applying your eyeliner, and then ( with a brush) put a layer of baby powder over it all. There are more pricey options that are specifically made to put over your makeup, but I find baby powder works just as well, and it's super cheap
Hope I helped to some degree!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jimadams Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jim Adam

Re: A bit lost... - September 7th 2015, 11:41 AM

Makeup make a women perfect and stylist. I start doing makeup in my 20's. But really I feel better in my natural looks.

Closed Thread