TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 8th 2009, 02:14 PM

i don't want to look preppy/girly, but i still don't want to look like a total slob. i'm the rocker/intellectual type. I'm on academic and debate team, so i'm a major nerd. i don't want to look overly emo or girly...i just see girls from my volleyball team and think they look so good, but i don't feel like i could ever look like that. they're too perfect. any stores that you recommend?

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 8th 2009, 06:20 PM

Really, I think my favorite thing to wear that makes me feel dressed up and I can usually get whatever look I want with a shirt with an over button up shirt that's unbuttoned. If that makes sense? It looks nice.

Really, just taking the time to see that things match (or way don't match is a style in itself as well), doing your hair, etc can help so much. You can look nice without being preppy.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 8th 2009, 07:54 PM

Whenever I have to do a speech or something that requires me to dress up, I always wear a sweater with a white blouse.
Something like this.
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Ad&AdID=509049

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 8th 2009, 10:36 PM

Hey,

I think you should wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. There is still a way of looking and feeling comfortable as well as looking good.
A nice pair of jeans that fit well can do the world of good.
A cute or funny t-shirt with a pair of jeans can always look good.
I'm sure if you go out and look through some shops you will find somewhere than encorporates what you are like and you feeling a little bit more girly.

I hope you find something you really like, Paige xox

(#5 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 10th 2009, 02:54 AM

items- jeans, converse, v-necks, cardigans, vans, hemp necklaces, solid t's and tanks, fun jackets, intrestingly designed clothing, highwaited skirts, ect...
places to shop- target, old navy, boutiques, urban outfitters, ect...

Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 10th 2009, 03:36 AM

You sound just like me... a lot of my style is simply a nice different kind of shirt and a pair of jeans. Right now I'm wearing a white scarf that hangs pretty low and a hoodie. But It's all pulled together with my lip ring and black thick rimmed glasses. I'm a super nerd, too.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 10th 2009, 12:44 PM

I'm not a girly girl, but I do like to look good. My favourite thing is a blazer, mine's got loads of roses on it, but just a plain one is awesome too. Team with with a casual tee, or band tee since you're a rocker chick, a pair of jeans and you're sorted!
Also, long jumpers with jeans I find very smart, but not too girly.
Wear what you feel comfortable in, if you feel self conscious, don't wear it again

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
-wwhitney Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 13th 2009, 12:52 AM

A super comfy outfit that looks great but isn't preppy that I love is:
- flats
- dark wash jeans (slimer fit)
- any type of top (I like one that's cut like a tank top)
- long sleeved, longer length cardigan
- you can add a scarf or a longer necklace with that as well to add a bit of detail to it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 21st 2009, 06:28 AM

Yes. I know you're a chick. And I realize I'm a dude, lol

BUT!

What my girlfriend usually does is just wears an oversize v-neck (with a tank top underneath to cover the love guns xD) and leggings. Normally with a belt at the waist to keep the womanly figure.

She also rocks the high leather boots or flats, depending on her mood.

Naw mean?

Also, this is just to give you ideas...

I rock the darker skinny jeans (greys, blacks, dark blues) with (normally) a white v-neck and a button vest (normally left un-buttoned). The massive collection of shoes match whatever colour vest/hoodie i'm wearing.

Throw in a black beanie and you'll look sexy fo sho!

Oh! And as far as stores go, I tend to stick to banana republic, gap, h&m, american apparel, urban outfitters, and hot topic.

My band t-shirts I just get at shows or as gifts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
-Mind-Freak- Offline
Not a n00b

Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 21st 2009, 11:01 AM

Rocky: If you can spend some money on clothing try levi's they have awesome jeans and jackets. You could also try H&M, Forever 21 and Wet Seal. Also primarks or vintage stores have amazing jackets and dresses, just make sure to give them a GOOD wash! For the more intelectual look you could try a nice scarf from Zara or some glasses, they can be prescription and still look fashionable! it's just about browsing around and trying what YOU like, thats what I do, and don't worry about picking up like 20 things and trying them on, you're the costumer, you can try on whatever you like, take your time and happy shopping!

21:15 [Cromwell] Can I go brokeback mountian style?
21:15 [Cromwell] xD
21:15 [Cromwell] Wait.
21:15 [Cromwell] No.
21:15 [Cromwell] That's not what i wanted to say.
21:15 [Cromwell] -.-
21:16 [Cromwell] xD
21:16 [Cromwell] FML.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
-Mind-Freak- Offline
Not a n00b

Cool Re: is there a way to look "nice" without being preppy? - November 21st 2009, 11:08 AM

By the way, if you want any inspiration I love this website www.lookbook.nu
Big Bags are always useful and look glamorous, also check out the Peter Pan shoes, comfy and fashionable
Shirts with sayings on them always make a statement, wether it's a band shirt, a cause shirt or just some random saying shirt. If they're too big, or don't have the best shape (often happens with American Apparel shirts, they're too manly) you can always cut them off!
And finally never underestimate the power of a good jacket, it's something you will wear a lot and you want something comfortable that you can mix and match with your wardrobe.
Since I don't know your location, I don't know if this will work but something me and my girlfriends do in London is wear a simple, baggy "summer" dress (short dress but not too short) with a jacket/blazer/coat a BIG knitted scarf wrapped around our necks, some peter pan shoes and a really big bag. We dress it up with necklaces and bracelets too -and- if the weather is too cold we simply add a pair of thick leggins and we're done! Perfect for grabbing some Starbucks and walking round the city, for school I wear skinny dark ripped jeans with tops and vintage blazers. Boots are great too. I also love matching my reading glasses (Emporio Armani prescription glasses) with messy bed head hair and a big scarf, it looks cute but geeky!

21:15 [Cromwell] Can I go brokeback mountian style?
21:15 [Cromwell] xD
21:15 [Cromwell] Wait.
21:15 [Cromwell] No.
21:15 [Cromwell] That's not what i wanted to say.
21:15 [Cromwell] -.-
21:16 [Cromwell] FML.

Last edited by -Mind-Freak-; November 21st 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Closed Thread