TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 12:31 AM

Reasons for quitting or using less make up:

Makeup is expensive: you never just buy the thing. You need a brush to put it on, a make up remover to get it off, a scrub to get the makeup remover off, a lotion once your skin gets all dry, a soap to get the lotion off... etc. It's expensive. And if it's cheap and goes on your skin, it breaks you out more.
Makeup gives me an excuse to live unhealthily: Bad skin? I use make up. Dark eye circles? I use make up. Looking kinda shitty? I use make up.
Makeup takes up a lot of time and space: I hate removing my face while my boyfriend is waiting for me to come to bed. Lame. Also, all those tubes in the bathroom and in toiletry bags... clutter. Mess. Spills. Melts.
Make up has a lot of random shit in it: Did you know that Johnson and Johnsons (if you know me, this is my favorite brand ever!) baby soap has carcinogens in it? Ok, did you know that there is lead in lipstick? Yikes? (http://www.safecosmetics.org/article...t=type&type=33)

Guilty, uh, pleasures:

Shampoo and Skin Care: I know that you can supposedly get by without shampoo but I live in the city. And I live around heaters and air conditioners, and I think I have to use shampoo and conditioner. Maybe if I lived in a tent in the forest, I would give it up. As for my face, I think I need to take really good care of the skin on my face because it's really dry in the winter, so I just need soap, a moisturizer, and maybe a super moisturizer or something.
Mascara and lipstick. Sorry dudes, I can vow to take care of my skin and my face but I'm not gonna lie... these two things make me feel nice and feminine, and it's just fun. I don't think I can do this part. Maybe 2011? ... ok? It's just like a little chocolate?

Steps I'm taking:

Throwing away my old makeup: I threw away everything I haven't used in the past few months. It's probably old and icky anyway, and it's clutter. And I should throw away everything more or less. Lol, because I won't be using it.
Giving up any beige stuff: There will be no skin colored make-up on my skin. Even under my eyes. Even if I break out. Nope. I guess if I get a pimple before a big important event I will have to cave and borrow some, but I'm just going to hope that does not happen.
Finding "Safer" alternatives to the things I like to use:
Skin Care: Ok, so apparently Clinique hasn't signed its compact for safe cosmetics. But I really like Clinique and I was thinking about going on the full 3 part system when I coughed up the money... but I guess I'm going to put that on hold until they sign, and go to my health food store and find (temporary) replacements for my Johnson and Johnson soap and lotion. Any suggestions? I would like it to be a company on the list of companies that kind of care about what's in them.
Hair Care: I decided to give up everything but shampoo and conditioner, and the ones I am using currently are on the safe list. Whoop!
Lipstick and Mascara: Current mascara is safe on list. Current and favorite lipstick is not (damn it took forever to find it). I will look around for a safe alternative because I lick my lips and ingesting lead unnecessarily isn't good.. but yeah. Need to do that... eventually. Maybe I'll wear less lipstick.
Drinking more water: good for my body, mind, and skin.
Sleeping more:good for my body, mind, and skin.
Trying to stress out less: ....good for my body, mind, and skin.
Getting used to my naked face: good for.. when I'm not wearing make up.

So I totally realize that this thread is not the deepest more philosophical, important thing ever. Yes, its make-up. Hi, welcome to fashion and style.

Would any of you guys consider a less make-uppy 2010?

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Last edited by St.Vincent; January 8th 2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: emphasizing the whole it's dangerous thing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 02:57 AM

Also, I found this DATABASE immensely helpful in learning about what I'm putting on my body and face. I think it might be a little scare tactic-y, but it's good information.

Nothing that I use save for Rosebud salve scores a score of 0 for toxicity, I think.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 03:04 AM

Cheers to that. I seriously want to be make up free in 2010.
Nice post by the way.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 03:31 AM

Good for you Edna! I think girls these days wear way too much makeup...they should be more comfortable in their own skin. And as you mentioned, it's healthier to not add all that stuff into your pores and such. And definitely a money saver

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:39 AM

i hardly ever wore make-up in the whole of 2009, usually because i wasn't well and had no reason to slap it on.. and my skin improved a crazy amount! my skin is like almost blemish free now and when i used to pile on the make-up i used to break out all the time.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
alonealways Offline
^.^
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:52 AM

I hate make-up but it's necessary for shows so I guess I cave when I use it for that. But otherwise I'm all natural all the time and I find I have healthier skin then the people who use make-up. (:

But I can't imagine going without shampoo. :/ Bleh.. that's like brushing your teeth with no toothpaste. "

(#7 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:54 AM

I also thought it might be interesting to share with you guys some toxicity ratings for make-up I'm swearing off of for this year. Meet some stuff in my throw out pile:

Chapstick Classic. Toxicity rating: 8/10. Ok, I've been using this all my life. [Source]
Stila Major Lash. Toxicity rating: 6/10. [Source]
Clinique Long Last Lipstick. Toxicity rating: 6/10 [Source]
Clinique High Impact Mascara. Toxicity rating: 7/10... ok this was my favorite mascara. It comes off with just warm water. Only, it has tons of nasty stuff in it.. [Source]
Clinique Blushing Blush. Toxicity rating: 7/10. Really? A blush? Why should a blush have ingredients linked to cancer and reproductive toxicity? [Source]
Clinique Superbalanced Foundation. Toxicity rating: 6/10. Bye bye foundation. [Source]
Clinique Quick Eyes Eye Liner. Toxicity rating: 5/10. [Source]
Dior DiorShow Mascara. Toxicity rating: 8/10... even 25 dollar mascara is toxic. Kind of disappointed in Dior here [Source]
N.Y.C. Long Wearing Nail Enamel. Toxicity rating: 7/10. [Source]
Clinique Different Lipstick. Toxicity rating: 5/10. I guess it's different because it's 1 point less toxic? [Source]

I'm sorry to say I threw out more stuff than this. Even fragrances have toxicity rating above 5 and 6. I can't tell if this rating stuff is for real, though. If it is, then man, make up is terrible for you. And so are most cleansers. I'm having such a hard time finding a soap with a rating of 2 or below that they sell at the nearest Whole Foods, this is going to be such a challenge.

This is really sad for me because I feel so misinformed. Johnson and Johnson soap professes that it's the #1 choice for hospitals, but plain old baby lotion has a toxicity rating of 6. Expensive things have high ratings, "organic" things have high ratings. Makes me worried and happy, I guess, that I'm swearing off of it.

Do you guys think it's as big a deal as they make it out to be? And if it is, why don't we hear about it?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
I also thought it might be interesting to share with you guys some toxicity ratings for make-up I'm swearing off of for this year. Meet some stuff in my throw out pile:

Chapstick Classic. Toxicity rating: 8/10. Ok, I've been using this all my life. [Source]
Stila Major Lash. Toxicity rating: 6/10. [Source]
Clinique Long Last Lipstick. Toxicity rating: 6/10 [Source]
Clinique High Impact Mascara. Toxicity rating: 7/10... ok this was my favorite mascara. It comes off with just warm water. Only, it has tons of nasty stuff in it.. [Source]
Clinique Blushing Blush. Toxicity rating: 7/10. Really? A blush? Why should a blush have ingredients linked to cancer and reproductive toxicity? [Source]
Clinique Superbalanced Foundation. Toxicity rating: 6/10. Bye bye foundation. [Source]
Clinique Quick Eyes Eye Liner. Toxicity rating: 5/10. [Source]
Dior DiorShow Mascara. Toxicity rating: 8/10... even 25 dollar mascara is toxic. Kind of disappointed in Dior here [Source]
N.Y.C. Long Wearing Nail Enamel. Toxicity rating: 7/10. [Source]
Clinique Different Lipstick. Toxicity rating: 5/10. I guess it's different because it's 1 point less toxic? [Source]

I'm sorry to say I threw out more stuff than this. Even fragrances have toxicity rating above 5 and 6. I can't tell if this rating stuff is for real, though. If it is, then man, make up is terrible for you. And so are most cleansers. I'm having such a hard time finding a soap with a rating of 2 or below that they sell at the nearest Whole Foods, this is going to be such a challenge.

This is really sad for me because I feel so misinformed. Johnson and Johnson soap professes that it's the #1 choice for hospitals, but plain old baby lotion has a toxicity rating of 6. Expensive things have high ratings, "organic" things have high ratings. Makes me worried and happy, I guess, that I'm swearing off of it.

Do you guys think it's as big a deal as they make it out to be? And if it is, why don't we hear about it?
wow no wonder my mum keeps telling me to ditch my chapstick and use the nivea one instead. hmm.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 05:15 AM

Well, if you're using the Nivea SPF 30, it has a toxicity ranking of 4. If it's the Nivea SPF 4, it's a toxicity ranking of 7. [Source]

The only thing I have used on my lips that has a toxicity of 0 is rosebud salve and plain old Vaseline

So basically, I'm trying coconut oil as a moisturizer because I had some at home and it's botanically derived and has a toxicity rating of 0. I have no idea what to use for soap yet, but I figure I'll figure it out at wholefoods, armed with my cell phone browser.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:27 AM

Yeah and I think current lipstick and mascara (rated 5 and 4, respectively) are going on a hiatus right now. Really, too much toxic shit in my stuff for me to handle ingesting my lipstick

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:

What a coincidence I just bought I Chapstick Classic today... I actually have it here next to me. I would of never guessed it was so bad
I just wasted $4 in something I'm about to thow out...

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 07:48 AM

Good for you! I'm always makeup free Except for concealer...and....shampoo? Is that even really considered a makeup product? I think that one falls under good hygiene

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#13 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 10:54 AM

I would love to have the confidence to not wear foundation etc. My skin is blotchy, I have dark circles under my eyes, spots everywhere. a few scars on my face.
I wear makeup just so I have the confidence to leave the house in the morning

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#14 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:13 PM

Woop! Good luck with this.
I'm make-up free about 99% of the time.
And even at that my skin is terrible, and when I wear make-up, it's atrocious.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 04:53 PM

I never know if I use a 'lot' of make up. Granted I wear it everyday, but I only wear the basics e.g. concealer, powder, mascara, done. I don't know whether I'll be able to have a make up free 2010. I'd want to, but I have ridiculously huge bags from working ridiculous hours. Good for you though, Edna!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I never know if I use a 'lot' of make up. Granted I wear it everyday, but I only wear the basics e.g. concealer, powder, mascara, done. I don't know whether I'll be able to have a make up free 2010. I'd want to, but I have ridiculously huge bags from working ridiculous hours. Good for you though, Edna!
I think it might be easier for me to give up because I have literally been too busy with my work to even put on make up for the past semester, but one of the things I want to change in lieu of getting rid of my concealer is how much sleep I get. I need to sleep more.. and my work load isn't getting any less. Cheers to an [almost] no life 2010, because I'm going to be sleeping

Also, looking up the toxicity levels on the make-up I did use was like a wake up call to me.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Name: Helen

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 05:21 PM

I'd love to be able to do this too but I already have terrible confidence.
If I got rid of make-up I'd never leave the house.
Maybe next year; I need my make-up too much...

Good luck with the no make-up resolution!
and good luck with finding 0 toxicity stuff

Forgot to mention: I do only wear a little foundation and eyeliner anyways

I'm medicated, how are you?

"Nothing's perfect but it has to be someday..."
-
Craig Owens

www.operationbeautiful.com <3

PM/VM me whenever

Last edited by Helen...; January 8th 2010 at 06:20 PM.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:06 PM

I think it's great you feel comfortable in doing this! Some people just can't face going without make up. I always thought it was a bit stupid when I saw women who were just doing their shopping round asda but were caked in make up. Most of the people at my school have orange faces so it reminds me to not put too much foundation on if I am going to wear it

I can take it or leave it but I'd never get rid of it all in case I feel like wearing it. I only really wear mascara and eyeliner usually unless I'm going somewhere special.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
I only really wear mascara and eyeliner usually unless I'm going somewhere special.
The everyday is probably the hardest part for me. I really love lipstick and I love mascara. They make me feel sexy and feminine, and it really was like whatt whoa when I read that my like, "natural rice bran mascara" or something had all these terrible crap in it, and my clinique lipstick had lead. Lead in lipstick, obviously, is going to make me stop because if I support lead-free water in schools, and there's so much less lead in water.. then why the hell would I voluntarily lipstick toxins on my.. mouth?

The mascara though, it has toxins only related to allergens pesticides bioaccumulation and.. ok I want to make it sound not that bad but ah, damn. I love mascara, and I love my mascara, but in the end I have nice eyelashes anyway and they'll have to do.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:28 PM

Good for you Good luck with it all. Many women today where ridiculous amounts of makeup and its pretty gross to think about all the things you're getting in your pores and body. Honestly I've never really thought about what is in my makeup too much but I guess we shouldn't just assume it's safe and such. Personally I think I'm going to continue w. my crazy addiction to chapstick but good for you for going for a makeup-free 2010! =) I think I'm sticking to my occasional use of concealer and mascara.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:41 PM

I can't be bothered with makeup 99% of the time
But now I have an excuse not to wear it
"I don't wear make-up, Edna says it's got icky stuff in it!"

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:45 PM

Ooooh; Edna, do you know of any make-up companies in the UK that have low toxicity?
I kinda need to wear a little make-up to have the confidence to go out but I don't wanna use icky, toxic crap. xD
I searched the 'net but couldn't find any companies that sell it in the UK. Maybe I just suck at using Google aha.

-
Craig Owens

PM/VM me whenever

(#23 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen... View Post
Ooooh; Edna, do you know of any make-up companies in the UK that have low toxicity?
I kinda need to wear a little make-up to have the confidence to go out but I don't wanna use icky, toxic crap. xD
I searched the 'net but couldn't find any companies that sell it in the UK. Maybe I just suck at using Google aha.
I wish this wasn't so complicated, but to be honest I don't have a good answer for you. A good way to check what you got is by entering it in this database and seeing what it says. Realistically, it looks kinda hard to get a toxicity "0" lipstick or mascara, because often the vendors are fancy shamncy organic freaks that sell really expensive stuff and only on the internet because, uh THERE'S NO MARKET...

But if you're willing to do your research, you can try to minimize the toxicity ratings of your makeup by checking before you buy. There isn't too much of a correlation, I know, at least in lipstick and mascara between cheap price and icky... but good luck finding the stuff.

I also want to say that just because it says Toxicity 3 or whatever, you should click on the product and see the data-gap. Often it's like, really high, in the 80-90%.. this means that researchers are doing a lot of speculation on how bad the stuff is. So, you have to go by your faith, on this. Is it as bad as they say? Worse? Better? We don't know yet.

(The thing is, I don't want to be funding companies that use ingredients of such questionable.. safety. I really wish there was more research being done, though I understand how difficult it is to analyze the toxicity of something, and of course, it's probably tested on animals... kind of ironic that I used to check my make-up makers to make sure they weren't testing on animals, but now I realize that... it's a different situation.)

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 8th 2010, 07:01 PM

Okayyy
I shall look on there; thankyouuu

-
Craig Owens

PM/VM me whenever

(#25 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 9th 2010, 03:57 AM

Mm guys I think I'm allergic to something I've been trying to use to replace my soap and moisturizer. Which is strange, I haven't been using anything to radical, but I suppose anything could be an allergen.

Sigh. Maybe I need to visit my dermatologist. My face stings.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 9th 2010, 10:09 AM

Just change what you're using to something else?

Great thread by the way. I've stopped wearing make up to college but I'll confess it's hard to give it up all together. hopefully if I see an improvement in my skin I'll be more motivated!!

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 9th 2010, 10:25 AM

I have never worn make up as an everyday thing. I am very pale and make up made me look orange, even the palest foundation I could find was too dark, so I just avoided it. Also I would never have time to mess about with make up in the mornings before school and would rather have an extra 15 minutes in bed that get up to put on make up.

There was one point when I wore foundation to hide my spots but then the make up gave me more spots anyway so I gave up on that quite quickly.

Now if anything I will wear some mascara to school but nothing else.
If I am going out I will wear mascara, eye shadow, lip gloss or lipstick and a bit of blusher and that is it
(Even then my lip gloss usually wears off quite quick and I can never be bothered stopping to re apply it every 10 minutes so that doesn't last long)

So yeah I'll stick with the pale and interesting look

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 9th 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Mm guys I think I'm allergic to something I've been trying to use to replace my soap and moisturizer. Which is strange, I haven't been using anything to radical, but I suppose anything could be an allergen.

Sigh. Maybe I need to visit my dermatologist. My face stings.
I think you should try something else. And if not then go back to what you were using before
I know youre making a new start, but allowing yourself to go back to one old thing for a genuine reason wont be bad.

Just make sure you stick to the rest. And well done for doing it

I tried to do the opposite a couple of years ago... I never wear make up and everyones always mean to me about it. I couldnt keep it up though lol wish I could, maybe Ill try again one day...

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 9th 2010, 05:00 PM

As for Soap and stuff, you said things about that safe list. I didn't see this on the safe list, but Dove products are amazing for your skin and hair...and I love Dove because like 10% or whatever of the profits go towards self esteem workshops and promotions for girls...and they just make me feel beautiful because their goal is to find beauty in EVERYONE.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 10th 2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
As for Soap and stuff, you said things about that safe list. I didn't see this on the safe list, but Dove products are amazing for your skin and hair...and I love Dove because like 10% or whatever of the profits go towards self esteem workshops and promotions for girls...and they just make me feel beautiful because their goal is to find beauty in EVERYONE.
I'm not really a big fan of dove, for no good reason. I love their ad campaigns, though. And their chocolate. Is dove chocolate the same brand as dove soap? Because they used to have those cute wrappers with things written in them

But, I did look dove up in the cosmetics database, and nothing they have is really in my range of "safe"... except for maybe the bar soaps.

As for stopping using the thing I am allergic to and going back to the old one, I really only use 2 things on my face, a soap and a moisturizer. Both are new, and I can't tell if I'm allergic to something or just used too much of something.. either way I'm going to try a different thing for both.

edit ps I updated my blog with no make up pictures that I am proud of but then I got scared and made it private. Please don't stalk me.. :/ :/ :/

Last edited by St.Vincent; January 10th 2010 at 05:47 AM.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 10th 2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Is there any websites like this for UK brands?
I have searched some of the bands I used on there but they didn't show up.
I use shops own brands really like Boots No 7 and Natural Collection and Superdrugs Miss Sporty range. So I guess that is why they aren't showing up.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 10th 2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

Is there any websites like this for UK brands?
I have searched some of the bands I used on there but they didn't show up.
I use shops own brands really like Boots No 7 and Natural Collection and Superdrugs Miss Sporty range. So I guess that is why they aren't showing up.
This one's the only one I know of, but it's got a lot of stuff on it. One thing you can do is look up ingredients, but it might scare you because it literally thinks everything is scary. . On the other hand, looking up ingredients is a good idea:

Quote:
A careful reading of the labels on the "natural" and "organic" products reveals that most of the same poisonous chemicals, from SLS to artificial fragrance, make it into the natural products in almost as large quantities as their ordinary counterparts. Most products proudly advertise the elimination of one toxic ingredient, while quietly including others. Natural products that are truly safe and natural are harder to find

So you have to pick your battles. One thing I would say is that skincare should be simple and not too expensive. We live in a culture were everyone is about finding their "HG" (holy grail) skinny jeans, red lipstick, fragrance, skin regimen, but I don't think that's right. I think you should not try to define yourself through consumer products, because that encourages a dependence on the stuff. I don't think that you should ever feel like you need anything to look like yourself, or to look good. Of course, you're going to need some things for basic hygiene... but they're just things. You could replace them for similar things and be good just fine.

Right now, I'm just looking for cheap, simple, and low-toxicity things, and to be honest, I haven't spent any money on replacing things yet, because I found things in my house that worked fine. When I run out, I'll try something new.
</preach>
Edit:
yes, I have bars of organic soap and organic coconut oil lying around, but do not ask why

Last edited by St.Vincent; January 10th 2010 at 09:58 PM.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 10th 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not really a big fan of dove, for no good reason. I love their ad campaigns, though. And their chocolate. Is dove chocolate the same brand as dove soap? Because they used to have those cute wrappers with things written in them
Dove have chocolate Ive never seen it before.
Sorry for a little side question but where can I get it from?

Also maybe you could stop using just one of them for a couple of days, then swap and only use the other to find out which one youre allergic to.
And then that way if you know which one you are allergic to... you can check the ingredients and compare the ingredients to other products to see if theres something specific that you are allergic to and avoid it in the future

(#34 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 11th 2010, 09:49 PM

Ah, i stopped wearing makeup during 2009. Mainly because my skin is really oily and it's pointless to put it on as it just slides off anyway. I do feel and look more crap than ever, and my dark circles get me down but hey i'd rather be make-up free than look like a panda at the end of the day and also put tons of crap into my pores which requires more scrubs and stuff to remove it, thus irritating my already irritated and oily skin . I've never really liked the thought of putting stuff on my skin anyway, so back when i used makeup - i'd only use a bit of concealer and a bit of eyeliner/eyeshadow. I guess there's not a dramatic difference really buut sometimes i feel unfeminine!

Good thread btw, it's pretty informative and hopefully will promote positive change amongst us TH girls Good luck to you Edna, btw!

Oh ALSO, my doctor told me that dove soaps are good as they are PH balancing/have moisturiser in them? But i'm reluctant to try them on my facial skin as like i said i have irritable skin.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#35 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 12th 2010, 02:48 AM

i really wish my girlfriend would read this thread.

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

(#36 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 12th 2010, 08:31 PM

So I think this thread has gone in two directions for me, kind of interesting.

On one hand, I don't want to wear cosmetics. Cosmetics meaning things with pigments that you put over top of your skin to make yourself look better. Things like foundation, lipstick, eyeshadow... mascara. I've sworn off all of these quite easily. I kind of miss mascara and lipstick, but I realize it isn't catastrophic.

One other hand, after reading about how dangerous some of the ingredients are in cosmetics and skincare products, I also want to have a non-toxic skin care regimen and I want to know what's in my stuff and why it's there. I'm not really paranoid, I don't think, about make-up toxins.. but I like to relish in the fact that I can easily cut them out, and I am not dependent on them.

And finally, I want a skin care system that is minimal, simple, and cheap. I think I believe now that a lot of those scrubs and moisture balancing things just make skin more oily, less healthy, and more acne prone. I'm looking into simple things like OCM
and I feel like by cutting down on my consumption of mysterious body care products, I am making a choice to not fund an industry that sells lots of dangerous and dangerously untested ingredients to a largely ignorant public.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Helen... Offline
Hold On...
Average Joe

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 12th 2010, 08:57 PM

I don't know if you've heard of it but there's a company called Coastal Classic that have 0 toxicity and they're fairly cheap (I believe)
You could always check them out for your skincare stuff (Y)
dunno if they'll be any good like xD
(ps; sorry if naming brands isn't allowed on here... I just thought you might like to know)

-
Craig Owens

PM/VM me whenever

(#38 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 12th 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen... View Post
I don't know if you've heard of it but there's a company called Coastal Classic that have 0 toxicity and they're fairly cheap (I believe)
You could always check them out for your skincare stuff (Y)
dunno if they'll be any good like xD
(ps; sorry if naming brands isn't allowed on here... I just thought you might like to know)
AHH I totally visited their website a few days ago, but they don't sell to retailers so I figure the only way I'll be buying from them is over the internet. I might order a trial bag sometime, when the things I'm trying now run out and I feel like splashing some money

(#39 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 13th 2010, 02:14 AM

Kudos to you! I tend to feel better about myself the less makeup I wear, actually. I guess I'm odd. I've been a makeup minimalist for years now and it's great.. cheaper, healthier, all that good stuff.

Usually I wear nothing. If I want to feel pretty () I wear a mineral powder foundation (that ranks at a 2, apparently... not too shabby, I think? xD). Even though it's just a powder, it covers everything I need it to AND gets rid of under-eye bags. Like you, I love my mascara and lipstick. <3 I wear them infrequently, though. Sometimes for special occasions I wear eyeliner, but I touch my eyes too much and it ends up looking shit.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#40 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Cheers to an [Almost] Make-up Free 2010? - January 14th 2010, 11:30 PM

Just wanted to let you know that because of this thread I've stopped wearing foundation/tinted moisturiser on an every day basis. I just wash face, put E45 on (stopped using proper face moisturiser now.. E45 works so well for me!), put some mascara on and go.. no face make up..

I've not really seen an improvement yet but one of my friends said my skin was looking clearer!

Closed Thread