TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brain-allergic zombie
Welcome me, I'm new!

my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 27th 2017, 08:44 AM

Hi
So I have been slowly getting my true style, its taken a while because my age etc. But last year i started wearing makeup and spunky earrings, high heels and a denim jacket with half of my head shaved. I loved my style, but i was judge even by mu closest friends. Recently i got some sweet dude-shoes, they were in the guys section, but they screamed me, so i got them. And i got a leather jacket too. Im just wondering is it too gangish to wear, i dont like being judged, and im starting to doubt my style. I still like it, but maybe i should grow out my hair...? Idk...

thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 27th 2017, 09:48 AM

If you like your style then there is no need to change it, especially if others are judging you. I'm wondering if those who are judging you maybe a little jealous that you have the confidence to change your style (even by shaving half of your hair) and be happy with who you are?

At the same time, how you dress or what you look like shouldn't matter to your friends or other people. You may have changed your style or preference in clothes/hairstyles, but you are still the same person and you do have the right to experiment and find things that work for you.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 27th 2017, 12:38 PM

If you like your clothes, there's no reason not to wear them. To hell what norms and other people tell you.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 27th 2017, 12:45 PM

Whether a person personally likes your style or not shouldn't matter and shouldn't be a source of making judgments on you. It is like bring mad at someone for ordering a pickles with your burger and the person behind you getting angry at you for that. Like they can order a burger too! And if they can't for whatever reason, that's not an excuse to project on you.

Keeping being who you are. You're not hurting anyone! If anything, you're setting an example of how people should be them self.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 27th 2017, 03:33 PM

It doesn't matter what other people think. If you like your style and are proud of it then wear what you want. I think being unique in your own style is a good thing. Why would you want to be like everyone else? As far as the shaved head. One side of my head is shaved and I see a lot of people with a half shaved head. I also have three different colors in my hair. So it is all about you and what you like. So my advice is just be you.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - February 28th 2017, 11:02 PM

Hey there,
Like everyone above has said, if you like you style stick with it. Your friends are entitled to their opinion but certainly have no right to yell at you.
About your hair, I would say if you think growing it back will help YOU then go for it. I was bald for a good 6 months because it made me feel good about myself.If keeping half your hair shaved makes you feel good, go for it.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
danh19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: daniel

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - March 2nd 2017, 09:17 PM

you should wear what you enjoy rather than what others think you should even if that is harder to do and what is to say

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - March 3rd 2017, 05:34 AM

it's your style, YOURS. therefore YOUR opinion of it should be the only one that matters.

dude, i get confused for a boy all the time based on my style. the thing is just not caring about what other people think, which is a learned skill. learn to rock it when people judge you.
when guys would say things like, "jess tryna be a dude over here" or "you look like a dyke" i would just start to say stuff like, "don't be mad i look like a dude and you don't."

your style is yours alone to judge, and it's good to experiment with things. i know shaving your head had to take a hell of a lot of courage, so be proud of yourself for figuring out who you are. don't let other people tear you down.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: my style - too goth-rockchick-tomboy? - March 3rd 2017, 11:06 PM

Since everyone has mentioned that your style is yours and nobody should judge you, I am not going to stress on it more. I read the word leather jacket and had to comment. I know a girl who rocks a leather jacket and every time I see her I crave one. I have tried it and I look funny. My personal sense of style zig-zags between girly girl and tomboyish. I buy clothes from both, the boy's section and the girls. That makes people more judgemental because I have been told to stick to one sense of style. Well, I am not doing that. I spent my high school trying to fit into other's fashion choices and failed miserably.

Don't let others define you, define yourself. I know it is hard to be judged but honestly, after a while, people stop bothering. Hopefully, after a while, they will start accepting your fashion style without making you feel bad about it. I have realised that people have to comment when someone changes something about themselves. Even if it is something as small as a haircut or starting to wear glasses, people comment. Let's not let get to us.

Good luck and take care. <3
Kav

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread