TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 03:02 PM

So i have a university interview coming up. So what to wear? Nothings been mentioned, so presumably it will be formal.

Was planning, to have my hair straight, in a pony tail. with a little down the front to make it look softer. A little makeup, more to make it look like i bothered, as in mascara, blusher, lipgloss.

Then a grey pencil skirt, but it's slightly wavy at the bottom giving it softer impression. Wear this with a top, it's a white shirt, with a grey bodice bit, but it's quite low cut, yet fitted so nothing is visible even if i bend over. Then black tights, and black heels, but more flats with wedge than heels.

What cardigan? Like pastel blue? Or black shortsleeves? Then what bag?

Am i ok to wear a necklace. I have a small cross which i like to wear, should be ok?

So yeh, bit nervous. Just checking this sound ok. not to formal or informal. Just perfect

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I've been here a while

Name: Paige

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 03:19 PM

Hey Maia,

Good luck on your interview!
I'm sure what you've decided to wear is going to look just right, of course it will be okay for you to wear jewellery as long as it's not something that stands out too much, a small cross would be minimal but pretty. I would personally go with a blue cardigan.

Stop stressing so much, it will go fine for you I'm sure!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 03:38 PM

Thanks paige. I'm a major stresser, with no fashion sense. got my sister to pick out top and skirt to make sure they go together.

Just have no idea how formal the interviews actually are

(#4 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 03:51 PM

Hey there,

Your outfit sounds good. As long as you look smart then there will be no problems with your outfit. I'm with Paige on the blue cardigan front and keep the jewellary simple. Also, don't go over the top on make-up, just put a little of what you have suggested on and it will be fine.

I hope everything goes ok for you. Remember to smile!

Take care,

Vicki

Live on love.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 08:39 PM

Oh, oh! I wrote this! It's about dressing for interviews. :] Maybe it could help: clickie.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 08:58 PM

Well I'm going to go against everyone else here because I'm awkward like that But personally I think it is a little too formal. It depends really on you as a person and how you feel in what you are wearing. Like what your describing sounds like an officy outfit for work or a serious job interview but this is a uni interview.

I think your top sounds really nice but personally I would find the skirt a bit too formal, but again this is just me! In my interview I wore a pair of black trousers and a nice coat and I was accepted

Ah, I guess this is just my opinion.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Interview clothing - January 27th 2009, 09:19 PM

I'm going to agree with Jess.. I came to the interview wearing cute flats, nice jeans (with a little raggidy on the bottom, oh how my mom hated me for that rag), a modest, well-cut tee and a pretty fitted blazer. It wasn't formal, but it was very natural to me. I came into the office and there were all these dolled up girls waiting in the chairs, and they were dressed kinda officey-nice and they looked really uncomfortable-- and I was like confidence.. yesss

I think, most importantly, you need to wear something that gives you confidence and comfort without looking too dumpy. Maybe wear the pretty blouse and nice shoes, but go for black pants instead? I would feel a little shaky in heels and a pencil skirt if it wasn't something I wore everyday (.. if only it wasn't sigh)

Less formal, maybe.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Interview clothing - January 28th 2009, 07:03 AM

The thing to remember is its always better to go too formal than too informal. Also, try to make it look like you haven't been too fussy about your appearence, things like false nails give off the message of someone who spends too much time on there appearence, which isn't encouraging when they are wanting you to work. Make sure everythings nice and simple but smart, and remember to take breath mints, but avoid using perfume, that gives off a bad impression. With the make up, keep it minimal, don't use foundation thats too dark etc. because that gives off a kinda chavy impression, and thats not what they are looking for. Good luck with your interview, let me know how it goes!

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Interview clothing - January 28th 2009, 04:18 PM

I have no smart jeans/trousers. I would feel comfortable in the skirt, as i wear it quite often...it's not fitted, but kind of soft and curvy.

But it does have quite an officy appearance. I thought thats what they expected. So maybe the top, with smart jeans?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Interview clothing - January 28th 2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsecretsx View Post
So i have a university interview coming up. So what to wear? Nothings been mentioned, so presumably it will be formal.

Was planning, to have my hair straight, in a pony tail. with a little down the front to make it look softer. A little makeup, more to make it look like i bothered, as in mascara, blusher, lipgloss.

Then a grey pencil skirt, but it's slightly wavy at the bottom giving it softer impression. Wear this with a top, it's a white shirt, with a grey bodice bit, but it's quite low cut, yet fitted so nothing is visible even if i bend over. Then black tights, and black heels, but more flats with wedge than heels.

What cardigan? Like pastel blue? Or black shortsleeves? Then what bag?

Am i ok to wear a necklace. I have a small cross which i like to wear, should be ok?

So yeh, bit nervous. Just checking this sound ok. not to formal or informal. Just perfect
Even if you don't wear glasses. Statistics show that if you wear glasses you are more likely to get the job. I wear glasses and I've already had two jobs. Ha ha.

You want to present yourself as a lady, not a tightwad. Show color, maturity, and flair. Confidence. I don't think a pencil skirt is good... Try a nice pinstripped pair of suit pants?
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Interview clothing - January 29th 2009, 11:17 AM

I have to admit i was no where NEAR as smart for my interviews.....

i would really really really say don't wear heels of any sort every interview i had we got dragged around the uni and up and down stairs, across gravel and stuff...flats would just be so much easier, you don't want to be like hmmm i can't walk across that

on another note and i no this sounds stupid but what are you applying for? because like for my history interview i wore a black pinafore and white t-shirt but for my engineering one (what i'm doing) i wore jeans and a shirt because we had practicals

it is most! important that you are comfortable and happy in what you are wearing because if your not it will come across

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Interview clothing - January 30th 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen fairy View Post
I have to admit i was no where NEAR as smart for my interviews.....

on another note and i no this sounds stupid but what are you applying for? because like for my history interview i wore a black pinafore and white t-shirt but for my engineering one (what i'm doing) i wore jeans and a shirt because we had practicals
Social Work

So Deff go for flats....still undecided what to wear on bottoms. I've heard very mixed. Some people say go formal business like. Others say dont. I'm comfortable in the skirt. It's not exactly pencil, as its not fitted, and kinda floaty and the bottom. Glasses are good idea. Shall wear them

(#13 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Interview clothing - January 30th 2009, 10:23 AM

think about weather as well, floaty skirt + walking around a campus + wind = hello flashing you're potential teachers, could be a bit embarrassing....just things to think about but i suppose i'm very very pro trousers lol but thats just who i am

(#14 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Interview clothing - January 30th 2009, 11:52 PM

H&M usually has very cheap smart looking trousers. Emergency stop-shop? Just plain old nice fitting black/grey/navy/beige/pinstripe. Bring your blouse and flats and probably your sister.. I bet you'll figure something out.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Closed Thread